stumbling blocks to prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooky2483

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I suppose one of many reasons as to why people here in UK don't bother or think about prepping is that we have a lot more restrictions as to weaponry. We are not as freely allowed to own a gun or rifle as you are in the USA. We are not legally allowed to own/carry a bladed weapon over, I think it's 4" or 6".
So that makes us defenceless. Even carrying a baseball/rounders bat on us or in a vehicle we own is questioned and a high possibility of having the Police confiscate it and most probably we would be charged with an offence of carrying a weapon - if the bat was carried on its own without anything such as a ball or a catchers mitt (which as it's not one of our national sports, would be unlikely), they would still be suspicious of it's purpose.

It would also be a problem for people on medication, such as Diabetics, stroke/heart attack victims, epileptics and so on - they would soon run out of the medication needed and die. I suppose it could be said that they might not be useful in a doomsday scenario and so would not be much of a loss, but that is no consolation to their loved ones. It would directly affect me as my wife is Diabetic and has to take a lot of medication on a daily basis - cholesterol/blood pressure/pain relief.

I used to be in the TA's and so have had weapons training on a number of weapons and survival skills and combat skills so there’s no problem there but for obtaining a weapon.

Wow, that is hard to imagine in US. We start buying guns for the boys after thier 10-12 birthdays in the country. many city people here have never touched a gun.

I understand that it is still legal to hunt, target shoot, and belong to clubs in England. Shotguns are still legal with permit. is there a reason you cannot fullfill the requirements for the permit?

Don't think so, I'd love to own some of the weapons I used in the TA's, GPMG/SA-80/SLR. Love the firepower.
I am trained on the GPMG in the SF role too.
Don't think the other half would appreciate a weapon being kept in the house tho' - dunno why lol.

acording to my british hunting friend you just need to do some research.
You will need a mounted safe (attached to a wall out of site maybe in closet)
It would most definitly help for you to belong to some sort of club, clay shooters or hunting)
It would be in your intrest to start asking your friends about it, you may be surprised.
I think he said it was L50 every 5 years for permit.
a officer will come to your home and inspect your safe.
Hope the info helps, if it is still relevent. laws and rules change.

I remember my wife telling me that her dad had some shotguns in a locked cabinet in their bungalow but they’re gone now as he has sadly passed.
It would have been good going shooting with him.

Yes but you can pass down this tradition to his grandchildren and yours,
If the bungalow is still in family possetion, can you get into his safe.
you could remove it from where it is, and reinstall it where you are if noone is using it.
I recall there is no closed season for rabbits and grey squirrels in UK
And that farm owners are REQUIRED to exterminate thier own. or the council or something would come do itfor them and send bill.
ON this subject everything I say is second hand, and I am truly just repeating what I dont know to be fact
(I hate people that do that, so I feel compelled to tell you this)

You really need to just not think its not worth the trouble, and spend some effort to find out for yourself.
I do distinctly remember my friend telling me that some clubs are more frowned upon than others. if you sign with some (extremists) you will be blackballed from all other clubs, forever. Dont do anything hasty, do you personally know an officer? friend or family know an officer?
In UK I was led to believe you need a REASON to get permit. And permission of a location at which you will use it from property owner before you apply for permit.

Educate yourself first, then start the requirements for your permit. Happy shooting.

I do know 2 Police Officers, they belong to a local Astronomy Club, well, they actually run it.
As for the weapon safe, it's now gone.
What's the weapon of choice on a gun range? as I don’t know much about it (not looked into it), only really interested in high velocity weaponry such as I mentioned above, for targets 300m and beyond (I was a damn good show when I was in the TA's)

Me nor my friends agree what is the best gun. On a range they are all just loud and fun. My range is truly just a path dozed out down through my property with a pile of dirt pushed up here and there as backstop. total lenght is a little over 500 yards, but those distances are rarely used at my place unless I have friends from Fort Bragg over. With my weapons I am at 300 yards or closer, It takes a pile of money to play at long distance, every shot your wallet feels, we usualy play in the 150 yard range and closer. That is the distance that I have cords to run targets out. Everything else is a walk all the way out there and set up.

We have the most fun, with shotgun or 22 games. cheap and simple. Spend the rest of our money on grill food, not smoking cartrages.

