Survivalist Prepping vs Supply Prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer Supply Prepping or Survivalist Prepping?

• Survivalist Prepping... I can live with nature indefinitely!

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Supply Prepping... I'm staying and holding down the fort!

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Both, actually... I see merits in both and work on them regularly

Votes: 69 83.1%

• Total voters
I pan to stockpile food. I cannot possibly raise enough food for my needs. Just count calories and see how much you can raise vs. how much you will need. Someone said once if you can't raise an acre of potatoes, you have no chance raising food. Maybe sweet potatoes in the South, I don't know. Anyone who has ever grown corn or wheat knows how much land, water, labor all that takes. Long term or long, long term you are going to have to be on a real farm or in a farming community like Amish Heart.

I have never bought the whole Mountain Man thing as survival or real prepping. Those guys trap and hunt because they want to do so or are to lazy or inept to hold real jobs. All those TV Mountain Men get scale or contract fees for their episodes and most likely social security or government aid on top of that. There may be guys like Arcticdude that can make a go of this or maybe the guys in some of those set in Alaska TV series' living off the land but these are rare people, not the rank an file citizens of Alaska or anywhere else.

The best I can ever hope for is relatively short term survival and hope for better conditions. Probably a year is max.
Ok, just what do you mean by "too lazy or inept to hold a real job"? How do you define a real job? Have you ever run a long line trap line before? Do you have any idea how much work is involved? I personally don't dont like these "Mountain Men" TV shows, but I do know where a couple of these guys live and where they trap at. In fact I used to trap in some of the same areas as them and there's nothing easy about it.
Most of my career was rotational, which meant that I'd get at least 6 months vacation per year. With that much time off it allowed me to do the things that I really liked to do, like trapping, hunting and fishing.

Back in the 70' and 80' we were called survivalists. Now days we are called preppers. Bottom line is if we want to survive than we have to prep.
And before that we were just normal people. Everyone at that time always stayed stocked up, most everyone had chickens, gardens and raised their own beef and a milk cow. Everyone did their own repairs and maintenance. We didn't take our cars to the mechanic.
And we didn't want anything from the government, nor did we trust the government.

A "normal" sheeple will look at his broken shoelace and think:
"I need to go shopping on Monday and get a new shoelace!"
A "normal" survivalist will look at his broken shoelace and think:
"I can make a new shoelace out of about 16 different things!"
A PRE-VIVALIST will look at his worn-out shoelace before it breaks and think:
"I'll go get another shoelace out of the storage before this one breaks!"

I KNOW WHERE I FIT IN...DO YOU??

Back in the 70' and 80' we were called survivalists. Now days we are called preppers. Bottom line is if we want to survive than we have to prep.

We only have to out survive them. Much like we only have to be faster than the other person chased by the grizzly.

Prep for that, and basic survival skills are easy as they were taught by the real Boy Scouts.

the "survivalist" title died away with the Berlin Wall and the dissolving of the Soviet Union - wasn't like the preparing didn't encompass more than a nuke war - but the promoters wanted a dividing line and started pushing "preppers" and actually helping to negate "survivalist" with Bunker Bob images ....

back in the day everyone prepped it was called common sense, nowadays everyone goes to the store, that the difference between preppers and sheeple.
I'm not a prepper, in my country preppers only prep for short term events, very short term, I'm a prepared survivalist, I look longer term.

not any difference in the US - greater majority of people that call themselves preppers are nothing more than "72 Hour FEMA Kit" people - CA has a lot of earthquake preppers and the South have their share of hurricane preppers ...

Back in the 70' and 80' we were called survivalists. Now days we are called preppers.

Yes, I think forums, like this one, led that transition. It's a softer easier way and attracts more people, people who would choke at the whole survivalist mentality, people who just want to grow some veggies.

You can always tell the survivalists from the preppers though hey. Preppers don't sleep with pistols under their pillow or have K-bars tucked into their BOBs. They don't check their rear mirror before they turn into their street, that sort of thing ;)

A "normal" sheeple will look at his broken shoelace and think:
"I need to go shopping on Monday and get a new shoelace!"
A "normal" survivalist will look at his broken shoelace and think:
"I can make a new shoelace out of about 16 different things!"
A PRE-VIVALIST will look at his worn-out shoelace before it breaks and think:
"I'll go get another shoelace out of the storage before this one breaks!"

I KNOW WHERE I FIT IN...DO YOU??
I use only leather shoelaces. A few years ago I bought a pair without checking the label. Sure enough they were made in China and broke the first time I tied them. More junk from China.

Before that we were called "Boy Scouts" LOL

Boy Scout Motto: BE PREPARED!

Now the Boy Scouts are no more. We have Rainbow Scouts instead who are only prepared for "social justice."
Amen brother. As a scouter of 22 years (cub scouts, boy scouts and adult leader) I weep at what my beloved scouting has become. Our gun club sponsors a Troop and I got to see them in action at one of their camp outs on club property. All the kids were standing around while the adults did everything. We would have been laughed out of the council for that. The purpose of scouting was always to prepare boys for manhood, in every aspect of their lives. I'm a prime example. Scouting led me to my careers in EMS and Drafting. Today, I couldn't tell you what they're being prepared for.

Latest posts

Back