Suicide

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prepper Nurse

Reaction score
Yesterday was a sad day. There was another famous person who committed suicide, and he was someone who had given so much to so many, including troops. None of us are powerful enough to stop someone from committing suicide. If someone really wants to do it, they'll find a way. There are those for whom this life is at times too painful to bear. If we can help them to stay in the game, holding on to the hope of better days, then that's a huge success.Those who are suicidal and those supporting them deserve the very best of help. If they do choose to exist this life, then those left behind deserve our greatest sympathy and support.

If you like youtube videos, here's a link to one I posted last night about suicide. Prepper Nurse

you sure don't tackle any light subjects my friend...
but I know what you mean, had to patch up my oldest son after his friend blew up him self, it took a long time for my son to cope with the loss and I still keep an eye on him

you sure don't tackle any light subjects my friend...
but I know what you mean, had to patch up my oldest son after his friend blew up him self, it took a long time for my son to cope with the loss and I still keep an eye on him
jontte, it does get me into a bit of trouble sometimes, but I'm not a powder puff kind of a nurse! Thank you for sharing your son's experience - it is shattering for those left behind, especially if they served in combat together. I will include your son in my prayers :)

It is a shame when someone does commit suicide. I really don't think that is the answer to their problems at all. . . it just puts their own misery out of commission and very selfish on their part. What about all the ones you leave behind that love you. You are also effecting them very deeply and some will be scared for life! It's a cop-out in my opinion.

It is a shame when someone does commit suicide. I really don't think that is the answer to their problems at all. . . it just puts their own misery out of commission and very selfish on their part. What about all the ones you leave behind that love you. You are also effecting them very deeply and some will be scared for life! It's a cop-out in my opinion.
And this is why I am not a counselor

I hate suicide with a passion. I have seen people "Fake" wanting to commit suicide, and I have known far too many who succeeded in it. While I despise the thought of someone doing this as a cry for help, I despise even more the pain that has driven people to this. The wives, children, other family, and friends just can't be patched up. No matter how much of a cop out it is, just try to empathize and see it from their position and how hopelessly lonely, depressed, and empty they must be to be sitting there in that moment, thinking that the best... NO, the ONLY option is to end their lives that way.

Please think of donating to a suicide prevention group, participating in a suicide prevention walk, or anything else you can do to help people see tomorrow. You never know, who could be the one that's deciding to be there for one of your family members one day.

I agree it absolutely is a shame when someone commits suicide. And it does deeply scar those left behind. And I agree that I think unless you've experienced what it's like to have the kind of torment inside your head it's really hard to see it as anything but selfish. However the survival instinct is so strong that it takes something very powerful to extinguish it. These people are in unbearable anguish of a kind you and I can't imagine. Just something to consider. Thank you for your comment Danil54grl :)

I hate suicide with a passion. I have seen people "Fake" wanting to commit suicide, and I have known far too many who succeeded in it. While I despise the thought of someone doing this as a cry for help, I despise even more the pain that has driven people to this. The wives, children, other family, and friends just can't be patched up. No matter how much of a cop out it is, just try to empathize and see it from their position and how hopelessly lonely, depressed, and empty they must be to be sitting there in that moment, thinking that the best... NO, the ONLY option is to end their lives that way.

Please think of donating to a suicide prevention group, participating in a suicide prevention walk, or anything else you can do to help people see tomorrow. You never know, who could be the one that's deciding to be there for one of your family members one day.
Alabaster, this was beautifully stated!! Thank you ever so much!!

Some people can't help but have suicidal thoughts, though.
My cousin has issues due to thyroid medicine he took a lot of when he was younger. He can't help but want to kill himself on occasion. He doesn't want to die, but he can't control the urge.

My ex-girlfriend killed herself due to.mental instability (likely brought on by childhood abuse).

All I'm saying is that it's a lot more.complicated than we think.

Everybody has had a horrible experience at least once in their life. . . . Lord knows I have had a few! When dealt out, it depend on how strong that individual is at that time. . .What kind of support system do they at the time? The support system is probably the most important to some people. So many take so much to heart on how others feel or think about them. As for some, it is they get incurable diseases or the loss of money, it just depends on what that person cherishes.
It is not that I can not empathize or sympathize. . . Life can be hard at times, but it is the most beautiful and precious thing a person has and other doors are opened for a person all the time.

