Survival Hatchet created from a prepper perspective.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 582

Reaction score
The Prepper hatchet

it’s about as small and light as it can get while retaining functionality.
It has an upper guarded handle for scraping and shaving fibers needed for fire making
It also doubles as a fire steel – strong high carbon A-2 steel
it’s perfect for shelter building
it can also be used as an effective weapon.
Convex grind for extra strength and longer edge retention.
please check it out all the details here...

Link

I work professionally as a graphic designer and prop fabricator. In my spare time I come up with products, things I personally need like tools, bags, furniture, toys, you name it. I’m looking for support making my latest project more then a one-off piece kept to myself. The project is a hatchet designed from a prepper mindset. multifunctional made from top grade materials and laser cut to perfection!

Axe1.jpg

hatchet-types.jpg

logo.jpg

Looks cool how much? Also Is there a use video or destruction test? Would love to see a g10 scale on it. Looks a little thin at those 2 points how well does it take impact?

Great suggestions! I'll start working on a video. Ive been using it to cut dry branches about 2.5" thick for fire, I'm not easy on my tool and those points are not budging, I'll really smash in into concrete and see if I can bend/break it. It will be interesting to see how the edge holds up :( let me know what else you want to see. Thanks! improvements are very welcome. If I had the cash to spare I'd send a dozen out to the experts for trials and reviews.

as for the cost, blanks $120, kits $165-190, complete $275-300 - as a start up the price covers the item plus the equipment needed for me to more efficiently work the blanks into finished tools. mainly a vertical belt grinder and vibratory tumbler. Ideally if the funding is successful I'll be able to offer the hatchet's in the $100-150 range and a flat grind version $50-75. made in America!

I do like the looks. There's only 2 things I would change. I would add more of a point to the top of the face for thrust attacks(this is only for those who would use it in a self defense aspect), and instead of a ring maybe a thicker hollow triangle that could be used as a breaching tool or brick breaker.

The Prepper hatchet

it’s about as small and light as it can get while retaining functionality.
It has an upper guarded handle for scraping and shaving fibers needed for fire making
It also doubles as a fire steel – strong high carbon A-2 steel
it’s perfect for shelter building
it can also be used as an effective weapon.
Convex grind for extra strength and longer edge retention.
please check it out all the details here...

Link

I work professionally as a graphic designer and prop fabricator. In my spare time I come up with products, things I personally need like tools, bags, furniture, toys, you name it. I’m looking for support making my latest project more then a one-off piece kept to myself. The project is a hatchet designed from a prepper mindset. multifunctional made from top grade materials and laser cut to perfection!

Axe1.jpg

hatchet-types.jpg

logo.jpg
What kind of help are you looking for ?

Roninsensei,

I also thought of having a pry bar or spear point at the bottom, i think its a great idea. Since I was going to list this online initially at kickstarter.com I had to make sure it was seen as a "tool" because they don't allow weapons, turns out they still see it as a weapon. I' d really like to try multiple variations but in single cuts its way too expensive, I really need an order of 40 or 80 pieces even in variation to get a reasonable price per piece.

the facebook link didn't open for me.

as a weapon it should really be shaped more like a tomahawk. what do you think of this?
tomahawk.jpg

Pm me your email I'll send you the pick of what I mean. This one looks too much like others and you need to stand out!!

Here's what I like about your prepper design you kept the head clear of handle material which is smart for passing through things also its one piece. Steel strength is also a good choice. The choke handle is a good call for more controlled work. The size is useable, any longer too bulky any smaller less power. I wonder if the back piece would work as a crowbar in a pinch? Looks like it might. All in all keep up the good work and hopefully we can get you up and running!

Here's what I like about your prepper design you kept the head clear of handle material which is smart for passing through things also its one piece. Steel strength is also a good choice. The choke handle is a good call for more controlled work. The size is useable, any longer too bulky any smaller less power. I wonder if the back piece would work as a crowbar in a pinch? Looks like it might. All in all keep up the good work and hopefully we can get you up and running!
Could you tell me your opinion on some good hunting knifes out there that you have or suggest. Thanks

I'm a cold steel fan. Most of their knives are great. Especially for the price. The key is to find good carbon or stainless steel. The less chromium in the stainless the better. Like AUS-8 or German 4116.
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/39LRST/RECON_SCOUT,_SK5.aspx
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/80PGTK/G_I_TANTO_W_SECURE-EX_SHEATH.aspx
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/38CK/SRK(SURVIVAL_RESCUE_KNIFE).aspx
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/80PHB/SURVIVAL_EDGE_(BLACK).aspx
By the way this is a full tang one piece hollow handle survival knife!! Super rare and it comes with a fire steel!
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/80TFTC/TRUE_FLIGHT_THROWER_W_SHEATH.aspx

I've used all of these knives at one point or another. For the price you cant beat the GI Tanto.

This Test was absolutely brutal But you can see why the knife is such a good deal!!

Great suggestion on cold steel, also check out ka-bar. I really like my Magnum Camp, I took off the black finish, reground a convex edge, made a custom fit handle then polished it all up.
If those don't do it for you Bark River will give you a dozen great options for your hunting needs.

a gut hook on the back point would be nice !

A knife should be universal a gut hook makes it not very usable for defense. I recommend avoiding gut hooks.

to me the thing looks like it was meant to be used like a ulu with the hand hold up front , so that is why i said a gut hook would be nice !

Sorry. The thread got hijacked!! You meant on the survival hatchet.. In that case I would agree it would be a good addition!!

Latest posts

Back