Survival devices when there is no electricity.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of detail .... First, this is not for those who are OCD concerning laundry ( like my sisters in law who each run four massive loads a day), or those with large families. Small loads are ideal. For really grimy clothing, pre soaking, and perhaps a bit of scrubbing will be required. We load at night to pre soak, then drain and wash in the morning, and get good results. Two rinses are also required, followed by hand wringing. Overall, we're using about 1.5 gallons of water per load, sometimes two. The amount of detergent averages out to 2 tbs per load (1 oz, or about 15 cents per load). Thus, we're able to recycle used water to the gardens. One of the weak areas of this washer is it's cradle, but, that's an easy fix. Overall, for us, well worth the shekals....
handwash. Italian rarity. 🤣
fe029fd10dfe5f54b0900dc9a1bcfc92.jpg

since in Russia, at the beginning of the 90s, there was a shortage of meat, we prepared canned meat.
A lot of meat in glass jars in a gas oven and brick oven.
Like this:
View attachment 10815
Then put the jars in the cellar, which is underground and has a temperature slightly above freezing for a whole year.
--------
Another way for hunters and survivalists is smoking, salting.
By the way, historically, smoked sausage is one of the ways to store meat.
In our family, we do not use these methods.
---------
Finally..
My ancestors lived in the Urals, in the village.
Until the 50s, they stored meat in the so-called "glacier". In winter, they took ice and collected it in an underground storage, then put the meat.
Cattle-cows, pigs, sheep were slaughtered in late autumn.
If the cattle were slaughtered in the summer, then the meat was simply divided between the villagers, since this is Collectivism. or sold in the agricultural market
I am curious about you storing your meat in jars using a gas oven. It looks like your jars were packed raw and cooked during the sealing process in the oven? How long were they in the oven for?

Solar power is what we use. Our power never goes out. At night I'll sit on the dock looking north at the Little Dipper. Sometimes wonder if I'll see a dull flash in the northern sky, then I
SolarArray50.jpg
I might wonder, "why dont they email anymore?" But I might not notice for days because part of being truly off-grid is, internet & cellular communication is hard. . .

Solar power is what we use. Our power never goes out. At night I'll sit on the dock looking north at the Little Dipper. Sometimes wonder if I'll see a dull flash in the northern sky, then IView attachment 10900 I might wonder, "why dont they email anymore?" But I might not notice for days because part of being truly off-grid is, internet & cellular communication is hard. . .
I like your setup.

I am curious about you storing your meat in jars using a gas oven. It looks like your jars were packed raw and cooked during the sealing process in the oven? How long were they in the oven for?
Sir, you misunderstood my test. Perhaps Google translator is to blame. 😳
I will try to tell you in other words.
-----------
1. I'm talking about cooking stew.
The Americans gave the stew to the Soviet army during the WW2, according to Lend-Lease.
This stew was in tin cans.
unnamed (4).jpg

2. Our generation (Americans and Russians) must also know how to make stew, but we cannot use metal cans, but only glass cans
do you really don't know how to cook stew?
🤣
Тушенка

If you don’t know, then I will show you.
But, for this, I have to create a whole Article, because the
preservation of meat is associated with the terrible disease Botulism. My Mother is a Doctor, I know perfectly well how to do Тушенка and preserve

wonder how long you could keep a section of a root cellar below freezing,if you collect large blocks of ice during the winter?
1. I said that the "glacier" was made by my grandparents in the 50s, so I really don't know how it was done. I was born in 1967.
------
2. I saw 3 Russian solutions on the Internet.
But..
- I do not believe the Internet, it is better to believe only books.
Only the diagrams are "drawn" there, but not the real solution.
- I'm really surprised that the Finns don't know the decision about the "glacier". I have a Finnish descent, but I was born and raised in the Soviet Union.
The Russians believe that the Finns are much smarter than the Russians about the "glacier" ...
------
I believe that we can find a smart solution.

Solar power is what we use. Our power never goes out. At night I'll sit on the dock looking north at the Little Dipper. Sometimes wonder if I'll see a dull flash in the northern sky, then IView attachment 10900 I might wonder, "why dont they email anymore?" But I might not notice for days because part of being truly off-grid is, internet & cellular communication is hard. . .

I quess this is your "first experience".
- Solar panels are beautiful
- But the wooden structure will fall apart in a year.
I am a carpenter, so I ask you not to be offended :)
-
I like your avatar. Crossed Stone Ax and Gas Wrench. What does this mean?

Last edited:
1. I said that the "glacier" was made by my grandparents in the 50s, so I really don't know how it was done. I was born in 1967.
------
2. I saw 3 Russian solutions on the Internet.
But..
- I do not believe the Internet, it is better to believe only books.
Only the diagrams are "drawn" there, but not the real solution.
- I'm really surprised that the Finns don't know the decision about the "glacier". I have a Finnish descent, but I was born and raised in the Soviet Union.
The Russians believe that the Finns are much smarter than the Russians about the "glacier" ...
------
I believe that we can find a smart solution.
I'm not quite sure about that Selivan, lots of knowledge has been lost that our grandparents had about root cellars / glaciers,some of it is explored again,due to the fact people like to save energy and cut costs.

