Storing Garlic

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
I have pulled up some garlic to dry out and braid , dehydrated some, and minced up some. During research on the minced, I found many that put it in oil, but that is just not a safe wayfor long term. Has anyone learned a safe way to can minced garlic. I ended up putting it in ice cube trays with a little water and freeze. . .but that won't work when we have no electricity.

What about pickled garlic? I don't think you would want to can it in oil because of the possibility of compromised seals.

Made some Beef Stroganoff for dinner last night and learned that my homemade minced garlic is a lot stronger than the normal jar kind. I already knew it, so halved for what I normally put in. We have to 1/8 th, and add if more is needed. I could keep all vampires away on the plus side!

There you go! You're all set for vampire takeover!

I love pickled garlic and okra and cauliflower and the list goes on.

Okra is now just coming in and will look forward to pickle and fry them! Cauliflower has already made there appearence, and since I only planted 9, went ahead and blanched and put up in the freezer.

Got a question for you. What would you say a fair price for a gallon sized Ziploc bag of dehydrated okra should be? I have a guy asking for that at the farmers market and I have no clue as to how to price it or if it's worth my time to mess with it. That's a heck of a lot of okra that I could be pickling for my own enjoyment.

I pickled most of our cauliflower. Did some of the Cheddar variety that a friend gave me... it just looks wrong, lol.

I have no idea how to price dehydrated items. But for a gallon sized bag!!??? That's alot girl.

Yeah, I know. The guy is a local doctor and said he'd pay, I just needed to name a price. It's a lot of okra and I don't share well, lol.

Pickled Garlic Recipe

17 fl oz (500ml) distilled malt vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 tbsp salt
2lb ( 1 kg ) fresh garlic
Put salt & Vinegar in a non corrosive pan Bring to boil, boil 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool.

Seperate the garlic cloves and blanch to remove skin

Blanch the garlic in boiling water for 1 min, drain, and place in sterilized jars. Pour in the vinegar, weigh down the garlic, then seal.

The garlic will be ready in 1 month.
Has a shelf life of 2 yrs.

Hope this helps.

pickled garlic and pickled cauliflower? I wouldn't have a clue what to do with either? Do you just eat it straight up or put it in food, cook with it or ???? I feel like such a city-gal amoungst y'all when it comes to food...I don't pickle anything except cucs, radishes, and beans. I don't like pickled radishes. Those are for hubby...I know someone said pickled eggs but I haven't gotten that far either...to me, pickles (cuc, beans, radish) are just for snacking on...

...to me, pickles (cuc, beans, radish) are just for snacking on...

You haven't lived till youve eaten pickled okra, I've never tried pickled radish but it sounds good how do you make them

I'll get the hubby's recipe. They stink to high he# when you open the container but that might just be me, lol...I grow BIG radishes...they take almost 50 days to get to size and slice them up but you can use smaller...you just get smaller slices :)

Yeah, I know. The guy is a local doctor and said he'd pay, I just needed to name a price. It's a lot of okra and I don't share well, lol.
Did you find a price? I found this

Dried Okra Chips, 2 lbs / bag
But, in all honesty, okra is so light weight and that is a lot of work to get that much. I wouldn't charge any less than $50, but that is just me. $21.80

Did you find a price? I found this

Dried Okra Chips, 2 lbs / bag
But, in all honesty, okra is so light weight and that is a lot of work to get that much. I wouldn't charge any less than $50, but that is just me. $21.80
I found on Amazon 2lbs of dried okra chips for $46.99 (a little more searching found an online place in NYC that sells 4oz dried okra for 8.99 at www.kalustyans.com)

Latest posts

Back