Quantcast

Solar on a Budget... or am I chasing a unicorn?

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Graynomad

Reaction score
I got the new inverter today. The first one is about 15/20lbs. This sucker is easily 70lbs. ...
I’m going to get this up and running soon but want to order another one to have as a backup...
I think my main inverter weighs over 100lbs, but it's 25 years old so old tech and a lot of iron I suspect :)

A few months ago I was smugly thinking that we were doing great being off grid but then I did a risk analysis. Yes we have 3 freezers, 4 fridges, multiple ways to cook, hand tools, 3 banks of solar panels, 4 banks of batteries etc etc. But only one generator and only one inverter/charger. If the inverter (or the charger part of it) fails, we loose all the frozen food and are in a world of hurt in general.

So I bought 2 more chargers, another inverter, and two more generators. I feel a bit happier now.

BTW, I will never buy an inverter/charger again, two many eggs in one box.

And don't talk to me about those smart lithium systems, good luck fixing them if they fail, especially the ones that "talk" to your regulators and inverters (cough Victron/BYD/et al).

David SB

Reaction score
This spring, I will be putting in solar power for my water system up at my acreage. I will post pictures and progress regarding the pumpage, treatment and pressure sub-systems when I start. I plan only only two systems being solar powered, the water and the refrigeration. Everything else will be on grid power. At least that's the plan for now anyway
Everything in steps., now I am putting in a new steel and goat panel fence. It should be complete next Saturday

GeorgiaPeachie

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
This spring, I will be putting in solar power for my water system up at my acreage. I will post pictures and progress regarding the pumpage, treatment and pressure sub-systems when I start. I plan only only two systems being solar powered, the water and the refrigeration. Everything else will be on grid power. At least that's the plan for now anyway
Everything in steps., now I am putting in a new steel and goat panel fence. It should be complete next Saturday
We are looking at putting in 3 different smaller type solar systems. One for a pump to draw water from the lake to pump it up to the house into large containers. How are you going to do your system?

GeorgiaPeachie

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Solar panels wear out. Batteries wear out. Solar is not a viable long term power solution. It is a very expensive short to medium term power solution.
They do DH. The problem is, if the grid goes down, what else is a family going to do? I don’t see a longer solution than solar...unless you have enough water flow for mini hydro...but it is in the same boat as solar, right? We have propane, but it will eventually run out before solar. Especially if one keeps backup parts.

I guess I’m just hoping that the slower change to being totally without power will allow our group time to adjust and therefore save lives.

GeorgiaPeachie

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Let's just say it's cheaper than solar, LOL!
Here are the FEMA plans he talks about:
Great idea DH!! I’ve found a company that makes them. Ex military guy. Not cheap, but certainly not outrageous. This would be a great addition to my preps! :) With it I don’t have to be so worried about getting 2 or 3 of backups for solar system. Amgoing to make it smaller too.

Even on Amazon.