Sir, you misunderstood my test. Perhaps Google translator is to blame. 😳
I will try to tell you in other words.
-----------
1. I'm talking about cooking stew.
The Americans gave the stew to the Soviet army during the WW2, according to Lend-Lease.
This stew was in tin cans.
View attachment 10917

2. Our generation (Americans and Russians) must also know how to make stew, but we cannot use metal cans, but only glass cans
do you really don't know how to cook stew?
🤣
Тушенка

If you don’t know, then I will show you.
But, for this, I have to create a whole Article, because the
preservation of meat is associated with the terrible disease Botulism. My Mother is a Doctor, I know perfectly well how to do Тушенка and preserve
I watched a few videos this morning on Youtube on making/preserving Тушенка. A couple had English subtitles so easier to follow for me. From what I gather, this is meat chunked up like you would stew meat and placed in jars to process. Some will put all the meat in a bowl first to mix in salt and pepper, while others added the seasonings straight into the jar. Some would place bay leaves and peppercorns at the bottom of the jars. Then they would add in a Tablespoon of fat to the top of the meat after filling the jars to the shoulders (it looked to be about an inch headspace). The lids are 1 piece, not 2 like our canning lids. Then placed into a pot to process. This is where it started getting different. Some processed in what looked like a pressure canner on a gas stove top, but cant remember how long it was processed. While another placed her jars in a pressure cooker (no dial) on the stove for 3.5 hours (she said 3.5-5 hours to cook the meat so maybe depending on jar size?), left overnight sitting in pot to cool then took her jars out. An then another who put in a regular pot with a lid on the stove and said to let boil 8-10 hours adding additional boiling water as needed.

I think when you said gas oven, you may have been referring to a stove top and not the oven itself? And when you referenced the brick oven, I am not sure where that may have played in?

Here I can stew meat to preserve in glass jars in a pressure canner at 11lbs pressure for 90 minutes. Once cooled down it gets wiped off then stored in my stockroom (pantry) on shelves.

When I read stew, I think of a soup type dish that has both stew meat, normally beef or deer and vegetables in it.

I'm not quite sure about that Selivan, lots of knowledge has been lost that our grandparents had about root cellars / glaciers,some of it is explored again,due to the fact people like to save energy and cut costs.
well...
let's show some serious links on the internet.
- I know Russian links.
- you know Finnish
- Americans know their links.
------
Then, we will collect them and discuss

I watched a few videos this morning on Youtube on making/preserving Тушенка. A couple had English subtitles so easier to follow for me. From what I gather, this is meat chunked up like you would stew meat and placed in jars to process. Some will put all the meat in a bowl first to mix in salt and pepper, while others added the seasonings straight into the jar. Some would place bay leaves and peppercorns at the bottom of the jars. Then they would add in a Tablespoon of fat to the top of the meat after filling the jars to the shoulders (it looked to be about an inch headspace). The lids are 1 piece, not 2 like our canning lids. Then placed into a pot to process. This is where it started getting different. Some processed in what looked like a pressure canner on a gas stove top, but cant remember how long it was processed. While another placed her jars in a pressure cooker (no dial) on the stove for 3.5 hours (she said 3.5-5 hours to cook the meat so maybe depending on jar size?), left overnight sitting in pot to cool then took her jars out. An then another who put in a regular pot with a lid on the stove and said to let boil 8-10 hours adding additional boiling water as needed.

I think when you said gas oven, you may have been referring to a stove top and not the oven itself? And when you referenced the brick oven, I am not sure where that may have played in?

Here I can stew meat to preserve in glass jars in a pressure canner at 11lbs pressure for 90 minutes. Once cooled down it gets wiped off then stored in my stockroom (pantry) on shelves.

When I read stew, I think of a soup type dish that has both stew meat, normally beef or deer and vegetables in it.

Sir, I said I would write an Article on this topic. (when I'm in the mood)
this topic is very serious, as it affects Health.
We cooked this way in the early 90s, when the USSR collapsed and there was no food.

all links I found are in Finnish, none of them tells if you can store ice in them,this needs to be digged deeper into..

all links I found are in Finnish, none of them tells if you can store ice in them,this needs to be digged deeper into..
I'm in a bad mood today, besides, some American goats make it stronger ..
------
I never give up a scandal, so I'll go and fight with them.

----
we will continue this "glacier" topic later ..

Sir, I said I would write an Article on this topic. (when I'm in the mood)
this topic is very serious, as it affects Health.
We cooked this way in the early 90s, when the USSR collapsed and there was no food.
I am very I interested in the way you preserve your food and look forward to when you get in the mood to post. For me, I will continue to can the way I have for years, but I am also fascinated to read other ways from different cultures.

And just an FYI. . . I have a pink tractor for my avitar. I'm not a sir. ;)

Latest posts

Back