Tanto Knives

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krime

M.I.A.
Reaction score
you can get a nice bowie for around $20, a good one for about $50 and a Hibben for $100+
i got lucky with my find i think, but we'll see just how lucky i was when it arrives lol.

you can get a nice bowie for around $20, a good one for about $50 and a Hibben for $100+
i got lucky with my find i think, but we'll see just how lucky i was when it arrives lol.
I figure a middle of the of the road knife should be fine. I don't need to perform surgery with it... But then again you never know...

well the thing with the big knife you get (bowie or such) is that you need it to preform. with a big knife you can split branches for shelter, or even carve up you hunted catch. if you get some cheap pos (as i may have just bought lol) from china, you have the possability of the blade bending or even snaping in half.
i would recommend a good demascus steel bowie, although their a little pricey (bout mid price that i mentioned above on e-bay)

well the thing with the big knife you get (bowie or such) is that you need it to preform. with a big knife you can split branches for shelter, or even carve up you hunted catch. if you get some cheap pos (as i may have just bought lol) from china, you have the possability of the blade bending or even snaping in half.
i would recommend a good demascus steel bowie, although their a little pricey (bout mid price that i mentioned above on e-bay)
I am also looking for a defensive knife as well. perhaps a tanto. I like the ones by Cold Steel.

Maybe I should start a forum for blades.

I am also looking for a defensive knife as well. perhaps a tanto. I like the ones by Cold Steel.

Maybe I should start a forum for blades.

ya cold steel is one of the best, couldnt see the video wii n all, but I have a thread started on knives if that helps, but the many different kinds i guess would help too.

when i quoted you the video popped up and i was able to watch it, all i can say is WOW!
Thats one bad ### KNIFE!
my only problem is, i want a bigger blade, other than that that knife would be perfect! i wonder if they make the wakasashi?

when i quoted you the video popped up and i was able to watch it, all i can say is WOW!
Thats one bad ### KNIFE!
my only problem is, i want a bigger blade, other than that that knife would be perfect! i wonder if they make the wakasashi?
Here are the different blade lengths that Cold Steel makes for the Tanto blades.

csstoreonline_2212_5574783

They come in a 6", 7 1/2", 9", and 12" blade lengths.

you got a price or a site on those?
Here is what I found;

csstoreonline_2212_5676731

Master Tanto with Concealex sheath
Specifications:
Weight: 9.5 oz.
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Blade Length: 6"
Handle: 5 1/2" long. Kray-Ex™
Steel: VG-1 San Mai III®
Overall Length: 11 1/2"
Sheath: Concealex
$445.98
csstoreonline_2212_5713521

Magnum Tanto II
Specifications:
Blade: 7 1/2"
Overall: 13 1/8"
Weight: 11.4 oz
Thickness: 3/16"
$449.99
csstoreonline_2212_5742737

Magnum Tanto IX
Specifications:
Blade: 9"
Overall: 14 5/8"
Weight: 11.9 oz.
$479.99
csstoreonline_2212_5772043

Magnum Tanto XII
Specifications:
Blade: 12"
Overall: 17 5/8"
Weight: 14.2 oz.
$599.99

UnHoly Hell!
Thats freaken expensive!!!
But it does look worth the price to pay vs the value of the knife.
Yeah I too had sticker shock. But, I guess like everything... quality costs.
I will have to go to South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa and check out the knife store there.

ive heard that the tanto knives were a good fit for a defense weapon, as well as the ka-bar (father was a marine) ,, guess its what you get used to . me myself i like
$%28KGrHqRHJFUE-k0+f%28YyBPpbzcihbw%7E%7E60_12.JPG
this , or
$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW9BvBQk,0VkzT%21%7E%7E60_57.JPG

As far as knives go I'd be very hesitant to spend to much on a tool. In a survival situation you want a knife that can take the abuse sure but I have trouble seeing the point in dumping to much of my funding here. Sure I would love a tom brown tracker but the cost is prohibitive. My point is don't spend to much on a knife because you may be unwilling to beat it up when you need to.

I use a SOG seal pup as my beat to hell knife which I also train with as a thrower and my survival knife is a gerber LMF. I also carry a longhunter and a roach belly that I use for practically everything.

My martial arts group also trains extensively with knife fighting and we have been throwing around the idea of investing in a set of shock knives to train with.

As far as knives go I'd be very hesitant to spend to much on a tool. In a survival situation you want a knife that can take the abuse sure but I have trouble seeing the point in dumping to much of my funding here. Sure I would love a tom brown tracker but the cost is prohibitive. My point is don't spend to much on a knife because you may be unwilling to beat it up when you need to.

I use a SOG seal pup as my beat to hell knife which I also train with as a thrower and my survival knife is a gerber LMF. I also carry a longhunter and a roach belly that I use for practically everything.

My martial arts group also trains extensively with knife fighting and we have been throwing around the idea of investing in a set of shock knives to train with.
How's the throwing aspect to this knife?

you really can throw just about anything with a little practice just make sure you don't mind damaging your knife a bit. here is what I think regarding the seal pup and throwing. it's a little light and the blade could be a bit more hefty.

I train in a no spin throw which means I have less range but on the plus side I'll always (ideally) hit point first. I really do think people focus to much on worrying about the balance of this or that and have found that a little bit of training overcomes most difficulties

I have gained an appreciation for Mora and Condor knives they are inexpensive and i have put them through some stress test of my own and found that for what i would use them for they are great, and they keep and edge like you wouldn't believe. just my experiences and opinions, but cost seems to be getting people now days so i just thought i would throw those two out there

I have gained an appreciation for Mora and Condor knives they are inexpensive and i have put them through some stress test of my own and found that for what i would use them for they are great, and they keep and edge like you wouldn't believe. just my experiences and opinions, but cost seems to be getting people now days so i just thought i would throw those two out there

I don't know anything about mora but I definitely agree that condor is definitely worth it

Latest posts

Back