the bedroll, the warmest sleeping bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
I see a shit ton of people using ulrltralight compressed synthetic super magic tactical sleeping bags. It seems everyone has fprgot about the warmest and most versitile bedding system ever devised, the bedroll. Two woolnblankets and a canvas tarp. Light easy to carry and waterproof ( the wool blankets are carried rolled up inside the canvas tarp) thos system rivals the warmth of the priciest sleeping bag out there. When laid out and folded up correctly youll never be cold or wet again...not to mention that wool retains 80% of its insulative properties when wet. And the canvas tarp and blankets can be used for damn near anything, shelter, bedding, an improvised stretcher, wool fluff as tinder, cut into bandages. Look to the old backwoodsmen, they know their stuff

Actually, feather down sleeping bags are the lightest, most compact and warmest bags you can get. Most people are naturally allergic to wool. Unless you use it to get past point of making you itch wool will drive you crazy. Two wool blankets and a tarp will be considerable weight and space.

Down sleeping bags are great for cold weather, but miserable for any other weather. I made the mistake of taking one on a spring camping trip where the weather was just cool and I was sweating like crazy.

Wool on your skin does itch unless you have a soft wool like Angora, Merino, or Cashmere. They are quite expensive though. So just don't let it touch your skin...

I have a small soft wool blanket I usually use as a leg warmer or like a huge shawl, and sometimes to augment my sleeping bag. It's just large enough to cover my body. It will roll up small enough to fit in a grocery sack.

I see a shit ton of people using ulrltralight compressed synthetic super magic tactical sleeping bags. It seems everyone has fprgot about the warmest and most versitile bedding system ever devised, the bedroll. Two woolnblankets and a canvas tarp. Light easy to carry and waterproof ( the wool blankets are carried rolled up inside the canvas tarp) thos system rivals the warmth of the priciest sleeping bag out there. When laid out and folded up correctly youll never be cold or wet again...not to mention that wool retains 80% of its insulative properties when wet. And the canvas tarp and blankets can be used for damn near anything, shelter, bedding, an improvised stretcher, wool fluff as tinder, cut into bandages. Look to the old backwoodsmen, they know their stuff
I would add a sheet or a couple of sheet with 2 of the edges sewn together. It would keep the wool off the skin and it would be great during the warm nights that we have during the Summer, Spring, Fall, and even often during the Winter. The sheet will help keep some of the Florida State birds, the mosquito, off of you during the evening.

The great thing about wool is it will still help keep you warm even when you get wet.

I would add a sheet or a couple of sheet with 2 of the edges sewn together. It would keep the wool off the skin and it would be great during the warm nights that we have during the Summer, Spring, Fall, and even often during the Winter. The sheet will help keep some of the Florida State birds, the mosquito, off of you during the evening.

The great thing about wool is it will still help keep you warm even when you get wet.

We use sewn sheets backpacking in the summer.

I see several comments here about the dis-advantages of wool. I have been using wool my whole life out on the trap line and for hunting. I have to admit that early wool products did tend to itch some. But I've been buying Point blankets from NW Traders (http://www.nwtrader.com/) for about 20 years now and these don't seem to have the itching problem. My wife uses these on our beds at home and for lap blankets. I prefer the Horse Rug blanket or the Chiefs blanket along with the canvas bedroll, and have used them (semi comfortably) down to -30. I think most peoples negative experience with wool comes from using the old cheap surplus wool products. My favorite canvas bedroll is from Montana Canvas at http://www.montanacanvas.com/products/insulated-bedroll I can roll this up with a couple wool blankets and tie them on the back of my saddle or on the 4 wheeler. I always keep a wool blanket in each vehicle and a couple in the Argo and in the boat. It all comes down to personal preference.

Wool and canvas, heavy, bulky, but bomb proof and time tested.
Down. All around great until it gets wet. Any type of moisture, rain/condensation makes down near worthless.
New synthetics are between weight of wool and down and still works when wet. But can be bulky.

I personally have a western mountaineering 10 degree bags use hiking. However if I was worried about long term hard use. It would be either wool or synthetic. Down can get nasty losing loft / insulating ability.

Latest posts

Back