Must Read The Cascadia Rising training exercise enters its second day

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
csz-from-ohs.jpg

On Tuesday, FEMA began a combined multi-level government, tribal, and private sector training exercise to test response to a major earthquake and resulting tsunami in the Pacific Northwest. Named Cascadia Rising, the exercise includes the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and the Province of British Columbia in Canada. The exercise is expected to involve more than 20,000 people, runs for a total of four days.

Placed as an attachment, a not so good exercise map of those participating and also the exercise scenario.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...local-emergency-managers-to-the-test.html.csp

For Amateur Radio Operators: Here are the frequencies for you!

Several operators have asked for the Cascadia Rising frequencies:

80m
3.945 MHz LSB Spokane & Region 1
3.955 MHz LSB Yakima & Region 3
3.985 MHz LSB Camp Murray & Regions 5 and 6
3.990 MHz LSB Grant County & Region 2*
3.995 MHz LSB Benton/Franklin & Region 4
60m
Center ‘Dial’ Frequency (USB) ‘Unofficial’ Channel Designation
5332.0 kHz 5330.5 kHz Channel 1
5348.0 kHz 5346.5 kHz Channel 2
5358.5 kHz 5357.0 kHz Channel 3
5373.0 kHz 5371.5 kHz Channel 4
5405.0 kHz 5403.5 kHz Channel 5
40m
7.235 MHz LSB Spokane & Region 1
7.240 MHz LSB Yakima and Region 3
7.245 MHz LSB Camp Murray & Region 5 and 6
7.255 MHz LSB Grant and Region 2
7.260 MHz LSB Benton/Franklin and Region 4
20m
14.285 MHz USB Region 1 & 2 with CBCG (Spokane/Grant)
14.296 MHz USB Region 3 & 4 with Yakima/Benton/Franklin

Amateur Radio Frequencies with reported Exercise Traffic:
3964 has been the most active
3985 is the WA EOC freq for Camp Murray
FEMA NCS heard on 5330.5
7.248 Traffic-OREGON
146.420 Clackamas County, OR
147.58 Portland, OR
146.415 Milwaukee, OR
146.840 Portland, OR
5135.0 FEMA NCS
147.580 OR
146.420 West Lynn, OR
146.420 Lake Oswego
net going on 7.248
3964 – activity and roll call
Amateur Radio group near Philadelphia Pa. will be running a NTS traffic net this evening in support of Cascadia rising. Frequency will be near or around 7.185 LSB. They will try and pass NTS traffic to / from Pacific Northwest.

Attachments

• Hub-locations-map-hours-Cascadia-Rising-drill-June-2016.jpg
    Hub-locations-map-hours-Cascadia-Rising-drill-June-2016.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Cascadia_Rising_low_1.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 3
I'm sure I read a theory some place that if a large enough chunk of the Cascadia fault slips the "P" ?? waves could also trigger the New Madrid fault in the middle of the US, I dont know much about the knock on effects of big faultline slips but I think I would be looking pretty damn close at Yellowstone if Cascadia let rip.

Last edited:
Generally speaking one earthquake doesn't act as a trigger to another unless the faults are connected and very little science to even support that notion, the madrid fault isn't connected to any of the faults on the west coast nor will an subduction zone EQ trigger the madrid fault, the EQ that can deliver the 9.0+ isn't from a fault but an locked plate in the subduction of the tectonic plate ;) EQs by SZ or by faults have very little relations if any to causing volcano eruptions. Magma moving upward is caused by the pressures of the earths core not locked zones or fault stresses that causes earthquakes ;)

Last edited:
Really Silent Earth...I have enough nightmares without thinking that it would have a Cascade effect (no pun here intended). First, Yellowstone. my wife's entire family will be extinguished in about a minute because they live just north of the Yellowstone in Bozeman and Livingston, Montana. New Madrid, while we don't live near the fault line, I do believe that their is a trickle down effect of what we are seeing with shift plates moving in Oklahoma. Prepping for a tornado is pretty much a routine for Tornado Alley folks, but earthquakes, what EM places any money or effort into preparing for one of them. On the money spent at county level EM's, all efforts are placed toward wildfire and then tornado.

Much of Yellowstone deposit field is southwest all the way to southern Cali in the last catastrophic eruption but all other eruptions thereafter have been substantially smaller for the simple fact that the chamber is venting pressure such as today but still blown southwest. The Madrid is far smaller than cascadia and the only reason it's a big deal is the fact that it has the potential to disrupt a major distribution hub and that major building codes are not set for anything above a 6.5 not so much in deaths. The Madrid is in disruption whereas cascadia is in destruction and deaths.

csz-from-ohs.jpg

On Tuesday, FEMA began a combined multi-level government, tribal, and private sector training exercise to test response to a major earthquake and resulting tsunami in the Pacific Northwest. Named Cascadia Rising, the exercise includes the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and the Province of British Columbia in Canada. The exercise is expected to involve more than 20,000 people, runs for a total of four days.

Placed as an attachment, a not so good exercise map of those participating and also the exercise scenario.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...local-emergency-managers-to-the-test.html.csp

For Amateur Radio Operators: Here are the frequencies for you!

