stumbling blocks to prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,
I suppose one of many reasons as to why people here in UK don't bother or think about prepping is that we have a lot more restrictions as to weaponry. We are not as freely allowed to own a gun or rifle as you are in the USA. We are not legally allowed to own/carry a bladed weapon over, I think it's 4" or 6".
So that makes us defenceless. Even carrying a baseball/rounders bat on us or in a vehicle we own is questioned and a high possibility of having the Police confiscate it and most probably we would be charged with an offence of carrying a weapon - if the bat was carried on its own without anything such as a ball or a catchers mitt (which as it's not one of our national sports, would be unlikely), they would still be suspicious of it's purpose.

It would also be a problem for people on medication, such as Diabetics, stroke/heart attack victims, epileptics and so on - they would soon run out of the medication needed and die. I suppose it could be said that they might not be useful in a doomsday scenario and so would not be much of a loss, but that is no consolation to their loved ones. It would directly affect me as my wife is Diabetic and has to take a lot of medication on a daily basis - cholesterol/blood pressure/pain relief.

I used to be in the TA's and so have had weapons training on a number of weapons and survival skills and combat skills so there’s no problem there but for obtaining a weapon.

How about a long bow or compound bow. Can you have knives an such shipped to you ? via internet ? Sounds like you need to go old school, start making a weapons stash. Hide them in a 4 inch pvc or abs pipe with caps an bury it.

How about a long bow or compound bow. Can you have knives an such shipped to you ? via internet ? Sounds like you need to go old school, start making a weapons stash. Hide them in a 4 inch pvc or abs pipe with caps an bury it.
If we aren't careful we will end up like England, and Australia... weaponless.

Oo for sure if Obama wins kiss all gun rights good bye if I'm not mistaken we have 3 Supreme Court judges that are retiring soon and if he win he will put in his anti gun goons

Here in california carrying a stick in the car as a weapon is a felony, but no law against canes! I keep one in the car at all times and since I have handicap plates no cop would question me.

I actually got on a plane with mine. It's a martial arts cane. Just have to be careful not to modify it, then it makes it a weapon. People don't question me either, but then it's my age.

Anything can be used as a weapon, you just gotta know how to use it, being military trained helps too...

Here in california carrying a stick in the car as a weapon is a felony, but no law against canes! I keep one in the car at all times and since I have handicap plates no cop would question me.

its illegal because, natural sticks are known to cause cancer in CA.

Think of Swiss army knife when I say pocket knife.
Generally the blade will fold and not lock into place or isn't a fixed bladed knife.
If it can be folded and locked into place then it is a no no in the UK.
As for the Stanley knife you would have to justify why you have it on you. Especially if you don't use it in your everyday job etc.

So.... Gerber/Leatherman multi functional tools not allowed?

Not quite sure, though I do have one of those.
BTP, are you still around, can you shed any light into whether that’s OK to carry around?

there are plenty of weapons you can use in the UK that don't need licencing, just a bit of common sense whilst using them, longbows, compound bows, crossbows-both full size and pistol, air rifles, catapults(slingshots to our American cousins), spears, knives. we aren't exactly weaponLESS in the UK.

Weapons are only one part of prepping, and a small one at that. Necessary, yes, but far more prepping can be done in the way of establishing renewable water and food resources, and even alternative medical ideas. Google on doomsday diabetes, and I bet you find all kinds of ideas on how to keep your wife well even if the SHTF.

Google on doomsday diabetes, and I bet you find all kinds of ideas on how to keep your wife well even if the SHTF.

Thanks for that one Gazrok.
I've not been on for quite a while as the Mrs was not into 'prepping', but after watching the series 'Under The Dome', which got her thinking. She is now very much a 'prepper' and we are stocking up on food and other things.
I have been looking at sites for 'silent weapons' and when we have the money, I will be making purchases...

I have been looking at sites for 'silent weapons' and when we have the money, I will be making purchases...

Crossbow. Nearly as easy to use as a gun, but much more silent.

However, even a .22 isn't really all that noisy, when compared to other firearms. (and is a good option for hunting small game too).

Still pays to have a shotgun and/or actual rifle when needed too though.

Take a look at some of the other UK threads on guns and you'll see why I chose 'silent weapons' over guns...

Oh, I get it, why you guys need to. I meant for any others. I know you can get a gun in the UK, just costs a lot of money and time.

Latest posts

Back