Survival devices when there is no electricity.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the plan to can it when there is no power then? I know they use to “salt” meat but that takes a lot of salt doesn’t it? I’m just curious how people plan to store a deer they take or cow they kill without the modern freezer?
Yes. I'm not too keen on salted meat though. There are plenty of other ways to preserve it. All perishable frozen foods will be processed one way or another. If the power goes out for an extended time, I plan on making a HUGE pot of venison stew and canning it. I can cook it in my turkey fryer.

Is the plan to can it when there is no power then? I know they use to “salt” meat but that takes a lot of salt doesn’t it? I’m just curious how people plan to store a deer they take or cow they kill without the modern freezer?

you dry it or smoke it As they did for centuries, we cold smoke in the winter or heat smoke it in the summer. Man done quite good without electricity for thousands of years.

canning and jerky are just two ways to preserve meat. Canning is likely the best way without electricity. I’ve invested a lot to help ensure I can still produce electrinity though as I really don’t want to have to live without it. I also invested in a cast iron wood stove that can be cooked on and outdoor cooking options. I have a large propane generator with 500 gallons of propane, 2 smaller generators, and solar with 1000AH of battery storage. I’ve definatey given some thought to the likelihood of loosing the grid and felt it was worth the effort to be able to produce your own.

since in Russia, at the beginning of the 90s, there was a shortage of meat, we prepared canned meat.
A lot of meat in glass jars in a gas oven and brick oven.
Like this:
490b9c7d6d49ac14acdc2eda9fd60520-400x300.jpg
Then put the jars in the cellar, which is underground and has a temperature slightly above freezing for a whole year.
--------
Another way for hunters and survivalists is smoking, salting.
By the way, historically, smoked sausage is one of the ways to store meat.
In our family, we do not use these methods.
---------
Finally..
My ancestors lived in the Urals, in the village.
Until the 50s, they stored meat in the so-called "glacier". In winter, they took ice and collected it in an underground storage, then put the meat.
Cattle-cows, pigs, sheep were slaughtered in late autumn.
If the cattle were slaughtered in the summer, then the meat was simply divided between the villagers, since this is Collectivism. or sold in the agricultural market

You smoke in Africa? How long is it good for and at what temp is it stored?
The butchers do the smoking if ye want, but most is just dried, just keep in a cool dry place, can last for 6 months to a year but it will be as hard as a rock, in our home we gobble a good size batch within 2 weeks 😁

Nice, I almost couldn't see past the rows of "gold" you got stacked there! :)

Nothing beats firewood, but it is a choir for sure. I'm cutting rounds and leaving them in the field this year as fuel on demand. An axe = no attention compared to a chainsaw, best to get the noisy part done while it's acceptable.

The way I look at it, a EMP and CME doesn't affect wood stoves. Batteries have a shelf life and would require the sun and/or a generator to keep the batteries charged. It would require a substantial solar system that provides power for heat and power for cooking appliances.

Last edited:
The way I look at it, a EMP and CME doesn't affect wood stoves. Batteries have a shelf life and would require the sun and/or a generator to keep the batteries charged. It would require a substantial solar system that provides power for heat and power for cooking appliances.
No doubt, solar has limits Unless you have an unlimited budget. The batteries I just spent 2k on will last 5 yrs at best and need to be replaced. There are better options even now but they are much pricier. I’m hoping there will be an advance before I need new ones. Tesla is talking about a million mile battery for their cars now. I can’t wait to hear more details on it. It shouldn’t be too long though. Cars are just now starting to convert away from fossil fuels and will continue to do so. Just like the model T, the technology will Get better each year.

If you really want old school look up Lehman's. They sell to the Amish who don't believe in electricity. There catalogs are mind blowing when it comes to people power.

They have been my favorite for years for manual tools and such. Was raised near a large population of Amish.

Latest posts

Back