Snake

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamAshley

Reaction score
I'm wondering for those who eat snake, what is the best way to prepare it?

For a simple snake like garter I like it well done so that the skin and all is a little crispy. Very different from fish which you want cooked but not overcooked and not undercooked enough to make it soft but not so much it is crispy, and no so little it is raw. With snake you just need to cook it until it is stiff imo and it is crispy so you can just nipple from the tip of the tale up to the head.
Snake is weird how it will curl all up when it is cooked on coals.

All I've ever eaten is rattle snake the way I prepare it is cut off the head about 3 inches behind the head to make sure there is no poison glands left in the meat, gut and skin it, wash it, cut it up into 2 or 3 inch chunks, dip it in a milk and egg wash, then dip it in your favorite fish fry mix and fry it up I use a mixture of flour, corn meal, salt and pepper and maybe throw in a little cayenne or whatever I'm in the mood for, it's not as good as fried squirrel with biscuts and gravy but it ain't bad.

wow sounds good, I ended up just cooking the whole thing next to a fire sort of resting on coals. it was a pretty small only about a two foot garter snake.. pretty much the only type of snake up here. There is only one poisonous snake about 7 hour drive to the south in these parts. I saw it once actually. I ended up just eating it whole... except for the lower jaw and frontal jaw where the teeth were.. as well as removing the "gut lining' not sure if you need to. it tasted a bit like fish gut so I removed it. I don't kill them but accidents happen. Actually I have an even larger one hanging out in my yard they seem to like it. as it is shin high foilage.
I'm not going to kill them but if I encounter one that passes away again then I'll have to try battering it... :) it was a bit like turtle but softer.. sort of mix between turtle and fish.

They are a fun food to work with.

* thought I'd add... I'm not sure if it is the case but I feel like animals are attracted to my place for various reasons... smoke, the smell of burning plants and fish... as well as even my inverter.. I think I have hypnotized a bird.. who loves the high pitch oscillation, it seems to nest for long periods quietly chirping with the inverter. Not sure if anyone has encountered birds falling in love with high pitch oscillations. Now I don't recommend this for dubious means but if you want to see birds you could try this method. Its funny though when the inverter turns off the burn soon stops cooing.

All I've ever eaten is rattle snake the way I prepare it is cut off the head about 3 inches behind the head to make sure there is no poison glands left in the meat, gut and skin it, wash it, cut it up into 2 or 3 inch chunks, dip it in a milk and egg wash, then dip it in your favorite fish fry mix and fry it up I use a mixture of flour, corn meal, salt and pepper and maybe throw in a little cayenne or whatever I'm in the mood for, it's not as good as fried squirrel with biscuts and gravy but it ain't bad.

Nice cooking directions. Sounds tasty. The only thing I can add is that the venom glands on the Crotalus ( rattle snakes ) are located in the head, below the eye and posterior ( behind ) the heat sensing pits when looking at the head from the nose towards the tail. There is no need to waste the 3-4 inches of neck by cutting so far back from the head. The venom glands are small and have direct ducting to the hypodermic fangs. There is no possibility of the meat being "infected" by venom unless you smashed the snake's head and caused his fangs to puncture his lower jaws which would allow the glands to express the venom.

In South Texas there is a saying that shows how little people know of the physiology of the Rattler.
They say that the only time to catch a rattler to eat is when they are drinking. The snake supposedly removes his venom bags so that he can drink water.
This is not a lie. I have heard this multiple times, from men of long years and lots of bush experience.

Last edited:
Wow ...I didn't know that. I was taught you could drink snake venom with no I'll effects unless you have ulcers. I was told it was only a protein. Not dangerous unless it was in your bloodstream. ......they say a lot....never saw anyone man enough to drink any. Would seem pretty stupid. I also don't know that to be fact. Kids do not try this at home.

What I know:
Pit Vipers
Crotalus Atrox ( Western Diamondback Rattlesnake)
Crotalus Adamanteus ( Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake )
Agkistrodon Contortrix ( Copperhead )
Agkistrodon Contortix Mokasen ( Water Moccasin )
Agkistrodon Pescivorus ( Cottonmouth )
Venom: Hemotoxic
Venom Composition: Digestive enzymes and peptides
Venom characteristics: Caused break down of soft tissues and causes blood vessels to leach venom as it travels through circulatory system, causing necrotizing effect ( tissue death ).
Anti-venin: Serum based ( Horse blood). Made by injecting venom into horses in small amounts and extracting blood after antibodies have been formed. Blood is them separated and refined for use. Anti-venin is very costly. Upwards of $5000.00 per injection. Sometimes multiple injections required.
Anti-venin cons: Some people are allergic to the ani-venin and have died due to complications.
Side Note: Even with the administration of Ant-venin, the current way to treat snake bite in cludes a very nasty proceedure called a fasciotomy.
Google it, I dare you.

It is true that if you were 100% sure that you had no ulcers, esophogeal scratches, tooth cavities, gingivitis, cankers, or other ways for the venom to enter the blood stream that you could drink it with no ill effect.
But, are you 100% sure?
It is probably obvious that I have an affinity for snakes, huh?

Bill are you trying to say that I don't sugar coat things?

Wiredog, I know firsthand about fasciotomy, Experienced it when I was bit a few years ago by a copperhead. That was mess and a half, ended up with part of my finger rotting off (basically petrified I suppose). Fries wanted to sell it on ebay as mummified Mommy.

yearh.. anyway... that other snake has moved in... but it is welcome here.. it has been trying to get as much heat as it can it seems.

Its only a garter though, although I'm not sure where my chipmunks went off too..?

About the cost of the anti-venom shots... at the University of Missouri hospital which is where I was taken, anti-venom for copperheads runs $7500 a dose. I was given 9 doses. I was told several weeks later when I was finally released from the hospital that most copperhead bites are treated in the emergency room and the patient sent home within 12 hours. Not me. I did a stint in the ICU and followed that by 2 weeks on a regular ward. Try waking up to a priest giving you last rites, that is an eye opener.

One other thing, when you go to the ER with a snake bite, don't expect any pain relief at all. I was given nothing for pain for 3 LOOOONNNNGGGG days because the venom had compromised my breathing as well as kept my blood pressure too low to be given anything for pain. It hurts folks, plain and simple. If I get bit again and I don't get medical attention, I'll die. End of story.

Latest posts

Back