Swords

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photon Guy

Reaction score
Swords are one of my favorite weapons. The weapon that I consider of the utmost importance is of course my mind but in terms of physical hand held weapons after guns my next choice would be swords. I've got a small collection of both european and asian swords and although such weapons might be seen as old fashioned they're still very effective.

edged weapons are great and useful,you only need to know how to use them...and have that special mindset,strongly belive not everyone is able to use them,so personal..

I have a hybrid between a Katana and English broad sword , its nothing fancy but anyone hit with it will not be getting up . I got my Son a full tang Katana from SMKW in East TN close to Knoxville .
We both want a Cold Steel Gladius so they will probbaly be in our Christmass stockings .

Deadlest Warrior built a replica of Vlad the impaler's sword . It was long slightly curved and heavy at the tip and anything hit by it was lopped off .

I'm going to open this topic back up. I notice the date posted. The Cold Steel 97 TKMS Tactical is a decent blade. It is 1055 Carbon Steel and it's composition is
Element Content (%)
Iron, Fe 98.41-98.9
Manganese, Mn 0.60-0.90
Carbon, C 0.50-0.60
Sulfur, S ≤ 0.050
Phosphorous, P ≤ 0.040
Notice no Chromium which will rust except this one says it has a "Black Baked-On Anti-Rust Matte Finish" which will help. It's a decent blade. It's a medium carbon steel.

Swords are one of my favorite weapons. The weapon that I consider of the utmost importance is of course my mind but in terms of physical hand held weapons after guns my next choice would be swords. I've got a small collection of both european and asian swords and although such weapons might be seen as old fashioned they're still very effective.
Pictures please.

Note, many swords that people have may not be made for combat, but more for decoration, so be wary. I have a LOT of swords in my house (we're big geeks), but only 4 of them are actually suitable for actual combat. If I get more combat swords, can bet they too will be Cold Steel brand.

1)
Note, many swords that people have may not be made for combat, but more for decoration, so be wary. I have a LOT of swords in my house (we're big geeks), but only 4 of them are actually suitable for actual combat. If I get more combat swords, can bet they too will be Cold Steel brand.
Yes, well noted. I have no qualms dealing with Chinese swords. They are decent, cheap and use modern methods of manufacturing. I'm not going into battle with it so for what I use them for they are fine. I have a certain criteria when I go looking on the web. I have a Tai Chi sword that is stainless steel, spring steel to be exact and it's a nicely done sword for practice and Tai Chi. I use it for cardio exercise also. It has not been sharpened. I always order from LongQuan, China. If I was going to do battle I'd be ordering a Japanese Katana with a price tag of over $2000. USD. Since that is not a reality, these Chinese cheapies are find for me, as long as they are:
1) 1060 Carbon Steel
2) Full Tang
3) Sword Weight 1Kg (2.4 lbs)
I could get 1095 carbon steel and it would keep an edge but can tend to be brittle.

This is a Katana from China. Price range from $75 USD TO $99 USD.
1060 Carbon Steel
Full Tang
Blade weight 1 Kg (2.2 lbs.)

It's not a bad sword for the money. I like it.
Samurai Sword 0020001.JPG Samurai Sword 0050001.JPG

Latest posts

Back