So if water is #1...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For a family of four,stock pile more or less than 1000gal of water?

• More

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Less

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Inevitable

Reaction score
In my introduction, it was said that water is number one. How much should one stock pile and is it better to convert dirty water to clean, store, or have tanks to store rain water?

In my introduction, it was said that water is number one. How much should one stock pile and is it better to convert dirty water to clean, store, or have tanks to store rain water?

Well,that varies by ones access to water.We store a ton of tap water,collect a ton of rainwater,plus have a clean creek on my property with the feeder lake only a mile away and we also have the filtration needed,so luckily water won't be an issue for us.

But those that live in a city or have little access may need to store a lot more than they think.Water is needed for sooo much more than just drinking and cooking.Theres also hygiene,dishes,washing clothes etc,etc that can exhaust a limited supply rather quickly.

A simple rule of thumb (so i've heard) is to add up all you think you may need for however long you are planning for and then times that amount by 4.Of course this only applies if you have very limited or no access to water.

The more methods you have available to store, get, and/or treat water the better. 3 days without it, and you die. No other prep stockpile has that statistic, so that's why it is number one.

Trying to stockpile ALL the water you'll need is an expensive, and likely futile idea. (not to mention, after 6 months, it really needs to be treated then). I have a family of 5, and animals to think about, and we're only stockpiling 380 gallons total.

(4) 50 gallon barrels = 200
(3) 50 gallon rain barrels = 150
(30) gallons worth of bottled water = 30

But, we also have a well, and the rain barrels are replinishable. As a last resort, we also have some local fresh water sources to tap.

Stock and clean is what I believe in.

Stock as much clean water as you can... 3 liters per person per day. In my stocks, I have about 80+ liters of water in storage.

I have a simple water filtration (to remove impurities) and betadine for disinfecting the water.

The above is for my condo unit in the city.

In the farm, I have a deep well. We have several containers of water there for settlement of any impurities in the water.

Minimum water for a family of 4 for 1 year is 1460 gallons. In a city environment, it would be impossible to store that much water. An alternative would be storing as much water as possible, then having Lifestraws or CleanSips and water purification tablets, as well as making sure you know where all water sources - lakes, ponds, streams - are around where you live. Have at least one rain barrel (we actually have a rain barrel at the end of each gutter with a heavy duty screen on top). Part of being prepared isn't just having stuff stored, but also knowing where or how to acquire the things you can't store.

Part of being prepared isn't just having stuff stored, but also knowing where or how to acquire the things you can't store.

So many people forget this... Im glad this point was brought up because the only thing thats as good as having it, is knowing just where to get it and how to use it!!!

Swimming pools offer a large volume of water. If you don't already have one, an above ground pool would serve you with multiple purposes for just a few thousand dolars. For now, while everything is fine, you can cool off in the summer and enjoy family time. When times get bad, you have thousands of gallons of water stored. You just need to make sure you can filter out all the chemicals. This only applies if you are bugging in.

Swimming pools offer a large volume of water. If you don't already have one, an above ground pool would serve you with multiple purposes for just a few thousand dolars. For now, while everything is fine, you can cool off in the summer and enjoy family time. When times get bad, you have thousands of gallons of water stored. You just need to make sure you can filter out all the chemicals. This only applies if you are bugging in.
You don't need to spend thousands for this either. My daughter purchased an above ground pool this summer for her kids and it was on sale for $250, including the filter.

I just need a few days worth. Just need enough to get through a temporary situation or to get to my BOL. At the BOL we have a flowing artesian well, which is basically a pipe that runs 1600 feet down into a high pressure aquifer. If we get stuck here indefinitely, I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way...go make daily water runs to the Chattahoochee.

Yeah, looked into this for months. Getting an above ground, partially sinking it, and building a nice deck around it is WAY cheaper than going the inground route, and if done right, won't even see the difference that much. I also like the idea because I can easily make a sunken bar too. I'm hoping to be able to do this next spring (all depending on funds, etc.)

Latest posts

Back