The Current State of South Africa

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowJoe

Reaction score
Everyone older in my family bring up what happened in the 1949 Durban Riots ( My ethnicity is Indian) and say how things happening at the moment with Xenophobia are heading the same way in terms of the violence.

Given how things are going with Eskom, our electrical supply being put on Stage 3 of load shedding (the highest before total blackout) and it's not even winter yet... I think that things are in a very dangerous state.

Any thoughts?

In the UK version of the Daly Mail it ran an article on that all white Afrikaans town getting ready for war, they reckon the non blacks ( Asian, Oriental, Hispanic and whites) are heading towards a catastrophe with the ever more militant black community.

This is what our news site said today:

"Police said a group of about 20 South Africans had gone on the rampage, looting shops and intimidating foreign shopowners.
Terrified shopowners, local and foreign, were forced to shut.
Reporters from the Daily News saw about 30 people armed with knobkieries and sticks.
They struck cars gridlocked in traffic with their weapons, screaming to white and Indian motorists to “f*** off” and chanting “Africa is for Africans
”."

I remember something similar from the mouth of a well respected African politician whose name escapes me at the moment, he said " it does not matter if that white family has been here for 30 years or 300 years they will never be accepted as African.

strange indeed mate..
SA is going rapidly down,ANC haven't delivered what it promised..streets aren't covered in gold and everyone doesn't have a rolls royce and a mansion..to many promises and the black community needs someone to blame and as ethnic Indian you kinda fit the profile for a scapegoat,so prep as much as you can and be ready to react quickly.

I wouldn't say ethnic indian lol, I don't identify with the culture but I have food, water and melee weapons to keep my family safe. A crossbow that I am having a hard time getting bolts for and no firearms sadly.

I wouldn't say ethnic indian lol, I don't identify with the culture but I have food, water and melee weapons to keep my family safe. A crossbow that I am having a hard time getting bolts for and no firearms sadly.
Are all firearms banned there?

It's not banned but the legislation makes it very difficult to get one. We have to prove to the police as individuals why we need a firearm and motivate. It's almost like it's at their discretion to allow us to have one or not. Recently there has also been a push to ban them in public places like malls but as we all know, criminals don't follow the rules.

The only work around I can think of is to become a hunter and get a licence for a bolt action rifle or similar. There is a hunting expo the following weekend that I want to attend but that's also because I have always wanted to hunt.

It's not banned but the legislation makes it very difficult to get one. We have to prove to the police as individuals why we need a firearm and motivate. It's almost like it's at their discretion to allow us to have one or not. Recently there has also been a push to ban them in public places like malls but as we all know, criminals don't follow the rules.

The only work around I can think of is to become a hunter and get a licence for a bolt action rifle or similar. There is a hunting expo the following weekend that I want to attend but that's also because I have always wanted to hunt.
I do want a gun for hunting, but it's not my first choice. I think civil unrest is more and more likely, and security is my main motivation. I will hunt if I'm ever hungry enough, and it's a great reason to use for getting a permit. I have no desire to harm anything, animal or person, unless they intend to do harm to me. I just never want to be defenseless against someone because there armed and I'm not. I see reports of the abuse and violence all over the world each day, and I never want to be a refugee herded like sheep.

I would far rather have even a 22 bolt action rifle than a stick, and you would be better with something like a 308 carbine than a crossbow if you can get one legally. I've seen the crime news for your country and most of the robberies and home attacks are by multiple felons, you NEED that rifle.

you seem to have the same problems with guns as I have here;just go the "I'm a hunter" route,I did,and as long as you "can" prove/say to the police it's for hunting it's okay, no need to drop that crossbow,helluwa weapon,just try ti fix some bolts for it. for melee weapons use your imagination, I have a small pick-axe,can dig with it and it's good as a weapon too,same goes with my trench spade..just prep

just watched Sky news from joburg, the local black south Africans are driving out the immigrants black and Asians, once they have ran out of those targets and the quality of life does not improve they will turn on the white community just like in Rhodesia.

afraid it will go that way,do you remember that Rhodesia used to be the bread basket of southern africa??? not any more..

I do want a gun for hunting, but it's not my first choice. I think civil unrest is more and more likely, and security is my main motivation. I will hunt if I'm ever hungry enough, and it's a great reason to use for getting a permit. I have no desire to harm anything, animal or person, unless they intend to do harm to me. I just never want to be defenseless against someone because there armed and I'm not. I see reports of the abuse and violence all over the world each day, and I never want to be a refugee herded like sheep.
My thoughts exactly, heck I even adjust my gait when walking so I don't step on the ants :)

But if it ever comes down to him/them/it or me, I won't spend any time doing the maths.

I am sorry to see the deterioration in security in SA. I had heard a little from blurbs on headline news, but with all the Middle East turmoil, it dosent get much mainstream attention here. I always had hoped I would travel to see the area one day. Without a doubt, it has been the Jewell of Africa for a long time. I hope they get things under control for everyone's sake.

My thoughts exactly, heck I even adjust my gait when walking so I don't step on the ants :)

But if it ever comes down to him/them/it or me, I won't spend any time doing the maths.
Hey grey! Yeah, my meat rabbits have pretty much become pet rabbits now. I even plant some of the garden for them. :). They really love kale.

I would far rather have even a 22 bolt action rifle than a stick, and you would be better with something like a 308 carbine than a crossbow if you can get one legally. I've seen the crime news for your country and most of the robberies and home attacks are by multiple felons, you NEED that rifle.

Thanks and yes, I really do neeed it.

@jontte, I will take pics and post in the blade section, I have a united cutlery solumbian sawback machete, a cold steel gladius machete, a flea-market but very strong full tang bowie knife, a survival knife, collapsable baton, throwing knives(the cheap rubbish kind but still sharp at the tip) and a 120 lbs crossbow.

Good,with that x-bow you can hunt too..what I have seen Maverick makes good finds from the flee market,so never underestimate those finds.
just keep preppeing as much as you can,news ain't good what gets here from there.

Latest posts

Back