Solar power legal hurdles

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gut6string1

Reaction score
Hi. New here. Im hoping for, seeking advice. I just purchased a solar system for security, self sufficiency. Went to pull permit and come to find in South Carolina only certified firms can legally install. Ok, so as a GC I think, I’ll study, take the exam and get certified. But no. In SC there is no exam offered for certification. I simply pay a fee to add this trade to my services except, the application also requires signed letters of reference from 3 solar install customers. Well how do I have 3 customers if I cant legally sell/install the systems you might ask. I asked. The Licensing board recommended I come out of retirement, take a job with a certified firm and install 3 systems. Seriously. Thats their answer. So the certified firms wont install “outside” systems. One suggestion was to contact “doomsday preppers” online to seek workarounds. So here’s my question. Does anyone here know of a resource serving upstate SC who will pull a permit then either install my system or preferably consult with me to oversee my own installation, or other workarounds. Thanks

Hi. New here. Im hoping for, seeking advice. I just purchased a solar system for security, self sufficiency. Went to pull permit and come to find in South Carolina only certified firms can legally install. Ok, so as a GC I think, I’ll study, take the exam and get certified. But no. In SC there is no exam offered for certification. I simply pay a fee to add this trade to my services except, the application also requires signed letters of reference from 3 solar install customers. Well how do I have 3 customers if I cant legally sell/install the systems you might ask. I asked. The Licensing board recommended I come out of retirement, take a job with a certified firm and install 3 systems. Seriously. Thats their answer. So the certified firms wont install “outside” systems. One suggestion was to contact “doomsday preppers” online to seek workarounds. So here’s my question. Does anyone here know of a resource serving upstate SC who will pull a permit then either install my system or preferably consult with me to oversee my own installation, or other workarounds. Thanks

This is more a curious question on my part as I cannot answer your question.
Is this a requirement only if you are going to connect the system to the grid?

When I installed my solar system I just did it. I didn't feel the need to ask permission from the government. I never bothered to get the silly occupancy permit either when I built the house.
What I understand, at least in my state, is if you build without a permit you can't sell your place IF it's going to be financed. If I ever sell this property it will only be for cash.

Your state is very relaxed on permits and other expenses that other states impose on their inmates,error inhabitants ( taxpayers). You can be very proud of that.
I suppose you're right. I left Oregon 30+ years ago when the invaders from California brought all their Marxist BS rules with them.

Latest posts

Back