Several operators have asked for the Cascadia Rising frequencies:

80m
3.945 MHz LSB Spokane & Region 1
3.955 MHz LSB Yakima & Region 3
3.985 MHz LSB Camp Murray & Regions 5 and 6
3.990 MHz LSB Grant County & Region 2*
3.995 MHz LSB Benton/Franklin & Region 4
60m
Center ‘Dial’ Frequency (USB) ‘Unofficial’ Channel Designation
5332.0 kHz 5330.5 kHz Channel 1
5348.0 kHz 5346.5 kHz Channel 2
5358.5 kHz 5357.0 kHz Channel 3
5373.0 kHz 5371.5 kHz Channel 4
5405.0 kHz 5403.5 kHz Channel 5
40m
7.235 MHz LSB Spokane & Region 1
7.240 MHz LSB Yakima and Region 3
7.245 MHz LSB Camp Murray & Region 5 and 6
7.255 MHz LSB Grant and Region 2
7.260 MHz LSB Benton/Franklin and Region 4
20m
14.285 MHz USB Region 1 & 2 with CBCG (Spokane/Grant)
14.296 MHz USB Region 3 & 4 with Yakima/Benton/Franklin

Amateur Radio Frequencies with reported Exercise Traffic:
3985 is the WA EOC freq for Camp Murray
FEMA NCS heard on 5330.5
7.248 Traffic-OREGON
146.420 Clackamas County, OR
147.58 Portland, OR
146.415 Milwaukee, OR
146.840 Portland, OR
5135.0 FEMA NCS
147.580 OR
146.420 West Lynn, OR
146.420 Lake Oswego
net going on 7.248
3964 – activity and roll call
Amateur Radio group near Philadelphia Pa. will be running a NTS traffic net this evening in support of Cascadia rising. Frequency will be near or around 7.185 LSB. They will try and pass NTS traffic to / from Pacific Northwest.
Let's all hope these drills are going to not be needed for a few hundred more years...... I prep for emergencies and or any disruption life may throw at us, but I honestly hope that all I've done just stays a fun hobby.

Does owning 72 weapons count as being an American Survivalist, or simply god fearing and careful kin folk? Oh and the wife's sister in law is the dead eye of the family. She use to be nationally ranked in black powder during nationals. Wonder why I keep my head low. :p
What only 72? Seems perfectly acceptable to me :)

Let's all hope these drills are going to not be needed for a few hundred more years...... I prep for emergencies and or any disruption life may throw at us, but I honestly hope that all I've done just stays a fun hobby.

USGS, WSU and OSU all say It Will Happen Within 50yrs. According to geo records the plate releases the pressure every 300 years and right now we are 16yrs past due (figuratively speaking) though in geological time 16yrs is insignificant. The cascadia quake in 1700 caused coastal destruction in Japan ;) Research 'great tsunami of 1700' and 'washington state dead forest' this is why all the concern in the PNW.

USGS, WSU and OSU all say It Will Happen Within 50yrs. According to geo records the plate releases the pressure every 300 years and right now we are 16yrs past due (figuratively speaking) though in geological time 16yrs is insignificant. The cascadia quake in 1700 caused coastal destruction in Japan ;) Research 'great tsunami of 1700' and 'washington state dead forest' this is why all the concern in the PNW.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of info on Yellowstone in particular. The lake bed that's been rising for years is disturbing to say the least. They found a sunken steam ship due to the magma rising. I'm just being hopefully optimistic here. Some things aren't very pleasant to dwell on. I think Yellowstone is way overdue geologically speaking. I try to focus on the day to day things I can attempt to control. Having a way to feed yourself, stay secure, and learning as much as I can about self sufficiency. I can't control Mother Nature, but am smart enough to not live in an area that is a know time bomb waiting to go off, weather it be a volcano, tornado prone area, or whatever. There are unforeseen things in life, but you can help minimize some of the known ones by choosing where to live,

Responders hone parachuting, other skills at doomsday drill

"The parachutes slowly float down from Chinook helicopters, first carrying boxes of supplies and then the paratroopers who set up a field operations center as part of a readiness drill for a megaquake and tsunami"

"SHELTON, Wash. The parachutes slowly float down from Chinook helicopters, first carrying boxes of supplies and then the paratroopers who set up a field operations center as part of a readiness drill for a megaquake and tsunami. Chief Warrant Officer James Pierce packed up his parachute and grabbed his gear shortly after hitting the ground Thursday at Sanderson Field, an airfield in the small city of Shelton on the west side of Puget Sound."

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/latest-news/article82941197.html

Not much we can do about the geological earth except live and be-aware! Yellowstone is venting, not much to worry about and to ease some minds, if the information doesn't explicitly come from the teams that's working Yellowstone then I would take it with a grain of salt ;)
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/faqs_misconceptions.html

Here are the geo teams, FYI, Lisa worked under Bob Smith for a year and a half.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/multimedia_videos.html
It always seemed to me that they could drill in Yellowstone to help out with the venting. Instead of producing oil or water you could produce lava. I just wouldn't want to work the rig when it struck 'gold,.
I did some reading on the cascadia fault. It looks like the longest time between pressure release was maybe 900 yrs. the bad part is the longer the time, the more powe full it is when it slips. I believe it said it slides about 2.4 inches a year. Multiply that out a little better than 300 yrs and you can see where all that energy comes from when it lets go. Pretty interesting stuff, and a little scary.

We have 12 popular hot springs and about 70 hard to get at hot springs, we have 3 hot springs in my county so a lot of energy formed under Washington, in southern Oregon they had magma come up through the ground no where near volcano's out in the valley west of the mountain ranges. People out here tend to get complacent and forget everything around and under them is alive very much alive and moving, much of the majestic cliffs we have here is basalt an igneous rock meaning it was formed by lava and contains a lot of iron (reason a lot of people got lost here, compass don't work in certain parts of the state)

2014spring-basalt9.jpg

Latest posts

Back