2m & 70cm (440) Switch Frequencies FAST using the APRS QSY Feature

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
Easily talk to other using APRS with the QSY Feature on your Yaesu FTM-400. This feature allows you to quickly start a QSO with those near you who are displaying the frequency they are monitoring in their beacon text. Easy to set up and easy to use! This feature is also available on the Kenwood TM-D710G.

Easily talk to other using APRS with the QSY Feature on your Yaesu FTM-400. This feature allows you to quickly start a QSO with those near you who are displaying the frequency they are monitoring in their beacon text. Easy to set up and easy to use! THis feature is also available on the Kenwood TM-D710G.

Speaking Greek! Acronyms do not help the uninitiated understand the post.

Speaking Greek! Acronyms do not help the uninitiated understand the post.
Here are some translations. Please feel free to ask if you want any additional info.
APRS = Automated Packet Reporting System
QSY = It is part of the "Q" codes and means to change frequency. A lot of operators will ask someone they are talking to, to QSY to another frequency usually to avoid hogging a repeater. They will switch to a simplex (no repeater used / line of sight) frequency
QSO = The "Q" code that means conversation or contact
Yaesu FTM-400XDR is a dual band (2 meter / 70 CM) radio
Kenwood TM-D710G is a dual band (2 meter / 70 CM) radio
Hope this helps.

Thank you. The explanation was very helpful. Now I have some idea what your were talking about and what the equipment might be able to do.

1628832078122.png

1628832106411.png

Been a Licensed Amateur for 30+ years, CB Op for 10 years prior, and a Shortwave listener since I was 8. What do you want to know?

Our club is in an evaluation process now trying to be upgraded to be self sufficient, we have mixed communications with prepping, all our members are working toward a coop type system, we have been actively prepping for all emergencys from weather to civil unrest, have actually got a pretty good plan in place!

we are running into the same problem here, we just got a class started to help some first timers!!
Our club is in an evaluation process now trying to be upgraded to be self sufficient, we have mixed communications with prepping, all our members are working toward a coop type system, we have been actively prepping for all emergencys from weather to civil unrest, have actually got a pretty good plan in place!
That sounds great! I might have to see if my club will entertain that idea. Since I am in earthquake country this would be most helpful to all members.

Latest posts

Back