Steam Powered Electrical Generator and other motors

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I was curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on the effective use of steam power in the setting of prolonged loss of access to fossil fuels and grid produced electricitiy. Living in the northwest my access to wood fuel is good even when other fuels may not be available, but I can't find an electrical generator that gives me the option of driving it with different types of motors. I have found some steam engines, but they are principally for small boats and would need some adaption.

My ideal would be a steam engine that generates 5 to 20 hp, weighs under 500 pounds when not loaded with fuel or water and turns a horizontal shaft to which a pully and belt mechanism is attached and therefore could be used to power an irrigation pump, hydraulic motor, or electrical generator.

To be honest, I have no earthly idea how you would do that. I'm sure there are a few on here that would be able to give you some informed opinions on it.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum.

I was curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on the effective use of steam power in the setting of prolonged loss of access to fossil fuels and grid produced electricitiy. Living in the northwest my access to wood fuel is good even when other fuels may not be available, but I can't find an electrical generator that gives me the option of driving it with different types of motors. I have found some steam engines, but they are principally for small boats and would need some adaption.

My ideal would be a steam engine that generates 5 to 20 hp, weighs under 500 pounds when not loaded with fuel or water and turns a horizontal shaft to which a pully and belt mechanism is attached and therefore could be used to power an irrigation pump, hydraulic motor, or electrical generator.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Should you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to ask. The members on here are more than willing to help!
We have had a lot of discussions on solar power on this site, but not too many, if any, about steam power!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Latest posts

Back