South East Ohio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great maybe we can all do something maybe a small meet and greet to start a network of like minded people. It is needed in this area. I have just got my neighbor to start prepping and it would be nice to have others, that can assist in a Bug Out Situation.

My wifes family is from sandusky, and after the military, I want to move to ohio. Not sandusky, but down in the Newark Area. I am wondering if anyone knows what this area is like. Economics, Demographics, etc. I like the hills, not the flats...

I grew up near Lancaster which is south of Newark. I don't know too much about the city itself but it is pretty flat there. Got some roll to the ground so it's not as flat as Oklahoma but it is flat enough that my tornado fear would keep me from it. Of course, I'm used to the big rolling hills of Appalachia. Of course the further into the hills you go the fewer jobs you will probably find, depending on your field. I'm hoping that when I get out of college and get a real job I can maybe get property around Logan, Ohio. Not a ton of jobs there but the Hocking Hills are pretty famous around here for the big pretty wooded hills (and property that is thoroughly wooded...good for a prepper). However, Logan and the Hocking Hills are close enough that you could commute to places that have jobs and most that live there do. (It would be a longer commute though)
There should be plenty of jobs there though since it's much closer to the bigger job centers.

I'm between Zanesville and Newark in the country.But if I had to choose one of the two to live in,it would be Newark.Decent small city with a good bit of industry,clean town,only a couple small "bad areas" compared to Zanesville.If you really want out in the hills,Altani is spot on with the Hocking Hills area,beautiful area,mostly rural yet good access to Lancaster and Columbus as well.

Priority 1: JOB
Priority 2: Location
Priority 3: Individual Sustainability

These are my main three priorities if I decide to call it quits and move to Ohio. I'm not a farmer, so I don't know about #3. I can google it but sometime's its better to talk to people who know rather than books or some other form of material... I want to grow apples lol

Rural Lancaster or rural Newark areas would be my choice.I'm assuming by your username that you are in some area of the medical field?Both areas have good access to Columbus which all 3 have lots of major medical facilities and the osu hospital/campus area is one of the largest in the country.There is also lots of rural area around if you don't mind a bit of a drive to work.Columbus would be the strongest economic city,but I wouldn't want to live in or near that hell hole.

I'm in the medical field by Army Trade. I couldn't do it in the civilian sector, no way... So I would have to go to college, and try to get a job that can't/won't get laid off. I know there are some small schools in that newark/zanesville area, but I think out in the smaller hills to the east would be too far for me to live and to commute to work everyday on the GI Bill stipend, so i would need to work. Got to school during the day, drive to work in the afternoon, make it home at night. like a boomerang, lol

I agree with sharkbait. There are more jobs in the Columbus area but I wouldn't want to live there. I don't even like to drive there and try not to if I can help it. Columbus has major medical facilities but if you don't mind smaller medical facilities, Lancaster and even Logan (much smaller and not a great hospital but an aging population if hospital is not where you want to be.) has hospitals. I wouldn't suggest Athens area where I live because there are no jobs and so much poverty/bad housing. Love the area and most of the people but the housing and jobs suck. It's only good if you can work for a university or want to go to college here. There are lots of little towns close to that area that could work too like Baltimore or maybe even Thornville.
The good news is you should be able to grow apples pretty much everywhere here. I know a good orchard that makes a living on apples and cider just east of Lancaster. Stuff tends to grow easy in Ohio.
Perhaps if you get the chance, a road trip may be in order? Seeing and getting a feel for the area could be helpful. You may just find that place that you fall in love with.

Sorry, just read your post came up just as I posted mine. What are you wanting to go to school for? That's an area I can really help with since I am in college and am an nontraditional working student.

Hmmm (squinting eyes, arms folded, rubbing chin hairs...) you have a good idea. I am going to be in Ohio next month. I could go to newark on my way up to Sandusky, or after I make it to Sandusky. I like your idea!

I don't know. I was thinking political science but I don't know how to get a job after I get a diploma. I'm not sure, actually.

Woohoo road trip! Not to discourage but it is very hard to find a job in political science, as is true with pretty much all the social sciences. (I'm about to have a degree in Anthropology which I cannot get a job for, forcing me now to go get a masters in Social Work because there are TONS of jobs there.) Sociology will sometimes get jobs in the social work area too. I suggest, as you look for jobs, check out monster.com and other websites like that to see what kind of jobs you can get with the degree. I wish I had done that but I was so sure that I was gonna get a PhD and work for a college. Then I realized that my field was not as 'world changing' as I thought it would be and academia is not what I thought. What schools were you thinking or were you still unsure? It looks like there are lots of schools in Ohio but really there are only a few and a lot of them are branches of a main campus. Branches will be VERY limited in classes and degrees you can get at just that campus. They are cheeper though and have smaller classes. Were you looking at Ohio University Zanesville? I am at Ohio University the main branch in Athens. I started out at Columbus State Community College to save some dough and it was really crappy in my opinion (did it online though and some who have went on campus that I know say it's good there but it's downtown Columbus.) Feel free to send me some PMs if you have questions about financial aid, colleges and stuff. I like researching that kind of stuff and helping.

Latest posts

Back