Solar

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im in a university for Sustainable Energy Technology, and only have about 3 months till I graduate with dang near all A's (2 B's)
Way to go on being so close to getting done! I know you have been at it for some time.
I too went back to school in an effort to stay employed..... I have about a year left......

hey, a lot of you people are going, or thinking about solar. the industry interested me for obvious reasons (lol after all, im on this site) so im in a university for Sustainable Energy Technology, and only have about 3 months till I graduate with dang near all A's (2 B's), soooo if anyone needs some advice about solar, please feel free to ask. oh.....and btw....if you're thinking about going through a company, DONT in house finance through them, most times they rip you off.
I have been using some solar products by a company called Goal Zero. Unfortunately my association forbids panels on the roof since it is a condo complex with a common roof.

I have been using some solar products by a company called Goal Zero. Unfortunately my association forbids panels on the roof since it is a condo complex with a common roof.
you can always talk your neighbor into a shared lease etc, do that n your HOA cant say shit :)

Way to go on being so close to getting done! I know you have been at it for some time.
I too went back to school in an effort to stay employed..... I have about a year left......
Thank you and congratz to yourself too!!!!!

In what the University of New South Wales described as a world first, the researchers were able to convert more than 40 percent of sunlight hitting the panels into electricity. I couldn't get this iPad to attach the link, but I read this on yahoo news today. Pretty cool info. Solar is coming, just not as fast as I or the environment would like.

If the panel has enough cells in series maybe...gonna be one BIG panel. But what on earth would you do with 1000 volts?
Installations that are used to generate electricity for large buildings often operate at medium voltage in order to make the production of 480/277 volt three phase AC power more efficient.

Tommy

Found out this morning that my state is one of FIVE that doesn't allow you to purchase electricity from solar companies (have to be monopolized, standing utility companies). There's a PAC trying to change it, so hope they succeed, but Duke and Progress energy have basically bought and paid for every high-ranking politician there is in this state. (including our despised, yet re-elected governor).

Oddly ironic that the "sunshine state" is so anti-solar.....

And speaking of coruption, I'm looking to buy some NiFe (Nickle Iron) batteries, they were designed by Edison and some of his are still working, they last forever pretty much and don't care about fancy charging regimes or anything.

So why aren't we all using NiFe batteries you may ask, given that other types shit themselves in a few years. Apparently Exide bought the patent and shelved it.

They are now becoming available, dunno why but maybe the patent expired, or it's the Chinese who don't give a rat's about patents.

Looks like they are about 3x the cost of LA/AGM batteries, that makes them hard to buy up front but over all OK and they have other features that are good.

Of course if you move house every 7 years (as per the average) then long life is not a huge plus :), but one of the arguments against batteries/solar on prepper forums is that they don't last and then where are you, these get around that argument.

but one of the arguments against batteries/solar on prepper forums is that they don't last and then where are you, these get around that argument.

Yep, valid point, and great solution to the problem!

We have thought about going solar but like you said some companies are a rip off! I asked for consultation for our house and they said would cost 40 K and we would still be tied to the grid! I don't get that. Also concerned that our winters go with many days of cloudy, doom gloom weather and we would not be able to juice up.
I am more concerned about power loss due to weather and thought solar would be a good back up, however my hubby thinks home generator will be our best bet,

Any suggestions? Oh we moved from southern Ca last yr. our oldest son got solar on his house tied to grid but still has payment for solar install and few dollars to electric company a month. Also do you know about the Hearp program?

We have thought about going solar but like you said some companies are a rip off! I asked for consultation for our house and they said would cost 40 K and we would still be tied to the grid! I don't get that. Also concerned that our winters go with many days of cloudy, doom gloom weather and we would not be able to juice up.
I am more concerned about power loss due to weather and thought solar would be a good back up, however my hubby thinks home generator will be our best bet,

Any suggestions? Oh we moved from southern Ca last yr. our oldest son got solar on his house tied to grid but still has payment for solar install and few dollars to electric company a month. Also do you know about the Hearp program?
I've been looking at solar for a while now. It's still so expensive to get well set up that it's not really practicle. Between paying for the solar to produce juice and the batteries for storage, you can pay the electric company less. I think it's comming, but the price just isn't there yet. There are instances where it's worth it, like if you're really remote without access to power. With adjustments to your life style, it can be done, just not for the average modern American house.
I am currently working on converting my gasoline generator over to propane. It just makes more economic sense, even if it is only a temporary fix for short term power outages. If shtf, then a major lifestyle change is needed anyways. I'm converting to propane not just for the generator, but a backup space heater in the house and an outdoor kitchen too. We have talked about the benefits of propane over gasoline on other threads here. One of the best is it dosent go bad, as its allready 10's of thousands years old. Gasoline will last a year at best.
On another note, moving from s.cali to Michigan, I bet your first winter was a little bit of a culture shock!

As some said, I don't think the price is there yet for solar to be viable.

however my hubby thinks home generator will be our best bet,

I've come to the same realization. A propane tank with a home propane generator appears to be the best option both financially, and power-wise, for emergency backup. You could basically operate just as nothing had ever happened in an emergency, and in a SHTF situation, could always scavenge for propane, and ration the usage.

I too am thinking that propane is a good option. We've been cooking with it for years but I've been trying to come up with a method to ditch it entirely. We can cook on the wood stove but in summer that's a pain, we've experimented with induction cookers and they work well but do draw a lot from the solar, still a possibility though.

But propane is just the best method and unlike other fuels it lasts forever. We currently use about 40kgs of propane a year, now that the wood stove is up and running and I plan to build a solar oven that will reduce, let's say to 20kgs or maybe less. At my age I could probably just go out and buy enough propane to see me out, convert the gennys to it and that part of prepping is totally sorted for maybe $2000, sounds OK to me.

That's just it. It's cheap. It's reliable. It lasts forever. It doesn't require constant replacing of batteries or solar cells, etc. There's a reason it's been a reliable backup for decades.

I live in a travel trailer and have a 72 watt solar system connected to the batteries. It works very well for the lights, utilizing the slide outs and keeping the batteries charged. I use grid power for fridge, microwave and water heater, though I could use propane as well. I guess you need to figure out what you really need to run off electricity once the grid goes away. as a temporary measure, I know both solar, and propane are viable options. I have a friend who has a propane generator connected as a back up to his house and had to use it for 2 weeks this past winter. Batteries do seem to be the week point to solar system. Does anyone know of direct solar to electricity system to get around the batteries?

Does anyone know of direct solar to electricity system to get around the batteries?

Only if you like being without power when the sun isn't up.... ;)
Kind of the point of the batteries (power when the sun isn't available)......

... Does anyone know of direct solar to electricity system to get around the batteries?
A normal system with no batteries will do this (IE just panels and inverter and probably a regulator), but as Gazrok says it's a no go when there's no sun (or not enough sun), which even on a good day could be 18-19 hours depending on the season.

And also you couldn't draw a lot of power, enough for most things if you have several panels but forget the microwave.

Latest posts

Back