SKILLS

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
SKILLS

I think / believe that it is prudent for preppers AND their family members to be STRONGLY encouraged to pick up as many skills, certificates and licences as possible in subjects they are INTERESTED in.

Yes before we start we all know everyone in our groups must know how to shoot a pistol / rifles, do first aid, start a camp fire etc that’s a given as they say in the US.

But Spouses, Kids, Group members realistically should have INTERESTS and HOBBIES that they are encouraged to explore / learn / master in greater depth.

Reconnaissance and Report making skills ( NO the Impi, Soviets or Apaches are coming over the hill is not enough)

Car licence? YUP, but how about a 4x4 skill and competency course?

What about Motorcycle / Quad/ Skidoo skills?

What about trailer loading skills

Trailer USING skills

Vehicle maintenance and repair / Winching/ Wheel changing / Puncture repair.

If you cannot STICK SHIFT you cannot REALLY drive :)

What about a Truck / semi licence or lessons

What about SAILING lessons, Boating licence, Light Aircraft licence

How about mastering cheap microlights, paragliders, gyrocopters

Canoeing / kayaking skills

Don’t forget Maritime and Aviation BASIC navigation as well as overland Nav skills (especially dense forest and desert nav if necessary)

First aid

Chainsaw use

Abseiling ? rappelling?

Cooking

Doing laundry without power or a machine

HORSE riding ??

Computer use

Basic domestic electrical repair skills 220 and 110 and 12vdc

Basic carpentry joiner.

Merkin, Viking, Boer or fabulously good looking Brit its our duty to ensure our family group constantly picks up as many useful skills as we can.

good points there raider.just like being able to go out and hunting.to skining n cleaning animals to put meat on the table is very important.so is those other skills..the more a person knows and capable of doing.the better off they are in knowledge and abilties..

true..i learned a new knot a few days ago,when i made some tie backs for some curtains..i grew up in the country.so i became pretty good at navigation in the woods.but yet.i still need to improve on both..

What has often scared the crap out of me with client groups and families of preppers is when they proudly point out " Dad is the one who hunts for food in our plans," or Bill is the groups Medic , and Joe is the Groups radio operator, this is Mike who repairs all our vehicles, and Josh here is our groups expedition navigator.

I usually respond by putting the folks through a few scenarios in response EG

OK So Dad takes ill or breaks his leg and cannot hunt, so which of you will take over?
or

Whilst bugging out Bill has a heart attack / Joe falls off the roof and breaks his neck Mike doesn't turn up when the Bug Out signal is sent and the Navigator Josh gets captured by the feds.

So who takes over with sufficient skills to do the jobs when your single skill expert is killed, lost, dead or missing.

We have a good group within our family that be up on the property, 4 of us are combat vets 2 that are triage nurses, 1 heavy mechanic 1 mechanic and fabricator, 1 mineralogist we all hunt and fish, we all garden, we all work with and raise live stock, the grandkids are superb with live stock, in large we are pretty diverse and can pretty much fill in any gaps that we may encounter. Just hope to never test that assumption.

NR I think you have bested yourself with this one .
As a kid growing up a big part of your above list was how I ran and played passing the time in the TN Countryside .
Except Im not a horse fan and struggle with backing a trailer

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

A prepper should be comfortable in the city and in the woods, competent with vehicles and animals, skilled with weapons and medical skills, be able to navigate with and without GPS / Compass, stay warm when its cold - stay cool when its warm, be able to ride a bike, sail a boat or trot a horse.

App available on GooglePlayStore called "Useful Knots" probably very basic but a usefull start.

Though books are better I tend to tell people to stay away from digital media, when the power is out during a storm makes for the best time to practice with knots kind of hard to do if everything is in a digital format ;)

Latest posts

Back