We are not as freely allowed to own a gun or rifle as you are in the USA. We are not legally allowed to own/carry a bladed weapon over, I think it's 4" or 6".

We are allowed to have a folding pocket knife with a blade 3" or shorter in length.
Also the blade must not lock into place when open.
If stopped with it you might have to come up with a 'reasonable excuse' as to why you had it in a public place.
Hope that helps when you are picking your next pocket knife.

We are allowed to have a folding pocket knife with a blade 3" or shorter in length.
Also the blade must not lock into place when open.
If stopped with it you might have to come up with a 'reasonable excuse' as to why you had it in a public place.
Hope that helps when you are picking your next pocket knife.

But isn’t that what a pocket knife blade actually does?
How about one of those retractable snap-off 'STANLEY' craft knives? They are rather lethal.

But isn’t that what a pocket knife blade actually does?
How about one of those retractable snap-off 'STANLEY' craft knives? They are rather lethal.

Think of Swiss army knife when I say pocket knife.
Generally the blade will fold and not lock into place or isn't a fixed bladed knife.
If it can be folded and locked into place then it is a no no in the UK.
As for the Stanley knife you would have to justify why you have it on you. Especially if you don't use it in your everyday job etc.

But in my understanding, even a pocket knife is illegal as it does lock into place.

Depends on the circumstances that you are in when it is found on you.
If you were camping, fishing etc then you could probably explain that and everything would be fine.
Go out to a club, pub or any place that would raise suspision then questions would probably be asked.
Even if you get involved in a fight and have no intention of using it you will probably be arrested for the offence of being in possession of a sharply pointed or bladed article.

It all depends on the circumstances, situation, explaination, location.

pooky av u thought bout bows and crossbows no laws on them? i was also lookin int guns but its to much hassle plus my gf also not keen on them in the house but i fink the uk jus wudnt av the same kinda truble the usa wud ave

pooky av u thought bout bows and crossbows no laws on them? i was also lookin int guns but its to much hassle plus my gf also not keen on them in the house but i fink the uk jus wudnt av the same kinda truble the usa wud ave

Cool, I could be like Daryl from Walking Dead :cool:

not seen that but think of how strong the english were when we was armed with long bows at such great battles such as the battle of azincourt unlimited ammo and silent makin the perfect assasin tool

Season 3 starts this month so if yo want, you can catch up on the first 2. It's a great series.

Hi everyone,
I suppose one of many reasons as to why people here in UK don't bother or think about prepping is that we have a lot more restrictions as to weaponry. We are not as freely allowed to own a gun or rifle as you are in the USA. We are not legally allowed to own/carry a bladed weapon over, I think it's 4" or 6".
So that makes us defenceless. Even carrying a baseball/rounders bat on us or in a vehicle we own is questioned and a high possibility of having the Police confiscate it and most probably we would be charged with an offence of carrying a weapon - if the bat was carried on its own without anything such as a ball or a catchers mitt (which as it's not one of our national sports, would be unlikely), they would still be suspicious of it's purpose.

It would also be a problem for people on medication, such as Diabetics, stroke/heart attack victims, epileptics and so on - they would soon run out of the medication needed and die. I suppose it could be said that they might not be useful in a doomsday scenario and so would not be much of a loss, but that is no consolation to their loved ones. It would directly affect me as my wife is Diabetic and has to take a lot of medication on a daily basis - cholesterol/blood pressure/pain relief.

I used to be in the TA's and so have had weapons training on a number of weapons and survival skills and combat skills so there’s no problem there but for obtaining a weapon.

Consider a fine English Walking Stick with say a Derby handle or a fine Rattan Cane. I have two Rattan Canes. Both have a crook of 4" ( 10.16 cm). I perfer Rattan over hardwood. Makes an excellent weapon. I don't leave home without mine.

Consider a fine English Walking Stick with say a Derby handle or a fine Rattan Cane. I have two Rattan Canes. Both have a crook of 4" ( 10.16 cm). I perfer Rattan over hardwood. Makes an excellent weapon. I don't leave home without mine.
Here in california carrying a stick in the car as a weapon is a felony, but no law against canes! I keep one in the car at all times and since I have handicap plates no cop would question me.

Latest posts

Back