Storing Gasoline

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try always to add stabilizer to stored gas. If you are running it through anything with a carburator the stabilizer added means no extensive draining is necessary before storage--just run it dry. Also, OP, everyone in rural America stores gasoline. People from the cities always react badly to this until they live in the country for a year or so and then they understand.
Actually would like to hear your take. My shed next to the house used to be the generator shed. Electric added in the 90’s. Solar system added in 2006 with the controllers in the back of the shed.
Now the county in the Kommunist Republik says my tank is too close to an electric source. They approved the solar With that tank 20 ft away, not 25 ft away.

AntMan: You still aren't showing your cards, therefore no one can properly advise you.

Purpose?
Why underground?
Quantity required?
Can it be on your property as far as you are concerned?
Do you own the property and/or able alter it?
Are you attempting to hide it?
Is your home your bug-out location? (many small cans or one large container?)

If you truly want advise show your cards.

Last edited:
I have 2 above ground bulk fuel storage tanks, one for diesel and one for gasoline. Plus another 55 gallon diesel tank and a 60 gallon gas or diesel transfer tank. For propane I've got a 500 gallon tank for the house, a 250 gallon tank for the well pump generator, soon to be traded for a 500 gallon tank. And several smaller propane, gas and diesel containers. All of my bulk fuel is stored outside, the smaller fuel containers and propane bottles are stored inside sheds.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I wouldn't recommend storing ANY fuel containers inside a building that has any potential source of ignition, such as a water heater, furnace, electrical switch gear etc. Other than that, there's no problem storing fuel inside a building.
Wherever you chose to store your fuel just remember that fuel expands on a hot day and the fumes are easily ignited.

I store my stuff in a slightly damp level side room of a garage, good climate there and well ventilated, just the space is getting tight. Meanwhile, I have the camp because of the suicidal EU sanctions unfortunately have to enlarge.

photo_2022-05-17_19-10-50.jpg

Does anyone store gasoline underground (eg., in a covered hole)?
I don't know much about this but I would worry about condensation. I think gasoline/petrol takes on water easily. Can someone say if I'm right or wrong about that?

I don't know much about this but I would worry about condensation. I think gasoline/petrol takes on water easily. Can someone say if I'm right or wrong about that?

Depends on humidity and storing conditions. Your right. Run your fuel through a filter that doesn't let water through, before using it.

Actually would like to hear your take. My shed next to the house used to be the generator shed. Electric added in the 90’s. Solar system added in 2006 with the controllers in the back of the shed.
Now the county in the Kommunist Republik says my tank is too close to an electric source. They approved the solar With thatat tank 20 ft away, not 25 ft away.

What a nightmare. How did they find out your tank was "too close"? I have always stored gasoline outside, in the shade, in a place which is out of sight and protected from falling objects. But I do not store very much gasoline. I also stored chain saw mix in the same way. Where I am now I store gasoline in my daughter's shed along with the portible gas generator.

What a nightmare. How did they find out your tank was "too close"? I have always stored gasoline outside, in the shade, in a place which is out of sight and protected from falling objects. But I do not store very much gasoline. I also stored chain saw mix in the same way. Where I am now I store gasoline in my daughter's shed along with the portible gas generator.
This county is so screwed up, it doesn’t pay to try to pull the permits. They will tell you the tank should 50ft away but State law is 25ft.
If it ever comes to it, I will cut the shed in half. Ag property, I don’t need permits for sheds, so I will build more.

I have always used Stabil in the gasoline I stored and in the small engines. Now that I'm using non ethanol premium I was told that Stabil wasn't necessary. Does anyone know if this is true? I go through enough gasoline that treating it, at this time, really isn't a problem.

I have always used Stabil in the gasoline I stored and in the small engines. Now that I'm using non ethanol premium I was told that Stabil wasn't necessary. Does anyone know if this is true? I go through enough gasoline that treating it, at this time, really isn't a problem.

From what I understand, even non-ethanol gas will need to be stabilized.

Depends on humidity and storing conditions. Your right. Run your fuel through a filter that doesn't let water through, before using it.
Got any recommendations? Like, is there a brand or at least a keyword to search for here? Maybe it makes sense to buy a couple of these now while it's cheap.

From what I understand, even non-ethanol gas will need to be stabilized.
Thanks Doc. I'll go back to adding Stabil. My fuel is generally pretty fresh, I get 2 - 3 deliveries of 300 gallons per year. But I have a lot of small engines that don't get used much, they will need to be stabilized.
Last winter for my diesel I started using a 50/50 mix of off-road diesel and stove oil. I didn't have any gelling problems and didn't have to treat it.

This county is so screwed up, it doesn’t pay to try to pull the permits. They will tell you the tank should 50ft away but State law is 25ft.
If it ever comes to it, I will cut the shed in half. Ag property, I don’t need permits for sheds, so I will build more.

Where I am now in California THERE ARE NO BUILDING PERMITS. People just do what they want and it works out fine. This little group of cabins has been here over 100 years and yet nobody knows we are here. I love it.

Where I am now in California THERE ARE NO BUILDING PERMITS. People just do what they want and it works out fine. This little group of cabins has been here over 100 years and yet nobody knows we are here. I love it.
My Nieghborhood has been under attack since day 1 50 yrs ago. The rancher that subdivided beat the park district and the watershed authority that thought they could get the property cheap. A group of cabins close by have far worse problems than I. Gotta know the politics and I am lucky that rancher wrote a book. That book has even enlightened a 50 yr resident Neighbor. County says it’s not a public road, book says it was deeded to county in 1903.
They keep telling me they have to come do a survey. If they want to count trees (need a permit to cut one down). I will make them count the ones on the back 10a. Will make them walk and follow in the SXS to make sure it’s accurate.

Latest posts

Back