Student built a cheap and thin composite armour that can stop even an AK-47

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the video, please let me know what you think:

I didn't see the final weight of the panel, but am sure it's lighter than a steel plate. I like working with whatever materials you have available too. Gazrok posted about making concrete planters, and if shtf then removing the dirt and using them for a fortified defensive posistions. I think that leaving the dirt, or sand/gravel mix preferably, in it would be more effective. The hard outer concrete wall will work at first, but will crumble with multiple shots. The sand gravel mix will absorbe and disperse the energy of the bullet, protecting the second wall and of course the defender. The outer wall needs small reinforcing mesh to keep the shattered concrete together too. I think it's a brilliant idea in a residential area. If you just build a bunker/ pillbox in your front yard I have a feeling you might draw a bit of unwanted attention!

Thanks. I like the mesh suggestion. And you could easily cover it with a thin smear of concrete to visually hide it. The idea of keeping some sand gravel in there has merit too....so maybe just make it to where we partially dig out room for a sentry.... Post SHTF, we originally just planned on putting sandbags in front of the concrete walls of the "planters", but something to be said for not advertising the defenses.

The video though.... I could see applying this to a truck bed, and truck doors, and even a post SHTF cover for a windshield.

After having some fun with the new back up camera on the truck, I can see some potential uses for an additional camera, such as hooking a front-facing one to the aux in, and using it post SHTF, or even when parking in close quarters.

Last edited:
I don't know how large your planters are but it's easy to poke a leg or foot out of cover if you are paying attention to other stuff, and the slightest flanking move will expose even more. If they were U-shaped you would have a nice safe hide that's good until they actually get behind you, at which point it's game over anyway.

U-shaped, but with the back facing the walls of the house or other building.

Pre SHTF, would go all the way up to the house. Post SHTF, can remove the access points, and we'd use spare blocks to make cover from the exits to move into position. (something I'd also put around the access for the power panel, and well pump, etc.)

Latest posts

Back