Starting underground bunker build

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApplachianbunkerTN

Reaction score
Inheriting some land in Appalachian Mountains in TN, nice and secluded about 500ft drive up a steep mountain to get to wear the property plateau’s out, at the mid back end of property, Grandfather closed of and buried entrance to abandoned mine shaft, he said the mine shaft is about 50 to 60 feet to the bottom and there are tunnels and cave systems connecting for miles, want to dig it out and start my dream of a underground bunker and escape from people, have extensive knowledge on concrete mixtures and laying, but am a precision machinist by trade. So would like some basic knowledge on fortifying tunnels and access points for stability, plan on hiring a mining expert help navigate some of the dangers of reopening and exploring. Any extra tips and knowledge of doing underground dwellings is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I’ve been machining for 8 years, 6 years as a medical machinist making hip replacements working with primarily Mazak 7-axis Mill and Lathe combo , during those 6 years, I took 3 years of night classes in blacksmithing and for the past 3 years have been taking night classes at a local gunsmithing school. Currently applying for an FFL and acquiring some affordable CNC machines. Start producing some fun tools. On another note as too the mountain property I was shipped of their to my grandparents every summer growing up so I know the area very well, hunting paths etc….., Grandparents started a nice 2 acre vegetable farm on the property and my Grandfather built his own house at well above code and standard, man was a true perfectionist and a little crazy, too elaborate the foundation of the house was constructed with highway road dividers and anchored to the bedrock beneath. They were afraid the family would just sale their property off and assured them I would never let that happen. So they left the whole thing too me. I’m sad there gone and still coping but am excited to continue development of this self sustaining mountain getaway.

Inheriting some land in Appalachian Mountains in TN, nice and secluded about 500ft drive up a steep mountain to get to wear the property plateau’s out, at the mid back end of property, Grandfather closed of and buried entrance to abandoned mine shaft, he said the mine shaft is about 50 to 60 feet to the bottom and there are tunnels and cave systems connecting for miles, want to dig it out and start my dream of a underground bunker and escape from people, have extensive knowledge on concrete mixtures and laying, but am a precision machinist by trade. So would like some basic knowledge on fortifying tunnels and access points for stability, plan on hiring a mining expert help navigate some of the dangers of reopening and exploring. Any extra tips and knowledge of doing underground dwellings is much appreciated.
If your grandfather sealed it off, he likely had a very good reason to do so. It is probably unsafe, be careful.

Be sure and get a good gas sniffer before going too deep in the old mine. If you hire a mining expert he will know the best way to shore up the tunnels. I'm guessing with timbers and rock bolts for starters. There's probably stopes in the mine that will be big enough to build a dwelling in.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

I’ve been machining for 8 years, 6 years as a medical machinist making hip replacements working with primarily Mazak 7-axis Mill and Lathe combo , during those 6 years, I took 3 years of night classes in blacksmithing and for the past 3 years have been taking night classes at a local gunsmithing school. Currently applying for an FFL and acquiring some affordable CNC machines. Start producing some fun tools. On another note as too the mountain property I was shipped of their to my grandparents every summer growing up so I know the area very well, hunting paths etc….., Grandparents started a nice 2 acre vegetable farm on the property and my Grandfather built his own house at well above code and standard, man was a true perfectionist and a little crazy, too elaborate the foundation of the house was constructed with highway road dividers and anchored to the bedrock beneath. They were afraid the family would just sale their property off and assured them I would never let that happen. So they left the whole thing too me. I’m sad there gone and still coping but am excited to continue development of this self sustaining mountain getaway.

I was a machinist myself. Did just shy of 30 years before I retired.
I made flight hardware for the NASA Shuttle program,the first F-22 Raptor prototype,as well as some medical devices.
I actually miss it but not enough to come out of retirement. I considered buying some machines for home use like a bridgeport and a decent lathe preferably a Clausing but I figured it just wasn't worth the cost in the end considering I still have buddies who work in machine shops that dont mind doing a side job for me if needed.
And of course if the power goes down they're worthless. And the tooling prices have gone through the roof.
I still have all of my inspection tools and a really nice Gerstner tool box that ran me 3k for the top box and riser. I'll never sell it it's just too damn nice to part with.
Good luck on your bunker it's a great opportunity that most will never have.

I was a machinist myself. Did just shy of 30 years before I retired.
I made flight hardware for the NASA Shuttle program,the first F-22 Raptor prototype,as well as some medical devices.
I actually miss it but not enough to come out of retirement. I considered buying some machines for home use like a bridgeport and a decent lathe preferably a Clausing but I figured it just wasn't worth the cost in the end considering I still have buddies who work in machine shops that dont mind doing a side job for me if needed.
And of course if the power goes down they're worthless. And the tooling prices have gone through the roof.
I still have all of my inspection tools and a really nice Gerstner tool box that ran me 3k for the top box and riser. I'll never sell it it's just too damn nice to part with.
Good luck on your bunker it's a great opportunity that most will never have.
Years ago my wife contacted Gerstner and had them custom build me a box out of walnut with brass hardware. I use it mostly for storing knives and sharpners. I'll never let it go.

Years ago my wife contacted Gerstner and had them custom build me a box out of walnut with brass hardware. I use it mostly for storing knives and sharpners. I'll never let it go.

Mines quarter cut Oak.
I had em install the clock in the drawer face where you put your Machinist Handbook.
The Wife still gives me crap about it being my Man jewelry box.

I am jealous....I want a cave!

First of all, welcome to the forum.

We got some caves over here, but we are no mining area. For exploring - don´t go alone, get the best climbing and safety gear you can get. Do some safe boulder and climbing training before entering the mine shaft.

And mate, watch your head!

I´m looking forward to read more of that adventure!

It's getting real guys.
It indeed is getting real . Some in the prepper arena foresaw this happening decades ago and started preparing for the time we are now entering . Some simply didn't have the ability to foresee this coming and are just now realizing what is on the horizon . The third group still can not realize what is happening and continue to mock those that have so hard tried to warn them for years .

--- " After posting my above post , went browsing for prepper information and clicked on the link above . I know most will not believe this , but apparently " Patara " and I received the same message and like her am trying to broadcast the message .

I love her. My husband can't stand listening to her because he says she whines, but I think she's funny.

Latest posts

Back