Something else to ponder on

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This possibility is an "old story".
If you know anything about the Carrington Event (look it up), it is not a question of "if", but "when" an emission large enough to burn out integrated circuits will be "aimed" at the earth.
Very powerful, potentially damaging emissions occur so often, they are a "non-event", as they are not "aimed" at the earth.
When such an emission IS "aimed" at the earth, anything with an integrated circuit which is not in a Farrady cage or deep underground will be fried. That almost certainly will mean the end of reticulated power, water, sewerage and gas services for at least months, if not years.

That could next happen tomorrow, next week, next month or millennia from now. No one knows.

CME is like the E3 component of an EMP. Low frequency that only affects long circuits.(requires a long antenna)
Are you saying it will NOT affect integrated circuits?
I have never read that.
The Carrington Event did not affect integrated circuits as there were none in 1859.

Are you saying it will NOT affect integrated circuits?
I have never read that.
The Carrington Event did not affect integrated circuits as there were none in 1859.
Not that it can't, but the earth's magnetic field shields us from all but the lowest frequencies.
High orbit satellites, such as those in geosychronous orbit, are exposed enough for their circuits to be damaged.
Read this NASA article for more info:
https://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/spaceweather.htm

Not that it can't, but the earth's magnetic field shields us from all but the lowest frequencies.
High orbit satellites, such as those in geosychronous orbit, are exposed enough for their circuits to be damaged.
Read this NASA article for more info:
https://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/spaceweather.htm
I read the article you linked.
It says the earth is protected (to a great degree) by the magnetosphere, but it did not state categorically that there is no damage to short "antennas", e.g. integrated circuits. My understanding from reports about potential EMP issues are that they are susceptible. (But I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.)

It says the earth is protected (to a great degree) by the magnetosphere, but it did not state categorically that there is no damage to short "antennas", e.g. integrated circuits. My understanding from reports about potential EMP issues are that they are susceptible. (But I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.)
if you follow radio propagation you will see the lines of magnetic resonance are changing!!!

Well obviously they can be affected, but so far we've only seen that happen to satellites in high orbit. Low orbit satellites and the space station weren't affected. Possibly a large enough CME could overcome the shielding from the earth's magnetic field.

Latest posts

Back