Sutures,Lidocaine and syringes...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just ordered a nice suture kit and found out you can buy injectable lidocaine.
All that I need now are syringes.
To be honest I was shocked that you can buy injectable lidocaine without a prescription.
The syringes should be easy enough to find considering liberal cities pass em out like candy.
If I'm mistaken about any of this please let me know because I thought for sure it'd be illegal.

Lidocaine can be dangerous if used improperly, not to mention many people have negative reactions to it. Methemoglobinemia, interfering with the bloods ability to carry oxygen, is part of why many doctors refuse to use it. With that said, it can be sourced OTC and it is good for stopping seizures and heart arrhythmias on top of being an anesthetic. However, the side effects make it generally considered unsafe. Also, with local anesthetics, it is common to add a vasoconstrictor like epinephrine to slow the bodys ability to transport it away from the injection site (common with novocain in the dentist office). So without the epinephrine, suture fast lol!

When I was in jail, I used to get those $0.50 Oragel packets. I would squeeze it into water and, being lidocaine is less soluble in water compared to many other things, it falls right out as a glistening powder (if using a small quantity of cold water - it don't work squirting a gram into a whole cup of water).. I would go out in the day room, line up a tenth of a gram on the table and snort it. When people asked what I was doing, i would tell them coke, and offering them a dab to taste, their eyes about popped out of their heads every time thinking I was insane for openly pulling it out on flag lol. They thought I had a guard bringing it in. Fun times for sure!!!

Lidocaine can be dangerous if used improperly, not to mention many people have negative reactions to it. Methemoglobinemia, interfering with the bloods ability to carry oxygen, is part of why many doctors refuse to use it. With that said, it can be sourced OTC and it is good for stopping seizures and heart arrhythmias on top of being an anesthetic. However, the side effects make it generally considered unsafe. Also, with local anesthetics, it is common to add a vasoconstrictor like epinephrine to slow the bodys ability to transport it away from the injection site (common with novocain in the dentist office). So without the epinephrine, suture fast lol!

When I was in jail, I used to get those $0.50 Oragel packets. I would squeeze it into water and, being lidocaine is less soluble in water compared to many other things, it falls right out as a glistening powder (if using a small quantity of cold water - it don't work squirting a gram into a whole cup of water).. I would go out in the day room, line up a tenth of a gram on the table and snort it. When people asked what I was doing, i would tell them coke, and offering them a dab to taste, their eyes about popped out of their heads every time thinking I was insane for openly pulling it out on flag lol. They thought I had a guard bringing it in. Fun times for sure!!!

If used to numb a local area it's safe.
Dont plan on mainlining the stuff.
I've had lidocaine injections over a dozen times over the years as has my Wife.
Dont plan on using it on strangers for obvious reasons.

If used to numb a local area it's safe.
Dont plan on mainlining the stuff.
I've had lidocaine injections over a dozen times over the years as has my Wife.
Dont plan on using it on strangers for obvious reasons.
About half a gram will dissolve in saline solution so just grab a bunch of oragel, extract it (with a very small amount of water then filter and dry), and dissolve it back into sterile saline in a measured manner. I believe it usually comes as a 1% solution where (if you want to get fancy) each mL contains .5mg sodium metabisulfite (antioxidant), .2mg citric acid (stabilizer), 1mg methylparaben (preservative and antiseptic) and 1 part epinephrine for every 100,000 parts lidocaine (vasoconstrictor). Also, never put more than 500mg lidocaine into your body. You can always hit up your local diabetic for syringes too.

Edit: and get the pH to 4.5 (or 7 without the epinephrine) with lye or HCl... The internet says these vials are filled under nitrogen, so I assume oxygen slowly ruins it. I would just make it as needed and skip the additives. But I would boil my saline to sterilize it first.

Last edited:
About half a gram will dissolve in saline solution so just grab a bunch of oragel, extract it (with a very small amount of water then filter and dry), and dissolve it back into sterile saline in a measured manner. I believe it usually comes as a 1% solution where (if you want to get fancy) each mL contains .5mg sodium metabisulfite (antioxidant), .2mg citric acid (stabilizer), 1mg methylparaben (preservative and antiseptic) and 1 part epinephrine for every 100,000 parts lidocaine (vasoconstrictor). Also, never put more than 500mg lidocaine into your body. You can always hit up your local diabetic for syringes too.

Edit: and get the pH to 4.5 (or 7 without the epinephrine) with lye or HCl... The internet says these vials are filled under nitrogen, so I assume oxygen slowly ruins it. I would just make it as needed and skip the additives. But I would boil my saline to sterilize it first.

