Substitute for Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked some rice I put into plastic bottles from 2008. It had bugs in it. I know they did not get into the bottles after packaging. They had to be carried with the rice as eggs and hatched in the bottles. Upon researching this and advice from Anorak, I suggest you freeze rice (any grains) before storage. It will not take the eggs out but will kill them and keep them from hatching. Freeze for at least 72 hours before packaging. I plan to freeze for a full 5 days to be on the safe side.

I checked some rice I put into plastic bottles from 2008. It had bugs in it. I know they did not get into the bottles after packaging. They had to be carried with the rice as eggs and hatched in the bottles. Upon researching this and advice from Anorak, I suggest you freeze rice (any grains) before storage. It will not take the eggs out but will kill them and keep them from hatching. Freeze for at least 72 hours before packaging. I plan to freeze for a full 5 days to be on the safe side.
Hmmmm...I wonder if I should take my already sealed bottles of rice and shove them in the freezer for 3 days...they've only been in storage for a FEW months...

Hmmmm...I wonder if I should take my already sealed bottles of rice and shove them in the freezer for 3 days...they've only been in storage for a FEW months...

It sure wont hurt the rice any. Better safe than sorry. Look closely at the sides of the bottles. If the critters hatched like I had they are not hard to spot. Some looked like small worms that were zebra striped. Others were bugs with legs. I remember when I brought this rice home. We packaged it the same day and I had the bottles clean, dry and ready to go. That's why I'm sure it had to have eggs in it that hatched.

I'd get the O2 absorbers and mylar online and use them for long term storage.

I'd agree. beprepared.com is at least one site I know of, off the top of my head.

I am from the Philippines and it is quite humid here. My concern is food storage and the goods needed to store dry crops such as rice. What are the alternatives for mylar bags and oxygen absorbers? I have no idea where I can purchase that in here.
Dry can in the oven. Put rice, grains, oatmeal, flour or beans in mason jars on a cookie sheet without lids in a oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. Take jars out and put canning lids and rings on them and finger tighten. They will seal by themselves and last for years. Be careful. Jars will be very hot.

Dry can in the oven. Put rice, grains, oatmeal, flour or beans in mason jars on a cookie sheet without lids in a oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. Take jars out and put canning lids and rings on them and finger tighten. They will seal by themselves and last for years. Be careful. Jars will be very hot.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have an oven. We only have a rice cooker and a small oven toaster (the one that can fit only a fish and not even a chicken)

I like the idea of this a lot. Is there any concern of nutritional loss or items being partially cooked?

I will get one of those roaster ovens. The ones that can fit big chickens. I have a kinda small kitchen since my place is a condo.

Hi!

What's a dessicant?:) i am researching about mylar bags and o2 absorbers too. Maybe i could use thy instead.

Thank you

Hi!

What's a dessicant?:) i am researching about mylar bags and o2 absorbers too. Maybe i could use thy instead.

Thank you
Dessicants absorb water or hummidity but not O2, they are the little pouches that say "DO NOT EAT" that you find is stuff.

Latest posts

Back