Story from a SHTF Survivor

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Hello all, I've seen this story posted in many places, and read it many times. I've seen it posted here, but a bit hard to stumble on, so reiterating it here.

Here's the link:
http://www.silverdoctors.com/one-year-in-hellsurviving-a-full-shtf-collapse-in-bosnia/

It's a story from a guy surviving in war-torn Bosnia...

I am from Bosnia. You know, between 1992 and 1995, it was hell. For one year, I lived and survived in a city with 6,000 people without water, electricity, gasoline, medical help, civil defense, distribution service, any kind of traditional service or centralized rule.
Today, me and my family are well-prepared, I am well-armed. I have experience.
It does not matter what will happen: an earthquake, a war, a tsunami, aliens, terrorists, economic collapse, uprising. The important part is that something will happen.

Some great tips from this story, as well as the personal account....

Some excerpts:

On things to use for barter, some suggestions that many of us have echoed:
Arms, ammunition, candles, lighters, antibiotics, gasoline, batteries and food. We fought for these things like animals. In these situations, it all changes. Men become monsters. It was disgusting.

Or: (when asked what to stockpile)
That depends. If you plan to live by theft, all you need is weapons and ammo. Lots of ammo.

If not, more food, hygiene items, batteries, accumulators, little trading items (knives, lighters, flints, soap). Also, alcohol of a type that keeps well. The cheapest whiskey is a good trading item.

On being a lone Rambo type:
Strength was in numbers. A man living alone getting killed and robbed would be just a matter of time, even if he was armed.

Further echoed:
Surviving on your own is practically impossible. (That’s what I think.) Even you’re armed and ready, if you’re alone, you’ll die. I have seen that happen many times.
Families and groups, well-prepared, with skills and knowledge in various fields: That’s much better.

Something I hadn't thought of a lot...how quickly folks would burn everything for fuel...
Without electricity for cooking and heat, we burned anything that burned. Furniture, doors, flooring: That wood burns swiftly.

On the value of skills:
I was a paramedic. In these conditions, my knowledge was my wealth. Be curious and skilled. In these conditions, the ability to fix things is more valuable than gold.

One of those preps you may not have immediately thought of...
Many people died from insufficient hygiene. You’ll need simple items in great amounts. For example, garbage bags. Lots of them. And toilet papers. Non-reusable dishes and cups: You’ll need lots of them. I know that because we didn’t have any at all.

Real revelation...
As for me, a supply of hygiene items is perhaps more important than food. You can shoot a pigeon. You can find a plant to eat. You can’t find or shoot any disinfectant.

Just a great, great read.

it is a great read..i still have that window open.and fiction to go into town..hopefully my mom will see it

Some have doubted whether the account is true, but so far, everything seems to have checked out (as much as one can). To be honest though, even if it turned out false, still has some interesting insight. I've known a few who got out of there, and they have similar stories. The biggest surprise to me was how almost all of them had lost SOMEONE close to them through either the elements (cold) or sanitation/sickness issues. That really drives home how important it is to stock such things. Like the guy said, you can't grow or shoot yourself some disinfectant.

Thank you for that link. I dont doubt that is a true story. And I think we should all heed his perspective of how things are in a SHTF reality. I just read article to my husband and he agrees guns and ammo a must, and I think besides food, TP, antibiotics/medication and hygiene items are of the utmost importance.
Havin a family and close allience are a must for security and thats a no brainer!

Latest posts

Back