Surprise, wife comes home with new vehicle

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I was out in the back property when the wife pulls up in a 1999 Jeep Wrangler.

The back story to this, for a few years we given her a bad time driving a Lexus out here especially during the winter, everyone here drives a truck except here, she parked the Lexus at the house closer to town and her and girlfriend gone out looking for something and came back with this. We don't allow people to drive to this area that we don't know but here comes this Jeep driving back here like they owned the place. A little light but better than the car I guess.

IMG_2519 - Copy.JPG

Jeeps are awesome! Probably not the most practical vehicle around, but lots of fun. Mine is still in the shop.... I was hard pressed to find a mechanic that would even work on mine , being from japan. There are no American manuals for this thing. The guys shop is 2.5 hrs away from here. Should have it back next Friday hopefully. My advice is take it out for a spin and see how much fun they can be.

Jeeps are awesome! Probably not the most practical vehicle around, but lots of fun. Mine is still in the shop.... I was hard pressed to find a mechanic that would even work on mine , being from japan. There are no American manuals for this thing. The guys shop is 2.5 hrs away from here. Should have it back next Friday hopefully. My advice is take it out for a spin and see how much fun they can be.

I had willys and cj5's, not my first or even second choice but she likes it. It has a 2" receiver so I can put weights on it during the snow season, the boys said they going to convert it over to manual hubs (none of us likes them auto hubs) plus they putting a receiver in front, I guess they starting this Saturday, instead of finishing the work, the boys took the Jeep and I haven't seen them at all for the past 2.5 hours, I think they already out playing with it, the wife had to ride back to the house with me, we get in the house and ask me what I think the boys are doing to her new car (her words) All I said was find weaknesses as I was leaving in a hurry, I don't want to explain that one to her.

I had willys and cj5's, not my first or even second choice but she likes it. It has a 2" receiver so I can put weights on it during the snow season, the boys said they going to convert it over to manual hubs (none of us likes them auto hubs) plus they putting a receiver in front, I guess they starting this Saturday, instead of finishing the work, the boys took the Jeep and I haven't seen them at all for the past 2.5 hours, I think they already out playing with it, the wife had to ride back to the house with me, we get in the house and ask me what I think the boys are doing to her new car (her words) All I said was find weaknesses as I was leaving in a hurry, I don't want to explain that one to her.
I like the idea of a receiver on the front. Mine has a hook up front for pulling it but no hitch. That is one thing the shop is doing to mine though, adding the tow wiring for a trailer. I was going to do it but figured while he was there why not make my life easier.... hope the boys don’t bring it back too muddy!

Like the wife's new toy :) but she is going to be cold in the winter. We had a soft top Jeep Wrangler years ago. Thankfully we have mild winters or I would have froze my butt off!
Yeah, either too cold or too hot. Still a fun toy though. Mine looks like a 53 Willis, so it gets a lot of jeep people coming up to talk about it. It’s fun to meet a lot of people and hear their jeep stories. It’s like a cult!

Yeah, either too cold or too hot. Still a fun toy though. Mine looks like a 53 Willis, so it gets a lot of jeep people coming up to talk about it. It’s fun to meet a lot of people and hear their jeep stories. It’s like a cult!
I can deal with the heat. Just unzip windows, besides I haven't had a/c in my car for years now, but as long as the heater works I'll keep driving her.

I can deal with the heat. Just unzip windows, besides I haven't had a/c in my car for years now, but as long as the heater works I'll keep driving her.
I agree the cold is harder to deal with for me too. Being a true southerner I think my blood is thinner than the average yankee! My sister lives in NY now. She says at least in the cold you can keep adding layers, but in the heat you can only strip down so much before they arrest you.... good argument but I’m not buying it.
I just got a bikini top for mine to at least keep the sun directly off me in it. The full soft top is way too hot in the summer though, and kind of worn out so this was a quick fix.

I like the idea of a receiver on the front. Mine has a hook up front for pulling it but no hitch. That is one thing the shop is doing to mine though, adding the tow wiring for a trailer. I was going to do it but figured while he was there why not make my life easier.... hope the boys don’t bring it back too muddy!

The receiver in the front is more for weights and equipment and not towing but it's their for towing if need be ;)

Good choice Mav. I love my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Its got true front and rear locking differentials and sway bar disconnect. The only modification that I've made to it so far is to add an ARB front bumper, a hydraulic winch and off road lights. I've been thinking about putting a supercharger on the little V6 engine.
Since the accident it's still in the shop. No idea when it'll be finished.

The boys got back with the Jeep around 12:45am, apparently they took it to a friend of theirs (off road shop) I guess they gone through it.

Replacing the ceramic brake pads with semi metallic, ordered multi piston Calipers and upgraded rotors for the front

Replaced the 1350 u-joints with a 1310; reason, the 1350 is too strong, the stock axle and or ring and pinion can give before the 1350 u-joint, the shop said it's putting a fuse in the drivetrain $18 Vs $1000

Ordered the garvin adventure rack, anzo 6" HID off road lights with bar, curt front mount hitch and setting it up with duel battery (don't want to rely on winching a Jeep out of a creek on one battery) plus a bunch of little stuff. Wife out talking to them now or scolding them, I'm staying out of this!

A0695715-445A-4385-AE80-7C24E63CB651.jpeg
The boys got back with the Jeep around 12:45am, apparently they took it to a friend of theirs (off road shop) I guess they gone through it.

Replacing the ceramic brake pads with semi metallic, ordered multi piston Calipers and upgraded rotors for the front

Replaced the 1350 u-joints with a 1310; reason, the 1350 is too strong, the stock axle and or ring and pinion can give before the 1350 u-joint, the shop said it's putting a fuse in the drivetrain $18 Vs $1000

Ordered the garvin adventure rack, anzo 6" HID off road lights with bar, curt front mount hitch and setting it up with duel battery (don't want to rely on winching a Jeep out of a creek on one battery) plus a bunch of little stuff. Wife out talking to them now or scolding them, I'm staying out of this!
Lol, jeep accessories can be addictive! I bought some cans of rhino liner and am going to do the interior of mine shortly after getting it back from the shop. Also need to get the seats recovered and will add a touch more padding in them. The list never ends.... glad you got something for the whole family to enjoy.

Speaking of accessories, I also changed those tires out to the skinny military tires. It looks a lot more authentic, even though it’s not. The tires pictured had no tread wear at all but were dry rotted so I did it more for safety than just looks.
Speaking of tires I discovered a better way of buying then. There are lots of online dealers that ship tires to your door much cheaper than at local stores. Walmart will mount and balance them cheap as well, even when they aren’t their tires. I learned this due to the fact three local tire places tried to convince me that another style tire, which they had, was better for me than what I wanted.

Speaking of accessories, I also changed those tires out to the skinny military tires. It looks a lot more authentic, even though it’s not. The tires pictured had no tread wear at all but were dry rotted so I did it more for safety than just looks.
Speaking of tires I discovered a better way of buying then. There are lots of online dealers that ship tires to your door much cheaper than at local stores. Walmart will mount and balance them cheap as well, even when they aren’t their tires. I learned this due to the fact three local tire places tried to convince me that another style tire, which they had, was better for me than what I wanted.

Luckily her’s have brand new tires, the previous owner put new tires on it before he listed the Jeep, apparently the Jeep never gone off road and only used the four wheel drive once since 1999 and the was getting into his driveway.

Luckily her’s have brand new tires, the previous owner put new tires on it before he listed the Jeep, apparently the Jeep never gone off road and only used the four wheel drive once since 1999 and the was getting into his driveway.
Did the boys get a scolding or a hug?

Latest posts

Back