Survival devices when there is no electricity.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very I interested in the way you preserve your food and look forward to when you get in the mood to post. For me, I will continue to can the way I have for years, but I am also fascinated to read other ways from different cultures.

And just an FYI. . . I have a pink tractor for my avitar. I'm not a sir. ;)
why did you paint your tractor pink?
--------
the Russians have a joke.
- let's paint the refrigerator black.
- why black?
- I have no other paint ..
🤣

Last edited:
why did you paint your tractor pink?
--------
the Russians have a joke.
- let's paint the refrigerator black.
- why black?
- I have no other paint ..
Because I have 4 little granddaughters who love their Nana's tractor. Hard to tell but there are also big purple flowers with yellow centers. My husband has his own tractor so mine is only for us girls.

I quess this is your "first experience".
- Solar panels are beautiful
- But the wooden structure will fall apart in a year.
I am a carpenter, so I ask you not to be offended :)
-
I like your avatar. Crossed Stone Ax and Gas Wrench. What does this mean?

No offense taken. Our frame for the ground array of PV panels is made of hardwood (sapodilla) on cement footings. We avoid pine for the reason you suggested. Our hardwood frame has been serving us for 11 years now, with occasional repair. We spray it monthly with insecticide to keep termites away. We have 25 additional PV panels on top of our house's corrugated metal roof. I just built another 24-panel hardwood array for a friend on the Caribbean beach a few miles away. Because of occasional hurricanes here, we needed to reinforce his with steel anchors & bolts. Check back with us in eleven more years to see if it fell apart.

I like your avatar. Crossed Stone Ax and Gas Wrench. What does this mean?
Eddie Vedder, who is the lead singer for Pearl Jam, has a tattoo like that. I don't know where he got it from or if he made it up.
5NyocF6.jpg

Go to Wikipedia and find "Earth First!"

Better yet, read the book "The Monkey Wrench Gang", by Edward Abbey.

This is the symbol for the radical environmental advocacy group, Earth First!

We had dealings with the earth first out here, they are part of the group that put spikes in the trees on land that bordered mine, I had locks cut on my gates to gain access to the other land, they pored sand in the hydraulics tanks on two of my equipment when they weren't even associated with logging.

They haven't been out here in years, today though, I have a backhoe.

yes sounds like their work. Sorry about your equipment tanks.

They are all old, so not likely you'll hear much from them any more.

No offense intended, but seems like you are a better carpenter than a political scientist or environmentalist.
There are constructive ways of improving the environment. Personally, deforestation makes me sick, but there is this principal called "property rights" that I happen to believe in.

The land I own never got cleared completely like everything else around, and now we have replanted trees on what was cleared with a mix of trees to avoid creating a monoculture. We have created new wetlands and worked with state and federal government programs to create habitat for geese and pheasants (which we never hunted BTW) and we are now working on a butterfly habitat program. We work with state biologists to actively manage the land for the benefit of the wildlife.

How about you?

the big thing here this summer has been "bug hotels" people build on their backyards and place into woods, doing what they can for those that pollinate our food.

and I have to add,glad those small critters don'r scare me like they didi when I was a kid, spiders were my acchileus heel..

Last edited:
No offense intended, but seems like you are a better carpenter than a political scientist or environmentalist.
Oh, I forgot to mention...

Because of the latest habitat program we did with the state, we were able to jump through all the hoops to become certified to sell carbon credits.

So that tree you see below my post that says "Certified Carbon Negative"? That is not a joke. The carbon sequestration ability of the trees we planted is literally certified, and we do sell carbon credits.

There are constructive ways of improving the environment. Personally, deforestation makes me sick, but there is this principal called "property rights" that I happen to believe in.

The land I own never got cleared completely like everything else around, and now we have replanted trees on what was cleared with a mix of trees to avoid creating a monoculture. We have created new wetlands and worked with state and federal government programs to create habitat for geese and pheasants (which we never hunted BTW) and we are now working on a butterfly habitat program. We work with state biologists to actively manage the land for the benefit of the wildlife.

How about you?
You are doing great work, Doc, to be commended. Certified Carbon Negative is a seriously big deal. Many 'eco resorts" think if they put up some solar panels they are "protecting the environment". But then at night they run diesel generators to keep their guests cool. You have more in common with Edward Abbey and the Earth Firsters than you realize.

On our coastal property, we have 3 houses and a boat dock, lotsa forest, creeks, wetland and open savanna. And limestone caverns. All our power & water comes from the sky. Jaguars occasionally eat our watchdogs (they like puppies best). But the jaguars were here first so we leave them alone and keep our dogs on the porches at night. Howler monkeys call, parrots flock. Blue Morpho butterflies. Tapir and otters. Bad snakes. Tree frogs.

Yes, property rights are important. We all are free to do what we want with our land. It is our choice to cut trees or not. Plant orchards and gardens, or not. On our land we choose to leave the forest intact along with the creatures in it. But we have added fruit orchards, gardens, and 250 teak trees.

Our neighbor is clear cutting his mature hardwood hills. When his crew recently "strayed" onto our land with their chainsaws and D6, we had an armed confrontation. Sometimes, that is what it takes. Now they avoid our boundaries. We won't monkey wrench their equipment unless they stray again.

In the late 1800s the British logged this coastal area heavily. The forest has grown back. All 5 of Central America's big cat species live here in harmony with their ecosystem. As you know, when an ecosystem can support its large predators, then it is healthy. It is my goal that, when I am done here, the offspring of those jaguars and ocelots are still eating the offspring of our watchdogs. I'll stay on the porch.

Because I have 4 little granddaughters who love their Nana's tractor. Hard to tell but there are also big purple flowers with yellow centers. My husband has his own tractor so mine is only for us girls.

First of all, I must apologize to the Lady when I said "Sir" ...
I will give you all the flowers that grow on my land.
my mother loves to grow peonies, then we cut them and bring them into the house.
2018-06-23-414.jpg

------

sorry i'm not photogenic.
In real life, I look better, but when I'm on camera, I look bad
:)
2018-06-23-422.jpg

I like your tractor, and I also like that the tractor is driven by a Lady.

I like women who are not afraid to ruin their hands with diesel fuel, as well as heavy tools

Last edited:
:)I'm wonder
if forum users know what it is?

IMG_20200806_190045.jpg
--------
Hint..
IMG_20200806_190151.jpg
:)

Latest posts

Back