Solar power

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMamaBear

Reaction score
Maybe this thread has been posted before, but I didn't see what I was looking for while I perused the titles. Here are my questions: Is it more financially sound to invest in the solar array installation now, even if we don't use it right away or just the equipment to put it up later? Are there any ways to get deals on them? And does anyone have any wind turbine and solar powered systems working in tandem?

Maybe this thread has been posted before, but I didn't see what I was looking for while I perused the titles. Here are my questions: Is it more financially sound to invest in the solar array installation now, even if we don't use it right away or just the equipment to put it up later? Are there any ways to get deals on them? And does anyone have any wind turbine and solar powered systems working in tandem?
One of the advantages of buying solar now is that you can take advantage of the 30% Fed tax credits. Even if you just buy the equipment now and install it at a later date. Your state may have additional tax incentives too. These tax breaks include anything to do with your system; backup generator, electrician, excavation, solar mounts, conduit, wiring, concrete, labor, etc. I've been deducting my solar costs for 2 years now.
For me my solar electric system has been a great investment.

Thanks MadMamaBear for starting this conversation. I will be moving to my "retirement" home sometime next year and I have been thinking about the same plan. I want to install a hybrid Solar/Wind Turbine system to supplement my home power. I do not plan to go "off grid" but if I can run some of my household using this power, I would be way ahead. I will have a clear view (after removing a couple overgrown trees) for solar, most days. My thoughts, the weakness of solar is when storms roll through where wind turbine would make up the difference. Also, Arcticdude makes a good point. I will look into the tax credits as it may make sense to purchase the equipment this year even if I don't install until next year.

I will keep an eye on the conversation to see if I can pick up other tips.

Living in OK, wind is just a part of daily life, except in the middle of the heat wave. Then it feels like it isn't moving at all. But we have wind farms, and I think it will be a good thing to take advantage of natural resources. Solar and wind are abundant here, so I'd like any info/advice on these that I can get. Thank you @Arcticdude for the info about tax breaks.

Thanks MadMamaBear for starting this conversation. I will be moving to my "retirement" home sometime next year and I have been thinking about the same plan. I want to install a hybrid Solar/Wind Turbine system to supplement my home power. I do not plan to go "off grid" but if I can run some of my household using this power, I would be way ahead. I will have a clear view (after removing a couple overgrown trees) for solar, most days. My thoughts, the weakness of solar is when storms roll through where wind turbine would make up the difference. Also, Arcticdude makes a good point. I will look into the tax credits as it may make sense to purchase the equipment this year even if I don't install until next year.

I will keep an eye on the conversation to see if I can pick up other tips.
I'm 100% off grid on solar with a liqued cooled 12 kw Perkins diesel generator backup. If there are days when the solar won't keep up with demand the generator automatically starts up to keep the battery bank charged. I buy off-road diesel and save on the fuel tax. This generator burns like a quart per hour. I can't imagine ever hooking back up to the grid, even if it was available in my area.

One of the great things about solar is that you can start out small and add additional panels as your budget allows. You can add a wind generator at a later date too if you want. I'm planning on adding a wind generator to my system. We dont get a lot of constant wind in summer but we do in Fall, winter and spring when there's less sun.

Awesome info Arcticdude. If you buy panels, but don't hook them up, is there any maintenance that should be done on them?
Nope. I stored my panels in the barn for almost a year before I put them up. After I mounted them on the pole last fall I wasn't able to connect them right away. No problems. I connected my inverter, battery bank, generator and auto auto start before I connected the solar panels. I ran my system for months on battery power with the generator alone before hooking up the panels. Again, this is what make solar so good. It's very flexible.

I have been doing a little research on solar, found out better info on subject by reading what you all have to say. I would like to know what type battery and how many average would be

I was looking to run around 6 kw worth of solar panels, just never found out how many or if it mattered how many batteries would be needed. Might just have to have an expert do it. Not real found of people I don't know running around my place.

I was looking to run around 6 kw worth of solar panels, just never found out how many or if it mattered how many batteries would be needed. Might just have to have an expert do it. Not real found of people I don't know running around my place.
You could call s company for a consultation off site with the info you already have, to see what they say.

That's an idea, just afraid it would sound like Charlie brown. Get better idea some one already has set up tell me what there running off there set up and what there set up is. I may have to do as you say though.

Holy crap. I just noticed where you are. Not far away.

Have a look at

https://al-solar.wixsite.com/a-s-a

They’re a bunch of solar nerds, and yes, I know a few of them. They’ll be happy to help and shouldn’t pester you to buy something.

Also, Calhoun Community College (Decatur) has a decent solar setup, and they teach it as well. I don’t know who is running that program any more, but here is the link for a 3 day class:

https://calhoun.edu/basic-solar-photovoltaic-pv-design-installation/

That class is $1500, but a friend of mine went through a similar class for HVAC for free that at the time cost $2500. He got a scholarship for it, and I heard most of the class did as well, so it was free......

There are a lot of solar sites on the web that have calculators that you just fill in the blanks and it will tell you the size of both batteries and panels. Just google solar design and start playing around with it. You will learn some and sound more educated when you do talk with someone.
I tell people often that if you want solar, at its current rates and prices, you are doing it for the prepping aspect not trying to save money. It’s still much cheaper to buy electricity than to produce it. That being said, I am planning to install a system here before too long and will post everything I do when I start. I’m a big believer in solar but am doing it for energy independence, not cost savings.

Latest posts

Back