swordsmithing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdnkbear

First Day Posting Record! 38 Messages
Reaction score
anyone on here MAKE their own knives, swords, etc?

I was looking for something like a cross between the machete on 'book of eli' and the sword from 300. good steel,, nice weight,, holds a very sharp edge. can be attached to the molle material on the back of my drivers seat.

are you wanting to make your own , or looking to buy one ?

all the ones ive seen so far are kinda crappy,, was wanting a price on having one built, if possible

wicked looking sword , the machete from eli doesn't look to be to bad of a design as is !
the two have a different purpose of use , what is your main usage going to be ?
have you thought about drawing up a picture and then cutting the sample out of thin plywood or cardboard ?
would be easier to fix mistakes on paper or adjust it to your liking before some one spent time and materials on one that you dont like !

Main usage is just gonna be a up close weapon,, something that wont run out of bullets. plus there's nothing scarier that a 6'2" redneck with a sword.

can you come up with prototype made from cardboard or wood and post a picture with the measurements ?

97KPM18S_m.jpg

all 3 of those would be nice to have and should serve rdnbear well !
it sounded to me that he just wanted a custom piece made and wasn't exactly sure what he wanted !

all 3 of those would be nice to have and should serve rdnbear well !
it sounded to me that he just wanted a custom piece made and wasn't exactly sure what he wanted !

Mentioned the 300 sword. That's one I got at budK.com up top. Not bad for $35. The blade is a beast but the handle is cheap. Same with the gladiator swords. Handles suck. But I am making new handles for them and they should be battle ready.

All of these are carbon steel and the handles are great. I understand the desire to have one made however, It gets very costly. All of these can be found for under 30.00

After I bought what I did I was considering swordsmithing and making my own. Once I started to do some research there is a lot more to it than ordering any random piece of steel and cutting and grinding it down. With our advanced technologies today, metals have advanced a lot too. Especially when it comes to hardening. So far, from what I've found you get what you pay for is still true. I'd encourage you to research metallurgy and see how many metals are available today. They will have charts showing strengths and weaknesses of each type. You can then match up your intended use to the best material for the job. It got really complicated really quick. I came to the conclusion that it would just be more time efficient for me to just buy a few cheap swords and see what I liked best and buy a few better quality versions of my favorite. At least for now I have plenty of other projects that are more of a priority. I do plan on building a forge later though. Just too many irons in the fire

Heh Ro did you make those kukri. Anyhow theres a lot of fun to be had in the learning plus youll learn crossover skills as well. Heat treatment forge welding metallurgy. But remember the joys in the journey. What your wanting aint easy or fast. Love the trip

There is a guy here in Oklahoma that makes swords and knifes, I wanted him to make me a sword but he wanted $1200! Now don't get me wrong I understand that his work is not easy and it is a skill that takes years to master.... I just can't afford that!

Latest posts

Back