Solar on a Budget... or am I chasing a unicorn?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it common for an inverter to have such a huge difference between surge power and continuous power?
On most of the ones I’ve seen it is, but I just started learning about this stuff a few weeks ago. Lots of motors have a huge start up draw and then pull much less once running. You just have to make sure your inverter can handle whatever you throw at it.

Yes, the a/c units I have looked at (window units) usually have a 130-140% draw at first...but never seen something with 100% surge.. I am just curious.

Last edited:
Is it common for an inverter to have such a huge difference between surge power and continuous power?
Pretty common in the larger inverters, not so much in small inverters. Some have a surge power three times that of the continuous.

Brent, unfortunately as you probably have discovered, the options on 4000 watt pure sine inverters is very limited, and most are garbage. I was going to recommend Samlex but when I checked their web site, their largest is a 3000 watt (24 volt).

Last edited:
I have my own design for a Neo magnet motor. No fuel, no lube ( for the full magnet design ) and will run day and night forever. Two things would stop it, fire ( 560 degs ) or an EMP. You could run generators, pumps or where ever you need a motor. Using the same technology build Neo generator, multiple legs at 120 or 240 volts. These magnets range from roughly 175 lbs to 1200lbs pounds of pull in a small size ( 1200lbs is 3 in by 4 in round ). Of course you would want to push instead of pull your motor. If anyone interested in more I'm willing to share all I have. More minds make better ideas

A rough sketch might help us understand what you are trying to do, because I can't make heads or tails out of what you said. It SOUNDS like you are trying build a Magnet Machine, which is a type of perpetual motion machine that people have been trying to "invent" for hundreds of years.

I have my own design for a Neo magnet motor.

By "neo magnet" I assume you mean neodymium magnets, AKA rare earth magnets. They are very strong, but there is nothing magical about them that would allow them to violate the laws of physics and thermodynamics, they are still just magnets.

Pretty common in the larger inverters, not so much in small inverters. Some have a surge power three times that of the continuous.

Brent, unfortunately as you probably have discovered, the options on 4000 watt pure sine inverters is very limited, and most are garbage. I was going to recommend Samlex but when I checked their web site, their largest is a 3000 watt (24 volt).
I’m still learning about products, and agree with your saying the options are limited for the 24v inverters. I’m finding more with the 48v ones And they seem to be more professional. More professionally priced as well.... I’m pretty sure my second system will be a 48v. I could even rewire what I have now and make it 48v without too much trouble but will see after everything else is done.

True, no magic here. It's all in how you use them. There's a wind generator using them making 230v to a rectifier to 12v. There are many ways to use them.
More details please! Seems what you mean is no fossil fuels required - but you can use wind? Still a form of solar energy.

The MattMan shall answer to U:
You must go to Auto Zone and get 12 volt Light bulb, and gator clips, keep going monthly untill you have a roll of wire, and a low voltage buld for each room of your DewmsDae fort... then gradually ask for other Tiny Apliances for Xmas until you are ' Wired-Up' lo-voltz... ehh?

I was able to get 250w panels for 100.00 each, but that was only with buying a pallet of 20. The inverters start at 500 for a decent sized one and then 100AH batteries are about 200 ea. The racks to mount panels and wiring and connectors add up in cost really quickly too. I’m fine with the one time expense but knowing the batteries will need to be replaced in about 5 years is depressing.... so, the main reason I’m doing this is for a backup system in case the grid goes down and propane for the generator isn’t easily available. Cost wise it dosent make sense.
.... will Propane Generators attract Zombies and Raderz?

Sorry about the dead inverter. But, heed my warning. Go with a top-reputation brand for your inverter. Xantrex. Magnum. There are a few others. Look at models used commonly in environments like RVs. They handle shock/vibration and have high-reliability stats.

Note that a motor can draw far more than rating for several seconds. I've been playing with a little motor that is 'rated' for 5 amps, but for 30 seconds at startup, it draws 25 amps. I've tested several of them and get the same power draw.

Brent, keep in mind the 2.9 Kw-hr you measured is 100% dependent on the ambient temperature and how often/long you open the fridge door. What was the outside temperature when you did that test? Repeat the test when it's 10 degrees hotter and see what happens.

In all reality yes the noise from a generator tells people that you have comforts. Honestly though a solar rack of panels probably does too, just more quietly....
And a quiet generator can be heard for 50 ft or so? but solar panels can be seen for quite some distance, visable for a drone with a camera doing surveillance to pick up, etc

Sorry about the dead inverter. But, heed my warning. Go with a top-reputation brand for your inverter. Xantrex. Magnum. There are a few others. Look at models used commonly in environments like RVs. They handle shock/vibration and have high-reliability stats.

Note that a motor can draw far more than rating for several seconds. I've been playing with a little motor that is 'rated' for 5 amps, but for 30 seconds at startup, it draws 25 amps. I've tested several of them and get the same power draw.

Brent, keep in mind the 2.9 Kw-hr you measured is 100% dependent on the ambient temperature and how often/long you open the fridge door. What was the outside temperature when you did that test? Repeat the test when it's 10 degrees hotter and see what happens.
The more I’m learning about inverters I'm seeing that for continuous use it is best to go with the bigger ones that run on higher voltage. The smaller cheaper ones are fine for occasional use (normally, just not that one I got). I’m also learning that the ratings on amazon and eBay aren’t necessarily accurate....
I strongly recommend using the kill a watt meter for anyone considering estimating their power use as it gives you exactly what you use daily. Of course then you need to round up that number for the occasional heavy use or as you said different temperatures or seasons. I rounded up to 4 kWh. I also rounded up my battery storage by double for cloudy days. Basically never design a solar setup for the minimum to run your needs, but give a good bit of extra.

I finally got the replacement inverter today and just got it installed. I changed the wiring a little too. Before I had 10 batteries wired together and had the inverter pulling from the end ones. So all the power had to run through each set of five batteries. I connected it to the middle battery this time and have the two chargers connected on each end of the battery bank. Before one charger was doing most of the work and now it’s evenly split between them. I also added a wall monitor that gives me the battery storage at a glance and has an emergency shutoff switch. It looks kind of cool and professional too ;)! I’m going to give this a couple weeks of running and I believe I will go ahead and do the second Phase of this experiment.

Attachments

• 02CF01EE-B10A-4FED-8215-B4782B1645F3.jpeg
    02CF01EE-B10A-4FED-8215-B4782B1645F3.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11
  • D37BBA55-7E1B-4509-B8ED-6F74A63F4E99.jpeg
    D37BBA55-7E1B-4509-B8ED-6F74A63F4E99.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 4E073459-FBE0-456D-92BE-63AE60C11860.jpeg
    4E073459-FBE0-456D-92BE-63AE60C11860.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 02F497F1-7296-44BC-9548-0262A3EFEE84.jpeg
    02F497F1-7296-44BC-9548-0262A3EFEE84.jpeg