Stocking up on bitcoins

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. Another drawback of Bitcoin is there's virtually no way of converting it into cash instantly like an ATM. I know they have Bitcoin ATMs, but they're really, really hard to find, especially if you're in the third world.
Coinbase is getting ready to offer a debit card for bitcoin that is accepted anywhere visa is accepted.

I think that in order of SAFETY of my investment I would go

Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bitcoin
Dollar / Euro / Pound

There is nothing backing up paper currency or bitcoin, but paper currency is always collapsing somewhere because of government stupidity.

I´ve sometimes thought about investing in Titanium which is not just shiny but also super-hard. After a collapse in the economy I think this could make it valuable, more so than gold or silver.

I´ve sometimes thought about investing in Titanium which is not just shiny but also super-hard. After a collapse in the economy I think this could make it valuable, more so than gold or silver.
I’m sure titanium has many uses but just the fact that yellow gold has held such value for thousands of years makes me feel it will continue to do so no matter what. It is instantly recognizable by everyone and coveted by most. When you get down to it you can’t eat it but likely could trade it for food to someone.

I’m sure titanium has many uses but just the fact that yellow gold has held such value for thousands of years makes me feel it will continue to do so no matter what. It is instantly recognizable by everyone and coveted by most. When you get down to it you can’t eat it but likely could trade it for food to someone.

what I like about it is its valuable as a commodity like gold but you can make great tools like knives out of it as well.

Not sure we have any titanium reserves, most of it comes from russia. I have heard of gold stocks (which I dont understand) so if you invest in titanium, do so tangibly and in anounts useful for tool manufacture and aviation/aerospace. A few hundred ounces probably wont turn a profit.

cant see the point of any finance, not even coins and notes in a SHTF situation, only a fool would swap food for something they cannot use.
There will always be people who will trade many things for gold. Fools? Not necessarily. Maybe someone has an abundance of food who will trade some of it for gold. SHTF won't last forever. I'd gladly trade a beef for some gold.

Nice. I also invest in US currency and coins. Right now I'm looking at buying an 1899 $5 silver certificate, cheif note. And a $10 Bison note.
I’ve collected coins since I was a boy. Not only is it an interesting hobby but it’s pretty liquid as a savings account too. I never learned much about paper currency though. I’ve been reading more news about it though talking about it’s increased popularity. The one thing I’ve learned about collecting is it’s a better investment to go for quality over quantity. I’d rather have 10 coins that are really nice than 100 average ones.
I went to a monthly coin show just north of Atlanta yesterday. There were several paper dealers there. It’s a pretty good show with about 35 dealers each month. The best one I used to go to was the FUN show in Orlando. It was huge. You could find anything there. eBay has really changed and enriched collecting but I still like to talk with dealers and visit shows.

I´ve sometimes thought about investing in Titanium which is not just shiny but also super-hard.
That's one of it's downsides, it makes it incredibly hard to work, not something you could use in a small fabrication shop. I doubt there are many places you could sell it in the future.

Because titanium has such a high melting point, the temperatures required for this process are extremely high and it is thought that the conversion of the metal to ingots accounts for around 30% of the cost of the entire process. A lot of energy is needed and the process is labour intensive. The strength of titanium means the process is slow and once the finished product is done around 90% of the original material has been lost. When used in the aerospace industry, for example, 1kg of finished titanium has come from almost 11kg. Titanium why is it so expensive?

Pure titanium is NOT very hard, approximately 80 HRB.
Putting that into perspective, cheap Chinese knives using 420 JS steel go up to 120 on the HRB scale (55 HRC), and that is the very top of the HRB scale. High carbon heat treated steels use the HRC scale because they are off the HRB scale.
0 HRC = 81 HRB. In other words, titanium is not even on the HRC scale.
It's the alloys of titanium that get super hard. Pure titanium is very tough and corrosion resistant however.

"The cryptocurrency industry leverages a network of shady business connections, bought influencers and pay-for-play media outlets to perpetuate a cult-like 'get rich quick' funnel designed to extract new money from the financially desperate and naive,"
- Jackson Palmer, a developer who helped to create the cryptocurrency Dogecoin in 2013

Latest posts

Back