Sugar

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalm 7

God Like
Reaction score
I have never seen it but the old timers used to talk about growing their own sugar cane and useing a sourgum press to make their own sourgum and sugar . They talked about peeling and eating sugar cane right out of the field .

I have never seen it but the old timers used to talk about growing their own sugar cane and useing a sourgum press to make their own sourgum and sugar . They talked about peeling and eating sugar cane right out of the field .
Wasn't sure about it so had a look on youtube and it looks straight forward. The old timers talk about growing sugar beat in the uk during ww2.

I've eaten fresh sugar cane before, and it was pretty good. I know it can be grown in fla. But not sure how it does in colder climates. It kind of was like bamboo, but had a really sweet sappy inside. Kind of tasted like 'green' sugar.

Wasn't sure about it so had a look on youtube and it looks straight forward. The old timers talk about growing sugar beat in the uk during ww2.
I have some beets in the greenhouse that look big enough to eat now. I've never eaten anything other that the standard pickeled beets, which I really like. I would appreciate any tips on what to do with a fresh beet. I've heard you can roast them, and use em in soups and stews. I'll probably pick them this weekend, and have about fifty plants. I know the rabbits are loving all the scraps from the greenhouse, nothing left over for compost, but at least I have rabbit manure for the garden.

I have some beets in the greenhouse that look big enough to eat now. I've never eaten anything other that the standard pickeled beets, which I really like. I would appreciate any tips on what to do with a fresh beet. I've heard you can roast them, and use em in soups and stews. I'll probably pick them this weekend, and have about fifty plants. I know the rabbits are loving all the scraps from the greenhouse, nothing left over for compost, but at least I have rabbit manure for the garden.
A healthy eating company here made crisps/chips out of beets, parsnips.....If I eat chips/crisps I want full fat ones, I'd miss crisps post shtf. :(
I tend to eat beets with salad.

A healthy eating company here made crisps/chips out of beets, parsnips.....If I eat chips/crisps I want full fat ones, I'd miss crisps post shtf. :(
I tent eat beets wad.

Curious a bout crisp chips out of beats? Sugar is made from beats as well as sugar. And if you have never been to a cane cutting, grinding, and cooking you have missed out. One of my child hood favorite things was to get the rock candy from the bottom of jar or off the stiring paddle. Don't see it being done much anymore. One of the last old timers passed away about two weeks ago. So sad to bad for the younger gen. of children.
Good luck, be safe, God bless!

one of the Taoist/Buddhist ceremonies in Asia uses fresh sugar cane.

When I was a kid, we used to get the sugar cane, cut them into cubes and chew on them. Its really messy and honestly if you look at us, its quite disgusting with all the spitting and all, but damn were the sugar cane great tasting!

Loved it as a kid but the T2 Diabetes means I can't do that no more. ah well..

Myrrph suchs to have T2, sure hate it for ya! I can relate to the chunks of sugar cane. What a fall treat those were the days.
We had cane cuttings, the mule turned the mill, the old men (Papa & uncle Cooter) cooked the juice to syrup. Then after the cane was done and the fire was hot we had hog killing, scald and scrape. The water was dipped out and the kettle rinsed. The skin was put in the kettle pork skins, and lard. Then the hams, bellies, hocks, and jowels were packed in wood boxes of sugar/salt to go in the salt house for about six months. Sausage made, pork butts, chops, ribs,heart, liver all wrapped and decided up between all of the families. This usually started on Thursday and ended on Sunday! The preacher and his family were there and at some point there would be preaching. Then all of the families would bring food, and it was a feast.
Then the worst part for little boys bath time. It's funny all of that food that was made in that kettle, now the ashes were used to make lye soap to wash us youngins. We still make lye soap and use it in our home. My wife's smells better and does not dry you out like my Nana's.
Nana is 94 Y/O now and has dementia. We jokingly say she is our 94 Y/O toddler. Then when we are making soap or sausage she has such lucid moment's. Guess I am tired as I went of on a rant and got off course there.
God bless! Good night!

have you tried to fry those beets and add bluecheese when they are almost done??

cut in thin slices then dehydrate the beets, once dehydrated pound them to a powder ;)

Use to suck the sugar right out of the cane in the cane fields of Okinawa; when I lived their as a kid. I'll nose around the WWW, see if I can find a PDF on sugar and what are the best plants to get it from. Not a big sugar beet guy.

well,I could grow sugar beets here,but for sugar cane....way to coooooooooold

Everyone told me to plant beets and I said, "But I don't eat beets." I never knew they could be made into sugar. I wonder if it's too late to plant them now. We do have a long growing season here.

Here in FL, grows wild even, but I'm not sure I agree with the claim it's "simple" to make such a press. It's actually a pretty complex operation to get to the sugar you buy in the store.

First, you have to make the sugarcane into raw sugar...then, you have to make that into refined sugar. None of which is easy.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070515070200AAENMgq

Last edited:
Here in FL, grows wild even, but I'm not I agree with the claim it's "simple" to make such a press. It's actually a pretty complex operation to get to the sugar you buy in the store.

First, you have to make the sugarcane into raw sugar...then, you have to make that into refined sugar. None of which is easy.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070515070200AAENMgq

You are so right! Sugar is a lot of work by man and beast. A lot of fire wood. A lot time. If your going to make sugar out of cane 100 lbs of cane makes about 10-15 lbs of juice. 100 gal juice makes approx 8 gal syrup, the syrup has to be cooked down further to make sugar. That's why so many southern recipes use to have cane syrup in them, even sweet tea!

coffee, tea etc... if you make pine needle tea or dandelion tea it would work great in it or use it to sweeten otherwise bitter juice made from plants.

We have some planted, I will have to give that a try!

Latest posts

Back