Stocking and caring for personal lakes and ponds

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you have a lake or pond you have stocked and care for? Even though we have lived here for some years, I’ve never had the urge to stock our lake. It isn’t that large, being only 2 acres or so, but they say it qualifies as a lake since it is deep. Anyway, the previous owners put in a few carp...which I hate. They are supposedly not able to reproduce. If you have any tips for stocking and making sure they multiply I would appreciate it. I would like some large mouth bass and some bluegill. We did have some algae growing around the edge for a couple of years, but my hubby bought some chemicals that took are of that problem. I originally took some of the algae to the Georgia Extension Office for advice. Did not want to poison our water! The water is nice and clear. I think it’s because there is enough new water always running in to it and water running out at the other end. The only time there has been stuff floating on the top is during the really bad pollen days.

I would go with the perch and catfish. Maybe Bass when the others are well established. It will be a great source of protein.

Have to admit I do like perch! Catfish just doesn’t thrill me, but if they are going to multiply well so when we Need protein it’s there,
perhaps I should learn to cook it so I like it. There are a few large mouth bass in the pond. Thanks for the advice Rellgar!

We have a spring fed pond on our place. I recently stocked it with blue gill, trout, shinners and catfish. Late summer the pond drops about 8 feet. The fish seem to be doing well in spite of the water level dropping. I may take the grand kids fishing there tomorrow.
I'm thinking about hiring a pond building expert next year to see if our pond can be enlarged and possibly build a couple more ponds.

GP, you'd be surprised how much ponds get stocked by nature. I'd advise you to go fishing and see what nature has put in there. Maybe try a net & see what that catches (catch/release). Fish eggs on birds' legs are fairly common.

Oh, they say catfish don't spawn unless the water is flowing. I can assure you that they WILL. Catfish are easy & rugged, and maybe others do like catfish?

Latest posts

Back