Helpful Info. Small Unit Tactics for the Novice

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
Dear All,

I thought I would post this thread simply because their was a bit of discussion started by Justin's thread. I figured out due to respect to all that were posting on his thread, I would place this info for those who are not sure where to begin. My information comes from my military experience in training and real ops. I've been retired for a bit, I am sure their has been some changes in how the U.S. military now approach things on the ever-changing battlefield, so I will not be surprised if some of our younger members (who have experience also, may chime in or from the law enforcement professionals). In no way is this post meant to trump U.S. military doctrine.

Lastly, I am not here to change peoples attitudes how you plan to train. This is not a discussion blog for me, so I am not going to answer anything that say's their opinion is counter, that your constitutional right and the way you want to live. If you don't think that is the case, my family has not thought highly of my efforts, so they only get the basics, like shadow, I am just trying her to hold a pellet gun, so she knows how safely to handle a weapon, know how to stand, etc...that's pretty much what I thought Shadow was trying to accomplish. Maybe I am wrong, but Shadow, since your in Texas, anytime you want to grab a cup of coffee this summer, lol, maybe on my way to see JimLE.

Justin asked, I saw some good posts. So here is what we did, four of our team members have combat experience, two others have been in combat support roles, so they are familiar with small unit tactics and our lone law enforcement professional has years of being on special tactics teams and worked with state/federal law enforcement agencies. We all train as team leaders, instructors and evaluators. This makes it simple for changing heads and helps our team train if we have to bug out. As I have said in another post, we have fire teams, a recon team, and H/S team (Command and Control). You can see that we have a mixed influence because of Army, Marine and Air Force influence. Sorry Navy, we haven't been able to recruit a SEAL, but were working on that one.

So I realized the post was just going to be to long. So I made a word document up that covers just the basics. I encourage most not to take my document as gospel, seek manuals and real life experts...their are tons now since we are winding down with Afghanistan and Iraq. Honestly, one of my guys that did several tours in those area, well I just shut up and listen. Since he is not in town this week, I didn't have time to run the doc by him. He's not much into discussing when he is on the golf vacation. So I am sure, when I show him my doc, he is going to rip it for sure. So if you've got a comment or two..go ahead, I've got my granny panties on. Oh, if your critiquing because of format or grammar...really, I told my editor to take the week off, lol.

You need a PDF Reader to open it up.

Attachments

• Small Unit tactics for the Novice.pdf
    191.3 KB · Views: 16
Thanks Jontte,

I never got to mention when we first started blogging I noticed your profile Avatar looks very similar to the Finnish Military unit flash...can't remember where I saw it, but sure it looks similar. As for training, I'd say in Finland, I'd see if their are any former Finnish military people that might offer some basic training. Never hurts to get some training, from your local professionals there. I remember reading when I was in High School about Russo-Finnish War. That war was like David fighting Goliath...didn't hurt that the Russian's purged their military officers, but like getting their nose broke on the first attempt. I immediately had respect for most of the Scandinavian forces, simply because the terrain is brutal. Just like living in North Dakota. Not to mention my wife's family is German, Ukrainian and Norwegian. A few Sweedes live in North Dakota, but her maternal grandmother was Norwegian. In fact, her aunt (the only one living of nine children, has the cutest Scandinavian accent, she's my favorite aunt of all of her family, lives just outside Minneapolis and at 79, still driving and negotiating life. Take care.

Silent Bob,

it's the old insignia for finnish protection force,est. in early 1900's,they had to put it out of business after the ww2,russkies didn't like them,and for training i joined my army reserve-unit,in the wintertime 2-times a month at the shootingrange,then it's out in the woods to do some other training,i like to make some 10k marches just to keep me reasonable fit.

Greeting Jontte,

I guess I am not getting that old. My old history teacher in high school was a big World War II aficionado, okay I am dating myself, he was too young to join the Army in World War 2, but saw action in Korea. So he was always talking about those two wars. He had tons of books on his book shelf. I think one of his books talked about the Finnish War, so I possibly saw the flash back then. I don't recall ever training with any of the Finnish Army that would have exposed me to the crest. So thanks for sitting me straight.

As for you my friend! As we say to all our brethren that serve, thanks for your service. As for training, I've done my time in the Dakotas, trained at Fairchild, Washington for Air Force survival in the Fall, and went through an Army artic course in Alaska, but I think the coldest place I ever had been was Korea...something about the seas on both sides that brings the humidity level high 80-90% in the Winter, combine that with the winds off their mountains and the normal temperature, got blue balls there. Mind you Alaska on the flats was cold, but it was dry, like the Dakotas, wear enough layered clothing and don't sweat doing activities, your just fine, snug as a bug as I like to say. Lol, part of the reason, when ever I mention snow, she starts shaking her head, I think after leaving her home for Turkey...she got the message, not I have to remind you, she hates the beach! What woman hates the beach, but she does. We are heading to Florida this summer, wife is going to be with her friend at restaurants and shopping, while me and the kids well we will do Disneyworld and the beaches in Daytona.

Anyway, that training that the Finnish Army does, if involves cross country skiis...maybe one day, you find yourself across the pond, we could head up to Colorado, you could teach me, I skied in high school but never the cross country stuff! My treat hot chocolate and marshmallows...lol

aaah,the humidity,makes life so much....worse ;) ,i would love to visit the USA,skip the big citys, experience something different away from citys,take no worries abt that crest my friend.
it's strange what humidity does,it can turn even a mild wintertemp to real hell.
ok,hot chocolate and marshmallows sounds great :)
sandy beaches,warm water,sun...sounds very good indeed

Good information Silent Bob! I'd like to add one simple thing that you may have mentioned and I just over looked. If your a small group, or maybe just two, remember the "Triangle" when approaching a threat. For those who are not familiar with that, it's when you and your partner form a triangle with the threat. This helps you to avoid cross fire with your partner, whom you don't generally want to shoot. Other than that, all the formations you mentioned were the same ones I was taught/trained in SWAT school.

WestCoast,

Great and valid points, yes, I omitted not only the triangle formation, but glossed over a ton of stuff on purpose. Didn't cover much about ambushes, establishing a defensive position and really left the entire aspect of offensive operations. I did this on purpose, one because I can't cover it in a PDF file, it really needs to be leaned not only in the classroom and as you know from your SWAT experience, nothing beats just repetitive training under simulated battle exercises. Really the intention was to simply teach some really basic stuff that people can use around their BOL, possibly with a little help from above, survive the brunt of the initial shock of an attack or if on patrol, avoid the hasty ambush or being caught out in the open either on a roadside patrol or in an open field. It was not written to defeat a well armed, trained and determined OPFOR. I saw your initial thread on your welcome, again thanks for your service.

I agree the triangle formation is something that needs to be trained, I opted also not to place too much information online, out of respect to law enforcement who have enough problems with what they are doing in the real world.

If you really want to get my slant on what will happen after an event, send me a conversation post, we can offline without someone misunderstanding something that I post. As I said in my initial post, this PDF wasn't meant to trump another person who has more experience, just was given to the novice, who without any training, might be able to use some basic skills and survive another day.

Warmest regards,

Silent Bob

Latest posts

Back