Stock Market Impact

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackDW

God Like
Reaction score
First, this is just my opinion and I am not even close to an expert. This is just what how I see things.

When the coronavirus first starting showing up, I noticed that the Stock Market continued to claim to higher and higher levels. That was when I transferred most of my investment into safer funds.

It was immediately after the report of the Russian and Saudi price war that the stock market started to plunge (along with oil prices). I commented at that time that is was curious how the oil prices seemed to start the stock market plunge and NOT the coronavirus.

Now, it appears that the stock market is on its way back up. Surely not related to the coronavirus since that is still going on and having more and more impact on the economy. But, there have been movement on the Russia/Saudi oil production issue. So, it appears that oil prices have a MUCH stronger influence on the stock market that any impact from the Coronavirus.

Just something that I noticed and wanted to point out. I may be totally "off base" but so far, this seems to be the pattern.

I feel both contribute, but the general public is much more concerned about the virus than the price of crude oil. I put in an order to buy, half my little bank roll a week ago, over the weekend and the other half on the next day, Monday night, when the DJIA jumped up 1600 points. I consider this a "once in a lifetime opportunity." I've been doing very well. I am up 18% in 5 and a half days. I feel confident that the economy will be back to normal a year from now at the most. When the stocks I've picked reach where they normally ran in the past, I'll be up 170% above where I started. I have "stops" in Ameritrade to keep from losing it all in a sudden down turn, so I'm not worried. I certainly am no financial expert, so take this all with a grain of salt, but here is what I bought. HT, KSS, JACK, OXY, R, BUD, UA, AAL, DAL, SIX I guess it depends on whether you think this is the new normal, or just one of lifes' tougher times. I believe we'll get through it without falling into a depression.

Trading stocks is akin to gambling. In the tumultuous times we are in its way too risky for me. Luckily I parked 90% of my retirement savings into a holding account at the start of this mess. The remainder is in a low risk mutual fund that is down but not terribly. I don’t expect we are at the bottom just now. The stimulus helped prop up the markets, but it was a bandaid at best. When we reopen the world and see how many of the 40 some odd % of small businesses that don’t open back up we will see where we are economically.

My own knowledge of FINANCE and INVESTMENTS is limited, All I know is that regarding my modest savings is if INFLATION is LOWER than the INTEREST RATE that good and leave well alone. BUT if Inflation is HIGHER than Interest rates then your money is becoming less valuable being left in the bank and is better off being spent.

My own knowledge of FINANCE and INVESTMENTS is limited, All I know is that regarding my modest savings is if INFLATION is LOWER than the INTEREST RATE that good and leave well alone. BUT if Inflation is HIGHER than Interest rates then your money is becoming less valuable being left in the bank and is better off being spent.
Well said. The value of most currencies will likely drop as more businesses close. This is one of the things that motivated me to go ahead with gathering the solar components for my house here. I’ve read about too many countries with terrible inflation and cash that’s worthless. I’m certainly not recommending spending your life’s savings, but diversifying some of it into some tangible things makes sense to me right now.

Trading stocks is akin to gambling. In the tumultuous times we are in its way too risky for me. Luckily I parked 90% of my retirement savings into a holding account at the start of this mess. The remainder is in a low risk mutual fund that is down but not terribly. I don’t expect we are at the bottom just now. The stimulus helped prop up the markets, but it was a bandaid at best. When we reopen the world and see how many of the 40 some odd % of small businesses that don’t open back up we will see where we are economically.
To clarify the statement above, the total number of all businesses in the US is made up of 40% + of small businesses. It’s a huge part of the overall economic engine driving the economy.

This is not my 401K that I'm toying with, just a fund that was earmarked for some home remodeling projects that we can live without. Irregardless, I don't think I can lose it, as I go in every couple days and adjust my "market stop to sell" order so that if the price drops off on any of these stocks more than a couple percent, it automatically sells. But who knows, I'm new at this. Six months will tell. Would like it to produce enough before I retire in a couple years, to pay for half of a new pickup truck.

Well said. The value of most currencies will likely drop as more businesses close. This is one of the things that motivated me to go ahead with gathering the solar components for my house here. I’ve read about too many countries with terrible inflation and cash that’s worthless. I’m certainly not recommending spending your life’s savings, but diversifying some of it into some tangible things makes sense to me right now.

Can you share what you used to put together your solar system and how much power it has?

This is not my 401K that I'm toying with, just a fund that was earmarked for some home remodeling projects that we can live without. Irregardless, I don't think I can lose it, as I go in every couple days and adjust my "market stop to sell" order so that if the price drops off on any of these stocks more than a couple percent, it automatically sells. But who knows, I'm new at this. Six months will tell. Would like it to produce enough before I retire in a couple years, to pay for half of a new pickup truck.
There is no doubt money can be made even now in the stock market. I have considered buying on the days it drops and selling in the upswings. Just know that right now with all the volatility it isn’t wise to risk any monies that you couldn’t live without.
A few years back I did some day trading and made several trades that made better than a grand each. I was thinking this is too easy and I should quit my job before long. Well, I then bought Bethlehem Steel. It was coming out of restructuring and was supposed to do great. Short story is it didn’t do well and tanked.... I actually only lost close to everything I had gained so far but it taught me a valuable lesson. It isn’t much different than rolling dice in Vegas. There have been many millionaires made in the market, but many paupers too.

Can you share what you used to put together your solar system and how much power it has?
Glad to hear from you GP. Hope your feeling better. So far I have only ordered the panels. It was 20pcs of 250w panels. I am still working on research for the batteries, charge controller and inverter. I found the panels for 2500. On eBay which included shipping. I will post as I go further with this project. I expect to spend another 3000. But that all depends on the choices. I am doing a 5000w system to run my fridge, freezer and some light circuits. I can run more than this but wanted to have some leeway. Of course any system is expandable too. One of the things I’ve leaned about solar is when you are using it you look at power usage a lot closer than when you’re on the grid. Adjusting your usage is a lot cheaper than increasing your system.

Glad to hear from you GP. Hope your feeling better. So far I have only ordered the panels. It was 20pcs of 250w panels. I am still working on research for the batteries, charge controller and inverter. I found the panels for 2500. On eBay which included shipping. I will post as I go further with this project. I expect to spend another 3000. But that all depends on the choices. I am doing a 5000w system to run my fridge, freezer and some light circuits. I can run more than this but wanted to have some leeway. Of course any system is expandable too. One of the things I’ve leaned about solar is when you are using it you look at power usage a lot closer than when you’re on the grid. Adjusting your usage is a lot cheaper than increasing your system.

Sage advice as usual Brent! Thanks for sharing. I am doing better, thankfully. Still very tired.

Latest posts

Back