My Aunt who was diagnosed with cancer thought about it, saying that it would be so easy for her to drive her car into the side of a building and just ending it all and yes, she did suffer a lot. She did stay with us until the cancer finally took her life. Thing was, even while she was at the hospital in her last days, she was a testimony to others and so was her family. Point is, other lives would not have been changed if she did what she thought of doing.

My cousin has issues due to thyroid medicine he took a lot of when he was younger. He can't help but want to kill himself on occasion. He doesn't want to die, but he can't control the urge.

My ex-girlfriend killed herself due to.mental instability (likely brought on by childhood abuse).

Well said. Some people also do not have a support system and it is extremely difficult for them. I have PTSD from abuse as a child and there aren't enough resources out there (they are all focused on veterans, there are very few for "normal" individuals at least in my area).

It also took me over a year to find a counselor that had time to see my daughter who has anxiety and depression and there is a 2 year wait to see a psychiatrist at Children's for medication. In the past 2 years she has had 9 classmates commit suicide and at all the school meetings one of the biggest complaints I have heard from parents is that there isn't any help out there for these kids. You're given a number to call for emergency/crisis counseling and they talk to you for 5 minutes and tell you you need to find a psychiatrist or counselor but there aren't enough of them to treat everyone and you get an appt 6 months out or put on a wait list. Unfortunately I don't see any way to solve the problem any time in the near future.

I've had a couple of friends who committed suicide over the years, one of them was over a trivial argument with his OH, I also have a friend who is a paranoid skitsophrenic (sorry about the spelling not sure how you spell it)who asks my advise and then does the opposite!!! it seems you just cant help some people. after TSHTF I am expecting the suicide rate to rocket(in the UK at least) as people wont be able to cope.

Yesterday was a sad day. There was another famous person who committed suicide, and he was someone who had given so much to so many, including troops. None of us are powerful enough to stop someone from committing suicide. If someone really wants to do it, they'll find a way. There are those for whom this life is at times too painful to bear. If we can help them to stay in the game, holding on to the hope of better days, then that's a huge success.Those who are suicidal and those supporting them deserve the very best of help. If they do choose to exist this life, then those left behind deserve our greatest sympathy and support.

If you like youtube videos, here's a link to one I posted last night about suicide. Prepper Nurse

Well said. Some people also do not have a support system and it is extremely difficult for them. I have PTSD from abuse as a child and there aren't enough resources out there (they are all focused on veterans, there are very few for "normal" individuals at least in my area).

It also took me over a year to find a counselor that had time to see my daughter who has anxiety and depression and there is a 2 year wait to see a psychiatrist at Children's for medication. In the past 2 years she has had 9 classmates commit suicide and at all the school meetings one of the biggest complaints I have heard from parents is that there isn't any help out there for these kids. You're given a number to call for emergency/crisis counseling and they talk to you for 5 minutes and tell you you need to find a psychiatrist or counselor but there aren't enough of them to treat everyone and you get an appt 6 months out or put on a wait list. Unfortunately I don't see any way to solve the problem any time in the near future.
Everybody has had a horrible experience at least once in their life. . . . Lord knows I have had a few! When dealt out, it depend on how strong that individual is at that time. . .What kind of support system do they at the time? The support system is probably the most important to some people. So many take so much to heart on how others feel or think about them. As for some, it is they get incurable diseases or the loss of money, it just depends on what that person cherishes.
It is not that I can not empathize or sympathize. . . Life can be hard at times, but it is the most beautiful and precious thing a person has and other doors are opened for a person all the time.

My Aunt who was diagnosed with cancer thought about it, saying that it would be so easy for her to drive her car into the side of a building and just ending it all and yes, she did suffer a lot. She did stay with us until the cancer finally took her life. Thing was, even while she was at the hospital in her last days, she was a testimony to others and so was her family. Point is, other lives would not have been changed if she did what she thought of doing.
I've had a couple of friends who committed suicide over the years, one of them was over a trivial argument with his OH, I also have a friend who is a paranoid skitsophrenic (sorry about the spelling not sure how you spell it)who asks my advise and then does the opposite!!! it seems you just cant help some people. after TSHTF I am expecting the suicide rate to rocket(in the UK at least) as people wont be able to cope.

