The best brand?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not debating, some of SOGs products are of top quality. Kabar is a good knife as well. Take a look at their magnum camp, very attractive knife.

I like the full size SOG Seal I don't need the pup . SOG did bring out a econamy line last year that does not look as good of quality as there other . I'm taking the family to East TN this summer and planning on stoping at Smokey Mnt Knife Works and picking up a few items maby a Becker . The SOG'S I have now seem well made and do what they are suposed to . And they have R Lee Ermy not that that makes the product any better but I'm a fan of his .

Ok Roni I just flipped back to prev page and saw your Cold Steel rant I'm going to start searching some of the online stores to see what I can find I know they make a nice fighting Tanto I kind of like a Bowie blade . I may pick one up When I go to SMKW this summer . Didn't know much about Cold Steel as they came on the scene about the same time other companies did .

The Recon Scout is a great 7.5 inch bowie!!!! I've used other knifes in field and they all failed some way or another not the Recon Scout. Gerber was always fragile. Buck unreliable quality. Benchmade overpriced for what you got. Spyderco keeps too thin of a blade. SOG as well just too thin (Broke the tips off several seal pups). I may be too hard on knifes in field but, that's why I payed for the better stuff. Kabar is a good knife but, never liked their blade designs until recently( I like the look of the magnum camp and the Becker line ain't half bad) the tang on the Marine Kabar knife was always a little too thin for my taste.
recon scout (2).jpg

recon scout costum.JPG

This one is mine. Its been to north and central Africa and back with me. I ground off the top guard so that its easier to choke up for fine work and removed the Teflon and blued it. This one has saved my life 3 times including a rabid dog that attack me while sleeping. It also went right through an enemy flack vest. I love this knife....

My favorite is actually Puma, but they don't exactly fit the "reasonably priced" criteria. I used to carry Uncle Henry belt and pocket knives. I always respected the Buck brand, they just didn't appeal to me that much.

My favorite little pocketknife was a Gerber Silver Knight. Steel about as good as you can find. I don't remember the harness but it was way up there and it did hold an awesome edge. Had two of them and lost both of them.:rolleyes:

Which reminds me. I have a terrible time hanging on to pocket knives. They just disappear. I've even lost three, count them, THREE Puma folding knives. These cost over a hundred bucks back in the early 70's.:(

Many many years ago, decades ago, the Uncle Henry's had a one year guarantee against loss. So I thought, YEAH that's what I need, a knife GUARANTEED against loss, so I got an Uncle Henry pocketknife, fully expecting to lose it within a year. Well DANG if the guarantee didn't work! I STILL have that Uncle Henry knife to the very day! (and I still lose pocketknives like crazy)o_O

This is an epic post.

So it turns out Roninsensei might just be the best knife salesman of all-time. My wife and I are getting some Cold Steel after reading your recommendations. Perhaps a couple Double Agents(His & hers), Peace Maker III, and I think I'll get us some Mini Tacs his & hers, too. We are digging the Kali-karambit-use anything type of fighting, so I've been eyeing karambits for a long time. I don't like the sheaths for the Double Agents, but perhaps I can get some custom sheaths made.

I really appreciate what you're saying about the owner, too. I didn't know he was the one in the videos, but I like hearing good news about American manufacturers like this. I'm actually debating getting their kitchen knife set, too.

The double agent isn't a very good knife for karambit work.. The second finger hole blocks a lot of the easy release work. It was designed as a grapplers knife.

I own there kitchen set and have no complaints..

the steel tiger is a better karambit

Smokey Moutain Kife Works last 2 catalogs have had multiple pages of Cold Steel knives . We stop by there anytime we go to East TN . I'm planning on a OSS , Gladius , Frountier Hawk and what ever My Son picks out .

The double agent isn't a very good knife for karambit work.. The second finger hole blocks a lot of the easy release work. It was designed as a grapplers knife... The steel tiger is a better karambit

I was wondering about that. I was thinking it would be an advantage because of the improved retention, but thought if that were the case, other companies would have adopted the design- Barring any patent restrictions.

Roninsensei, are you into tactics with blades? I knew you were into knives, but I wasn't sure if that was from a working tool perspective, collector's or a tacticians... I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start another on, but I would appreciate your opinion on something I saw on karambit technique and knife fighting in general.

I am the tactical knife fighting instructor for my security firm. I have been doing martial arts for 36 years and been in enough blade to blade moments to make my hair go white early....lol PM me with any and all questions regarding knife play...

Ka-Bar and Cold Steel though I preferred if CS would have stuck with Carbon V all my SRK knifes are carbon v - I purchased the newer SRK using the aus8a steel but found it didn't hold as good as the carbon v blade and gave it away, anyway, I like and prefer Ka-Bar and Cold Steel (carbon steel knifes) not much for stainless steel

When Camillus went out of business cold steel lost there carbon V. Their sk5 is totally comparable. Cpm 3v steel they are using is incredible, best I've ever used including Carbon V.

Carbon V was originally a Sharon steel patent then they went belly up in 1988. Then Camillis copied the process and when the Camillis went belly up they refused to sell it. The CPM 3v steel is the current equivalent but I've found edge retention to be better. Carbon V is kind of a cursed process steel. Every company that has tried has gone under eventually. Mainly I think they all avoid the name now.. lol! Camillis came back in 2009 all the intellectual properties were bought by Acme United for a meager 200,000 dollars and they relaunched the name. Many Knife experts say it's Camillis in name only. Buyer beware.

Knives that I trust
For everyday victorinox alox soldier, car knife glock m78,
Woods knife bark river aurora.
Urban knife - esee izula or esee 3, extrema ratio shrapnel.
For doomsday knife - bark river sts-5, esee junglas, rmj shrike tomahawk, kabar becker bk7, fallkniven f1.

Latest posts

Back