Storing Supplies for a BOB

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all sounds great.but there's one thing that you might want to try..and thats a bug out practice run.in which you time your self to see how long it takes you to get every thing packed and loaded into the vehicle in which you would buging out in.then check your time,nd ask your self.am i happy with this time?shaving off just a few seconds can save the life of a loved one,as well as yours.in a real life emergency.

all sounds great.but there's one thing that you might want to try..and thats a bug out practice run.in which you time your self to see how long it takes you to get every thing packed and loaded into the vehicle in which you would buging out in.then check your time,nd ask your self.am i happy with this time?shaving off just a few seconds can save the life of a loved one,as well as yours.in a real life emergency.
As they say, practice makes perfect. Reminds me to go camping soon and test out some of the gear. Now the weather is cooler it's time to go play outside again.

I have thought about this because I have some things in the BOB that have a limited shelf life, like energy bars, crackers and beef jerky. At first I kept them in the BOB, but they eventually reached their shelf life and had to be discarded, and replaced. So what I did at first was take all the items like that and put them in a ziplock and keep them in the freezer until needed. However, that means digging them out of the freezer on a moment's notice, and things tend to get pushed back to the back of the freezer...so that is not a really good solution.

If I pack several ziplocks with those items and rotate them, say weekly, keeping all but one in the freezer, and keeping one in the BOB, then that should extend the shelf life considerably, but not indefinitely. Or, I could just eat the items in the BOB before they reach their shelf life and put a fresh pack from the freezer in periodically. Then buy new supplies when the freezer supplies get low.

As far as the other items, some have been in there so long I don't remember everything off the top of my head that is in the BOB. And I may have raided the BOB for things like Neosporin and Multi-tools. I have a long term BOB that would be a pain in the Butt to repack (too big to carry on foot, so it's for bugging out in the truck). The normal BOB however wouldn't be that difficult to repack. I need to think about a rotation scheme with the non-perishable contents.

Well I've had to use some stuff from my BOB while on the road, I take my BOB with me when I go on long road trips. I've never had a big emergency, not yet, where I've had to use any of the really crucial supplies or main tools in my BOB but some of the stuff I've used from my BOB while on the road was this. Tissues, while on a road trip I had a case of the sniffles and had to blow my nose a lot. My regular tissue box that I keep in my car had ran out so I had to get the special rolled up Cohglan's tissues that I keep in my BOB, went through two rolls. Also, toilet paper. Once while on the road I stopped to eat at a Cracker Barrel and I had to use the restroom. The toilet stall had run out of toilet paper so I had to grab a roll that I keep in my BOB and use it. So that's what I've had to use in my BOB so far.

just like store bought foods..same applys to the foods in your B.O.B.buy what you eat already.and eat what you buy.then replace what you use/ate..

I had to take a quick flight on Friday and had my EDC bag with me. Before leaving for the airport I unloaded everything that I knew TSA would frown upon; .45ACP, ammo, bowie knife, etc. What I forgot to take out was an old Leatherman tool. Of course that caught their attention in the scanner. The funny part about it was the Leatherman was under my dirty underwear. Fortunately I had enough time to take it to a store just outside of security and had them mail it home for me.

LOL! that too :)
I now keep a 4 roll pack in the truck.

Well they do make the toilet paper that's meant for storing in a backpack, its more compact and without the cardboard roll. Or you could take regular toilet paper and just remove the cardboard roll. That way it takes up less space. Its good to take toilet paper with you in your BOB or in your vehicle when you travel. That way, you might not have to use your underwear as toilet paper, as I did.

I had to take a quick flight on Friday and had my EDC bag with me. Before leaving for the airport I unloaded everything that I knew TSA would frown upon; .45ACP, ammo, bowie knife, etc. What I forgot to take out was an old Leatherman tool. Of course that caught their attention in the scanner. The funny part about it was the Leatherman was under my dirty underwear. Fortunately I had enough time to take it to a store just outside of security and had them mail it home for me.

Or you could've just checked in your EDC bag.

keeping a b.o.b. in a closet and other places has been mentioned.as well as the foods thats kept in them.in which limited shelf life has been mentioned as well..im thinking.have shelves and/or cabinets right there with the bob..and only have the foods that go with the bob in/on them..eat and rotate the energy bars, crackers and beef jerky.or what ever is kept on hand for the bob.and of course,have foods with a long term self life right there as well..

Latest posts

Back