Stockpiling antibiotics.....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

God Like
Reaction score
http://www.askaprepper.com/how-i-got-a-260-pill-shtf-antibiotic-stockpile/

Excerpt: "Modern antibiotics are lifesavers. Without them, a simple cold can quickly turn into a deadly pneumonia, an infection in a small cut can mean the loss of a limb, and many ordinary childhood problems turn deadly. In fact, they have worked so well that we often turn to them as our first line of defense whenever an illness pops up.

But what if they were no longer available. In a crisis situation, the supply might be quickly used up, just when they are needed the most. I’ve chosen to stockpile a few different antibiotics for just this reason and I want to show you how you can do the same."

A lot of us are stocking up on fishbiotics (made in Arizona) all except the Sulfa is rotated out every 5 years, the Sulfa is every year.

Antibiotics

Penicillin 250mg - 500mg
Metronidazole 250mg - 500mg
Cephalexin 250mg - 500mg
Doxycycline 100mg
Amoxicillin 250mg - 500mg
Ciprofloxican 250mg - 500mg
Sulfa - Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprim 80mg (birdbiotic)

It's good to include antibiotics in your stash, but I think people underestimate so of the problems involved. Antibiotics are usually perscription drugs for a reason.

Doxycycline, for example, should be discarded before its expiration date. Over time, tetracycline-based antibiotics can chemically deteriorate into a chemical that will cause your kidneys to fail and either put you on dialysis or necessitate a renal transplant...neither of which seem likely post SHTF.

Other antibiotics can cause you to go deaf, and many can create drug-resistant bacteria that can infect other people.

If you guys insist on stockpiling antibiotics, get the physician's handbook of antimicrobial therapy, and study it.

Understand that there's a difference between a bacterial and a viral infection, and that antibiotics shouldn't be used for the common cold or influenza.

Remember that a course of antibiotics should be completed even if the symptoms go away and the patient feels better, as the illness can flare up in a drug resistant form if antibiotics are stopped too soon.

And so on.

If you store them, do your homework too.

They shouldn't be treated lightly.

There 6-8 prime antibiotic strains you want to keep to fend off various infections. Bear in mind, antibiotics are for bacterial infections, not viral. The key is to buy bulk fish antibiotics, provided they are the same formulation used for people. Buying for humans is heavily regulated. Buying for fish is not. ;)

It's good to include antibiotics in your stash, but I think people underestimate so of the problems involved. Antibiotics are usually perscription drugs for a reason.

Doxycycline, for example, should be discarded before its expiration date. Over time, tetracycline-based antibiotics can chemically deteriorate into a chemical that will cause your kidneys to fail and either put you on dialysis or necessitate a renal transplant...neither of which seem likely post SHTF.

Other antibiotics can cause you to go deaf, and many can create drug-resistant bacteria that can infect other people.

If you guys insist on stockpiling antibiotics, get the physician's handbook of antimicrobial therapy, and study it.

Understand that there's a difference between a bacterial and a viral infection, and that antibiotics shouldn't be used for the common cold or influenza.

Remember that a course of antibiotics should be completed even if the symptoms go away and the patient feels better, as the illness can flare up in a drug resistant form if antibiotics are stopped too soon.

And so on.

If you store them, do your homework too.

They shouldn't be treated lightly.
I agree, proper dosing of the proper antibiotics for the proper condition=good medicine.

Latest posts

Back