Teen needs advice on prepping!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylandrew98

Reaction score
I am a teenager living in Ireland. I am preparing for whatever may come my way. I live in the countryside 1 mile from a large town.
This is my first time prepping, and I don't have much money. I need advice on a B.O.B, Bug Out Location, and a bit of general advice. I have lived in the country for all my life, I know all the fields, ditches, and routes trough fields to get many miles away very fast and un-noticed, there is an overgrown forest and river full of salmon and other fish just 1/2 a mile away down one of the fields. I am saving for my 18th birthday to buy a shotgun, because of the law here, you must be at least 18 apply for a solo licence. I have started collecting tines of food and bottles of fresh water. Any hunting tips or advice you can share with me?

learn to sail :) If you ever need to leave Ireland it is serious shtf.

1. Shelter
2. Water
3. Food
4. Security
5. Comfort

Hunting Rule #1: Know your local hunting laws.

My municipality is around as long as Ireland, perhaps comes close to it in size...
difference being 5000 people live in my municipality 4.5 million live in Ireland... The Irish are honed in on survival.

If you do decide to go for a gun.. checkout

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/POPULAR QUESTIONS IN RELATION TO FIREARM APPLICATIONS .pdf

I'm geussing it will run you between $300-1000 for a gun, while 150-300 for a bow.

You might want to practice stalking for a while with or without a bow...

Sounds like you have deer and smaller animals there a shotgun will probably be the best gun choice for you to hunt... although even a crossbow would probably be enough or bow if you are strong enough.

Strade and Killarney look like the areas I would want to head for if there was a SHTF in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innisfallen_Island

learn as much as you can about how the monks lived.

This might be a good stop over before you head to the island
http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/South-West/RossCastle/

learn to swim half a km.

Hey, I'm a teenage prepper too. This is what's in my bug out bag:
Newspaper, to use for fires.
2 belts, to use as tourniquets if necessary.
A roll of toilet paper.
A handkerchief and a washcloth.
Coffee, for trade.
4 bottles of water and 4 cans of food.
Antiseptic spray.
sunblock
Hydrocortisone cream,
bug spray
A bar of soap
bandaids
hand sanitizer
ibuprofen
samples of laundry detergent
mouthwash
toothpaste
amoxicillin
extra clothes
paracord
a lighter
and a sleeping bag.

The bug out location that you're speaking of sounds good, the only potential problem I can think of is that 1/2 a mile isn't very far... if you live in a populated area then a lot of people could be thinking the same thing you are, or when you need to create a fire the smoke could be seen from where you are now.

General advice, it's not just about the materials you have, but the knowledge as well. Read up about first aid, how to stitch wounds, treat animal bites, etc. I have a notebook full of how to administer first aid, how to treat wounds, animal bites, and which medications to use for what.

The bug out location that you're speaking of sounds good, the only potential problem I can think of is that 1/2 a mile isn't very far... if you live in a populated area then a lot of people could be thinking the same thing you are, or when you need to create a fire the smoke could be seen from where you are now.

There are only 400 people in a mile radius, but 5 miles down the road there is a giant neighborhood with about 5,000 people. the field is a privater field that has been in my granddad's family for 3 generations. The field, although close, is very high up and is surrounded by a deep fresh water spring on 3 sides and a large open field on the other.

Read up about first aid, how to stitch wounds, treat animal bites, etc. I have a notebook full of how to administer first aid, how to treat wounds, animal bites, and which medications to use for what.

I have been training with the order of Malta, It is a first aid emergency response group that trains you in everything from cuts and bruises, to spinal damage and stitching. I have red about herbal Medicine and learned how to use use then from my granddad.

Also, do you drive? I would stock up on gasoline.

I am too young to drive but am a very skilled driver after training for 6 years on and off private roads.

Stock pile beer and whiskey

I am too young to buy beer, but I have made a still and live within walking distance to a large barley field and an orchard.

I have a striped down vintage vw beetle with 2 55 gallon oil drums welded on, its not very powerful when it is full of gas, and was only designed for a bit of fun when I was 14.

Hunting Rule #1: Know your local hunting laws.

I am a Jr. member of the local hunting club. the rules are that you can only hunt large game during winter, but you can hunt present and other smaller game and rodents any time if its on your own property.

kolydascope made a good point.it might be a good idea to go furthure then 1/2 mile.and as for the fire goes.make sure the wood is dry as pssible.dry wood creates less smoke compared to green and/or wet wood..and might want to make sure there's plenty of tree branchs above the fire,on acount they filter the smoke..and make sure the fire is well hid so it wont be seen at a distance.1 person out of 400 might turn out to be someone you cant trust.which means that person might decide to take every thing you have.might even decide to kill you if it comes to that.5000 people that are further down the road..how many of them can be trusted to do whats right?as for the vw.the tank is a good idea.you might want to go with a more powerfull engine.and add a trailer hitch to it so you can pull a small trailer with it if needed.you can haul what you need to your bug out location that way if needed.you mentioned a creek.a water filtration system be a good idea when it comes to that.but like other people your money is limited.so buy what you can when you can.learn how to set snares for the smaller game for food.

Thank you jimLE, our comunity is very close, about 50 of them are close family and have grown up off the land farming, I do plan on upgrading the 1560~ cc engine to a larger engine and adding equipment such as winches, lights and a tow hook.

it also could prove to be a good idea to take a diffrent route every time you go to the bug out location.that way you dont create a trail or road to it while getting it set-up like you need it..a cross bow and/or bow n arrow are good when you need to hunt quietly..you seem to have a good head on your shoulders.and for someone young as you are,thats real great.

it also could prove to be a good idea to take a diffrent route every time you go to the bug out location.that way you dont create a trail or road to it while getting it set-up like you need it..a cross bow and/or bow n arrow are good when you need to hunt quietly..you seem to have a good head on your shoulders.and for someone young as you are,thats real great.

I have not thought about that yet, but i should, I usually only take one route unless it is blocked by floods or trees, i will look at an ordinance map and satalite image of the area and find more routes to the location. I might be smart now, but i still have a lot to tell and learn.

good ideas about the map and image.we all have a lot to learn and tell.and what one item route or what ever might be good for one person,but it might not be true for someone else..well im watching doomsday bunkers..laters

Learn something that could be useful in a doomsday scenario like herbs, bee keeping, alcohol making, tanning, canning, medical knowledge, trapping anything that could make you useful to someone else or could provide you items for trade.

Learn something that could be useful in a doomsday scenario like herbs, bee keeping, alcohol making, tanning, canning, medical knowledge, trapping anything that could make you useful to someone else or could provide you items for trade.
i make moonshine all the time

i've always had somewhat of a green thumb.and i've been doing some web searching last few minutes.and saveing diffrent sites to my fave's so i can go back and buy plants/seeds when needed..i just ordored a packet of tobacco seeds.and there'll be 175+ seeds in the packet.pluse they'll come with instruction on when how to plant them,right along with other info i need to know..

yeah,thats so true.and of course,that means staying well armed and keeping plenty of ammo on hand just in case..

its the world we live in, cant trust anyone, so thats why if i would bug out i will most likely go alone, and other people will slow me down

Latest posts

Back