Starting all over... what's first?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am basically starting all over again with prepping and need some advice.

What do you think are the most important things to start with?

I have some home-canned food (as well as some store-bought). We have a spring on our property, in fact it's what we've always used for water, so that isn't a worry. WE also have a stream down over the hill from our house, maybe a 2 minute walk away from the house.

Finances are tight, so money is definitely an issue for trying to prep and I would love to hear any and all suggestions and feedback about prepping basically from the start and doing so on not much money.

Well if you're staying put you need food and water, you got a good start on that. Add a little each time you go to the market, I know prices are high, but they are only getting higher. You're going to need something to defend yourselves, your home, and your supplies.

With finances being tight, have you considered selling any of your work on Etsy? Might be a way to bring in a little extra to put towards your preps. You know the drill of store what you eat and eat what you store as well, so keep things rotated. Keep yourselves in good health.

you mentioned a stream.(if yall havent already) run plumbing from it to at least 1 location in your home,(away from windows) and have someway of pumping it into your home without haveing to outside to do that..that way no one has to go outside if there's a danger of doing that..firearms.choose the one yall are comfortable with and shoot a good distance.that is if yall be ok with firearms.a 10/22 lr was mentioned in a diff topic.might want to look into that when it comes to price..

Hi "Mainly4knitting"-
I'd start with heirloom seeds...that will guarantee your family a food source for years to come. Next would be canning supplies: pressure canner, hot water bath canner, jars and lids. All of these canning supplies can be bought at yard sales or a Habitat Store. I have bought many boxes of new lids and rings at yard sales for .25 a box! Next, I'd look to assure my heat source, a woodstove, an axe and a chainsaw would certainly put you in a good position. When money is thin, spend your extra time cutting, splitting, and stacking your wood. It will be time well spent when you are warming your bum for free! I'd also spend some quality time with a shovel and make yourself a great food storage, for free....old dead freezers or refrigerators can be layed down flat and buried in the ground. Before we had a root cellar, this was our year-round food storage! We stacked straw bales on the lids for insulation. Potatoes, carrots, beets, cabbage, all your root veggies will keep in here for months at a time....at NO cost! I know Maine has a pluthera of deer; what are the chances you can take down one of them?? Then can 'em! I can almost all our meat...keeps forever, tastes fabulous, (canned, you won't be able to tell it in venison) and I don't have to give a hoot what the electrical grid does!
Just a few "low cost" prepper suggestions!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

You'd need food and water, you have a good start so far. Try to add some each time you go to the market but before hitting the big markets which well be even more expensive check around for yard sales or a Habitat Store not many people think of dollar stores but you can buy alot of cheap stuff there.

If ok with firearms look into guns that can shoot a good distance if not than check around for other hand held weapons. You can just about make any type of self defense weapon now adays.

about knives our resident expert Roninsensei is the go to man here,we have others too,
with melee weapons,well good to havee but you need to know "how to" with them too for max effectivness.
on guns,we we have several who knows a tad bit more than me,so I'll leave it to them, on the other hand if you need advice in operating a mortar squad I'm glad to help.

Shelter; Water; Fire/Warmth; Food; Security. You can debate the order until the cows come home, but IMHO this is the correct order of priority. Work on each category until you feel you and your family will be safe; then move on to the next.

you need water stored no matter what your current water supply entails >>> 2 weeks worth minimum ...

sounds like you need some dry goods food for long term storage - rice & beans might not be mouth watering but it'll be welcome in a crunch ...

you need water stored no matter what your current water supply entails >>> 2 weeks worth minimum ...

sounds like you need some dry goods food for long term storage - rice & beans might not be mouth watering but it'll be welcome in a crunch ...
Hey my red beans and rice are mouth watering..

Riden, is that you from TPG?

Everyone else, we have a newbie that responded to a 7 year old thread...

For the rest of the gang here, Riden is a fellow gentle soul of a prepper here in Texas. Knowledgeable & experienced. At least not a ghost as we're seeing in other posts.

Water is key...the plus is that you've got a near by spring. Consider building a ram pump. Lots of you tube videos that can step you through the build, the cost is small.
Next is a water purification system. Avoid filtration. Suggest a Berky style gravity system. Their black filters are pricy, but maintaining ones health is priceless.
Speaking on the subject of health, after we've reviewed the journals concerning teflon, we chucked everything teflon years ago and will only use stainless, or cast iron

Latest posts

Back