Special Needs family members

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sally Palmer

Reaction score
My Mom is a type 1 diabetic, my Father has Alzheimer's, my uncle who lives with my parents is special needs (mentally handicapped, but can talk, walk, feed himself, take care of his own hygiene, and loves anything architecture!) My daughter who will be 5 soon, is special needs she has hydrocephalus, which is fluid on the brain and has had 3 nuerosugeries before she was 3 months old, she has a shunt, one of her surgeries was to place the shunt at a week old. Her shunt has worked beautifully and never has had any issues. However, that being said she may need multiple nuerosugeries in her lifetime. She is also epileptic, she has anti seizure medications that work really well and she doesn't have any major seizures while on the medication. She sometimes has one or two mini seizures that last about a half minute. Her other two nuerosugeries were for her encephalocele that was caused by her hydrocephalus. She is currently in preschool, she walks (started about a year ago), she doesn't talk yet. My husband and I are both relatively healthy. I do have a thyroid issue, and he has somewhat higher cholesterol, but his is genetic. A friend of mine whose daughter also has seizures, suggested having CBD oil. I'm sure I could stock up on that as well as learn to grow it. My Mother taught me how to garden from a young age. I know that diabetics used to get their insulin from pig pancreas, when my Mom was first diagnosed that's what was used. I know that insulin can be stored for 6 months. My Uncle who is special needs is actually really healthy, I think the only medication he is on is anxiety medication. I do have a sister who doesn't have any children, she is married. My question is how do I prepare for all of my family members? Can I?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Best examples I can think of is . Look at Families that have grown up on Farms since the Pioneer days . They had special needs Family Members that they loved and took care of . I could give you lots of examples from just growing up here in the Mid South during the 60's and 70's and still Families taking care of there special needs Folks today .

I have two sisters with pretty complex special needs so it's something I think about a lot. Part of it comes down to knowing as much about how to take care of them as possible - don't just leave it to the doctors and do what they say, but ask questions and understand what's going on. If they need medications, what are those, and what are they actually doing for them? What might possible alternatives be? Are there some simple procedures that I could learn to assist them with if needed? For example, my sister has a g-button feeding tube, and at first they would take her back to the doctor's office to change out the button (every 3 months or so?) but my mom insisted on learning how to do it so she could better take care of her.

You can only really prepare short term for many conditions, unfortunately nature is going to take it's course if SHTF goes beyond the supply of meds. Even though we like to keep things positive when dealing with family members medical needs but at the same time we shouldn't lose sight of reality and it is going to suck. The best that can be done once the meds are no longer obtainable is make things as comfortable for them as possible and make peace with yourself and don't dwell on what you can't control.

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but this is something that can't be sugar coated

Latest posts

Back