Not many people use syringes for insulin anymore,they come in disposable syringes these days and you toss em when they're empty.
But thats some good info about the oragell. I'll definitely look into it if I cant get my GP or my pain doc to work with me.

I bought some suture staple kits from Amazon a while back.Cheap, disposable, quick and effective. Yes, still hurt like hell without any kind of pain relief but fast enough it’s over quickly. I figured xylocaine or lidocaine will be scarce if We are having to resort to doing our own medical care so the stapler kits were a trade off.

My Native American side (great grandmother was full Cherokee) and red hair genes in my family make lidocaine virtually useless. It's well-known about red heads, but not many doctors know about the indian issues with pain medications. Lidocaine does nothing for me and what little efficacy it has is metabolized extremely rapidly. Fentanyl post-op major surgery for a thecoma removal only lasted 2-3 hours instead of the expected 4. I've had lidocaine blocks wear off DURING two different surgeries on my hand. My dentists can verify this as well. Normal dose lasts exactly 6 minutes in a dentist's chair. Also got no relief with 2% during several Radio Frequency Ablations on my back for chronic disc pain. So when SHTF, I'm in for yet more pain if I get injured. I'd like to say you get hardened to this pain killer issue..........but nope. And the more you try to tell unfamiliar doctors about the problem up front of a procedure, I think they are suspicious of your motives. Only one anesthesiologist has ever acknowledged he was famiiliar with what I was referring to.

Last edited:
Having a Cherokee grandmother and Irish roots has me in the same situation. Yours sounds more pronounced than mine though. But I must admit that my pain threshold is a high one. Had all my children with zero pain meds…and they were far from small, even though I am. I’ve only had one anesthesiologist acknowledge it too. Of course that is only 1 out of 3…and he was many many years ago. Looking back it was hilarious that I remember the surgeon standing right over me, scalpel in hand complaining to the anesthesiologist about “when is she going to go under”! I opened my and eyes and replied, most likely with a slurred voice. But still remember the look of shock on his face! :D

And I have talked to many a person of Indian descent who also can relate, including my current dentist who is part Apache. He knows the perfect 'coctail' to give me from onumbing from poersonal experience. Works every time, too, on two caps now. I just hope he doesn't retire before I die. LOL

My Native American side (great grandmother was full Cherokee) and red hair genes in my family make lidocaine virtually useless. It's well-known about red heads, but not many doctors know about the indian issues with pain medications. Lidocaine does nothing for me and what little efficacy it has is metabolized extremely rapidly. Fentanyl post-op major surgery for a thecoma removal only lasted 2-3 hours instead of the expected 4. I've had lidocaine blocks wear off DURING two different surgeries on my hand. My dentists can verify this as well. Normal dose lasts exactly 6 minutes in a dentist's chair. Also got no relief with 2% during several Radio Frequency Ablations on my back for chronic disc pain. So when SHTF, I'm in for yet more pain if I get injured. I'd like to say you get hardened to this pain killer issue..........but nope. And the more you try to tell unfamiliar doctors about the problem up front of a procedure, I think they are suspicious of your motives. Only one anesthesiologist acknowledged he was famiiliar with what I was referring to.

Hmmm...cant say I've ever heard of this.

The surgery nurse that was in the room telling me about the block wearing off asked me if I was feeling OK. I nattered on and on all about my anesthetic issues and that I was glad the general worked this time. She said "Oh, the general worked but the block didn't. You moved your hand during the operation and they had to dose you again. Plus most people who had as much pain killer as I just put in your IV couldn't even TALK to me, much less make any coherent sense while talking to me." So this former teacher taught HER something new that day about anesthetics. LOL

I have a friend that pain killers dont work on, last operation he had the docs gave him enough to kill a reg person and it didnt phase him!!
Yea, it's certainly a genetic thing. When I was scheduling my oral surgery, they had a few questions about that, they asked me both ~ if I had red hair or if I was native. There is definitely something there. Sometimes it takes a Demerol drip :)

Yea, it's certainly a genetic thing. When I was scheduling my oral surgery, they had a few questions about that, they asked me both ~ if I had red hair or if I was native. There is definitely something there. Sometimes it takes a Demerol drip :)
Last time i had surgery they gave me Demerol and i matabolize it so fast it caused me to quit breathing, Cant take that anymore!!!

The only thing the lidocaine ever did for me at the dentist was make me sick afterwards. I blacked out after a root canal from the pain. I usually told them not to bother trying to deaden my tooth for cavities.

Latest posts

Back