Takeing care of sick children

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Thought I put it here as I'll be doing this for 5 weeks more at childrens ER.
kinda make a diary of it,put here what I notice and learn and pass it to you all.
yes those kids are humans too,but very small ones :) therefore one observation I made already; if you have to put iv-fluids into a child (shtf situation) be very careful how much.
the amount you as an adult can take can easily lead to the point where the child actually will
drown 'cause the excess amount of that fluid will fill its lungs (pulmonary edema).
so if you have get fluids into a small child it's better to use a tiny,tiny hose which you insert through the nose into the stomach,way more secure,but the kids don't like that much,who does.
hopefully we never need to do this,but remember this.
more will come as my practicum continues.

Last edited:
just a small reminder;whatever you have to do,if it's likely to cause some extra pain,just give some mild pain killer to the kid,it's so much more easy to fix the boo-boo without causing any more pain...
and I have a vague feeling that Gaz and Brent have said this too;WASH your hands,will prevent you spreading the flu and the shits...

Thought I put it here as I'll be doing this for 5 weeks more at childrens ER.
kinda make a diary of it,put here what I notice and learn and pass it to you all.
yes those kids are humans too,but very small ones :) therefore one observation I made already; if you have to put iv-fluids into a child (shtf situation) be very careful how much.
the amount you as an adult can take can easily lead to the point where the child actually will
drown 'cause the excess amount of that fluid will fill its lungs (pulmonary edema).
so if you have get fluids into a small child it's better to use a tiny,tiny hose which you insert through the nose into the stomach,way more secure,but the kids don't like that much,who does.
hopefully we never need to do this,but remember this.
more will come as my practicum continues.
Kids always made me nervous! Like you, I spent a few weeks training on them, but then went to work on adults 99% of the time, so kind of forgot the conversion of meds, etc. getting an iv into a child can be a challenge as well. I always admired the people who specialized with them, and we're able to take a moment and get them calm and relaxed.

it's scary sometimes with those meds,conversion,check and double check that you have the right one,and as a newbie ask someone more experienced;this is okay? despite that you know it,sofar seen a couple of docs fail to insert the iv-needle,so it's not a walk in the park for them either ;)
but to teach a nurse (as a student) how to make a soft splint for a patient felt kinda good :)

..kind words and a smile,a soothing tone takes you miles ahead when dealing with children,showing them you care,makes them feel secure :)
sometimes those small ones don't wanna take any pain reliefe,they try to be brave,it's you who talk to them and make them understand there's nothing wrong in takeing some to take the pain away...among one of the lessons learned today.

..kind words and a smile,a soothing tone takes you miles ahead when dealing with children,showing them you care,makes them feel secure :)
sometimes those small ones don't wanna take any pain reliefe,they try to be brave,it's you who talk to them and make them understand there's nothing wrong in takeing some to take the pain away...among one of the lessons learned today.
Working with sick kids can make you humble really quick.

You really have a very gentle heart my friend. . . that in itself speaks volumes! When it comes to innocent kids, the heart just tends to pour out cause their future is in your hands, more or less. They will be the leaders of our countries when we are old and cant wipe our own a**es anymore. Treat them well cause I am hoping that when they grow up, they will remember the kindness shown. Now that the boys are all grown and makin babies of their own. . . I am lovin this new Nana stage of my life!

don't know if I told you this,but it comes with a small warning to all dog owners,though you are most likely very responsible here ; this was something I hope no parent to experience,a small boy was defacto ripped very bad by their family dog,and the sad part in it was,it was not the first time boy got bitten :(
so please be careful,it wasn't easy to clean all the wounds and to patch him up good enough so we could transfer him to surgery,but despite some bad things love it at the ER,next week I'm gonna quibble for more difficult tasks from the doc's there,they clearly didn't know what I already have been thought to do and it shouldn't be any problems as they are always present :D

then we have this rs-virus (respiratory syntical virus) very dangerous to small children under 2 yrs,older than that it's like a common flu,so be on the look out if you have kids under 2 and they get flu-like symptoms,it could be this rs and it affects the upper respiratory systems of the child,difficult to breath,loads of snot and they sure don't like that,so the sooner you get a doc to check the child the better.

Last edited:
then we this rs-virus (respiratory syntical virus) very dangerous to small children under 2 yrs,older than that it's like a common flu,so be on the look out if you have kids under 2 and they get flu-like symptoms,it could be this rs and it affects the upper respiratory systems of the child,difficult to breath,loads of snot and they sure don't like that,so the sooner you get a doc to check the child the better.
That's the first I've heard of it, but will do a little research.

it's a heck of disease,comes every year like x-mas and fills the ER to the breaking point.

another week nearing its end,this weekend will be spent at ER,then it's exam week starting on monday.

well,good folks,spent a day at the health center where I do my practicum and what I find peculiar is that some parents bring basically a healthy child there (some snot in the nose,well blow that nose) to a place full of sick children,guess if the kid gets whatever is flying around???
a small cut on the finger,well here they come and will wait for areound 2-3 hrs and the remedy is a small band aid,which they had home...are people so helpless and ignorant what to do today??
where has common sense gone??

but the kids are just as lovely as before :)

another week nearing its end,this weekend will be spent at ER,then it's exam week starting on monday.

well,good folks,spent a day at the health center where I do my practicum and what I find peculiar is that some parents bring basically a healthy child there (some snot in the nose,well blow that nose) to a place full of sick children,guess if the kid gets whatever is flying around???
a small cut on the finger,well here they come and will wait for areound 2-3 hrs and the remedy is a small band aid,which they had home...are people so helpless and ignorant what to do today??
where has common sense gone??

but the kids are just as lovely as before :)
I guess common sense isn't so common.

exam week,sofar going strong and the best part is doc's trust me,patients trust me,well,simply okay :)
and it seems like the flu epidemic is slightly lighter,not a tidal wave of patients any more...sigh.

Anymore society has parent in a paranoid state of mind, child gets a runny noise that becomes frantic mode for the parent. As many ERs and doctors offices I've been in and see these parents with supposed sick children and my first thought 'why the hell are you (parent) even here' Parents in most cases would be better to keep the kid home! damn ERs and Doctors offices are a damn incubator and holding tank for far worst things. Just give the kid a shot of whiskey ok ok a tea spoon, that should offer some relief for sore throats, congestion, runny noise etc... I can't tell ya how many times I done that with my kids, in most cases simple home remedies tackle the problem!!

So true. Basically, if it can't be improved within two full days with rest and fluids, THEN it may be time to see a Dr. (may need an antibiotic, etc.) Otherwise, we're resolving it at home.

hate to leave that ER and go back to school and sit on those uncomfy chairs,my back screams already mercy...most of all I miss those kids,a couple of them really stole my heart,scared when they came there for the first time,now no problems,just wish the regulars there behave good with them ;)

Latest posts

Back