This has been a very agonizing month for me, on top of personal issues that have required me to focus on an ill son and brother, I have had to attend four funeral this because of the decisions of people who felt so desperate to take their own life. A 15, 19, 42 and 59 year old people, why do I mention their ages, simply because suicides strike at all ages, they do not have to emotional or psychological issues affecting them, in fact the 15 year old was as a result of a bullying incident that happened over the summer and the 19 year old felt he had no future in life. The 59 year old due to continued health issues. As I read all your posts, I deal with the thought that at times, a very close family member teeters on the brink of such ideas at times, I continue to support him, encourage him to discuss this with professionals and hope that each day as he wakes up to start another day, that he can find peace within himself to struggle through life's challenges.

Culturally, from my mother's side, ritual suicide is accepted, I won't go into the cultural aspect of why some Japanese people adhere to the thought of it, but I do understand the ritual aspect of atonement and know that without honor, most Japanese cannot face another Japanese without it. Like I said, its cultural, trust me and I am not trying to make light of the subject, but I think I understand my mother than most people, and understand how frustrated she has become at her age. I will not deny that when I left for a certain place, I discussed the options with my spouse in the event that I would have been captured, not something you want to discuss with your love, but something that had to be addressed considering the situation and who we were combatting. For those that know me, you know I would never dishonor my country, my family or ask succor from my enemy.

Why did I decide to take time to comment on this thread, simply, as Alabaster said, think of the loved ones that are picking up the pieces and left blaming themselves what they could have done to stop it. I know that is what everyone is saying for all four of these lovely people. I know that the 15 year old just was in my class and now I am heartbroken that I did not instill enough in her to prevent this awful decision. As for the 19 year old, my entire family is saddened and can only support his grandmother each day, because this young man was such a good soul and respectful to his family.

I can't speak of what resources are out their, each state has an intervention hotline, at a minimum call 211. They have a list of resources out their that can help people, but don't wait, if you know someone is talking about it, whether the person is faking it or not, its a time to intercede, who knows you might help someone. Locally, our city has a great mental health program that helps regionally people desperate for mental health care.

As for after TSHF, I agree rates will go through the roof, people will become desperate or despondent. I placed a PDF a while back in the medical forum, download it for your own references or just go out their and find resources to collect on your own. While I agree much has been written on PTSD, much of the same clinical protocols are used for those suffering from non-PTSD signs/symptoms (minus withdrawing said person from the combat situation).

Also, thank you Alabaster for stating getting involved in awareness marches or donating...these are simple things that don't take too much time out of your life. Thanks again Prepper Nurse for the video.

Thank you klon solo so much for your post. Your point is very well made. It is more complicated than we can even imagine. I am so sorry that you've experience suicide so personally. I am glad to hear your cousin is still here - thryoid issues absolutely can result in serious mental health issues. I so appreciate your comment :) Prepper Nurse

Danil54grl, that's an excellent remark about the importance of support. It is so true. For some people it means the world, and the absence of it is crushing. It is also very true that lives are very much affected by the decisions we make. Thank you for your comment :)

NVM1, thank you so much for sharing your personal knowledge of PTSD and suicide. NINE!!! That is an epidemic. I am so sorry for the children in your area. It is no wonder you daughter has anxiety and depression - suicide is extraordinarily difficult for the young to witness and survive. My prayers to you and your community. You are your daughter's best medication and treatment at this time - I so wish you had more help! Know that sensitive, warm, responsive & loving parents can help a child withstand enormous stresses. There is a website I like that is designed for people to use their resources online. Here's a link to the depression and anxiety self-help toolkits.
www.heretohelp.bc.ca
http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/factsheet/dealing-with-a-depression-diagnosis
http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/factsheet/working-with-your-doctor-for-depression
http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/factsheet/preventing-relapse-of-depression
http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/factsheet/talking-to-your-child-or-teen-about-anxiety
http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/visions...ildren-and-youth-n14/helping-anxious-children
http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/factsheet/anxiety-disorders

The Centre for Addiction & Mental Health also has excellent information.
http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/heal...nxiety_disorders/Pages/anxiety_disorders.aspx
http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/heal...ion_information/depression/Pages/default.aspx

Thank you bigpaul. Suicide is found everywhere, no society is exempt. And I agree, in a SHTF many people may choose to exit this way. Thank you for your comment :)

Latest posts

Back