Starvation...the cost of not storing food.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if I had ZERO stored food, we'd be ok. If it happened now, vs. 5 years from now, a little worse, but we wouldn't starve.

Chickens give eggs each day. We could breed the rabbits. You can't walk a 100 feet here without finding frogs, birds, or snakes, and plenty of places to fish within walking or riding (horse) distance. Not to mention, post SHTF, lots of derelict farms nearby, including orchards. If 5 years from now, we'd have our own fruit trees, and our garden should be at peak production.

We also see wild boar, wild rabbits, and occasionally a deer, so..

even if i hadn't started stocking up on foods..and only go with what i normally buy and stock up on,for the month..chances are id have enough for 1 1/2 to 2 months of food..that's dry/refrigerated/ and frozen foods alike.and ate it at least,somewhat sparingly..but water would be a issue if there was no running water,in that situation.on account i wouldn't of stocked up on water.

even if i hadn't started stocking up on foods..and only go with what i normally buy and stock up on,for the month..chances are id have enough for 1 1/2 to 2 months of food..that's dry/refrigerated/ and frozen foods alike.and ate it at least,somewhat sparingly..but water would be a issue if there was no running water,in that situation.on account i wouldn't of stocked up on water.
I'm pretty good with food, and luckily have two running creeks on the property. The bad part is if everyone around is hungry, you're going to need a 24/7 security force to protect what you have.

we have 1 running creek and 3 ponds..but all 4 is contaminated from life stock and wildlife...

we have 1 running creek and 3 ponds..but all 4 is contaminated from life stock and wildlife...
It dosent matter if it's contaminated, it's still water, and can be made safe to drink. I'd start working out ways to purify it now. Even the clear creeks I have wouldn't be safe to drink without filtering. Distillation is the purest, but even filtering and boiling will work.

The bad part is if everyone around is hungry, you're going to need a 24/7 security force to protect what you have.

Yep, someone (or a few someones) always have to be on sentry duty. Hopefully, we'd have more to our group, come SHTF, than just our household. Any one person would have only 4 hours of sentry duty (after sleep time), so they'd be fresh and alert. Then 8 hours of other duty (like foraging, hunting, gardening, cleaning, repairing, building, etc.). Then 4 hours for any leisure activities. Seems like a pretty good division of a 24 hour day (post SHTF). (includes 8 hours for sleep)

Last edited:
Yep, someone (or a few someones) always have to be on sentry duty. Hopefully, we'd have more to our group, come SHTF, than just our household. Any one person would have only 4 hours of sentry duty (after sleep time), so they'd be fresh and alert. Then 8 hours of other duty (like foraging, hunting, gardening, cleaning, repairing, building, etc.). Then 4 hours for any leisure activities. Seems like a pretty good division of a 24 hour day (post SHTF).
Team work is the only way any of us will be able to maintain some sense of security.

Latest posts

Back