Helpful Info. Simple bread recipes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Prepper

A True Doomsday Prepper
Administrator
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Share your simple bread recipes and stock up.

Flatbread, no yeast.
Ingredients
CupsMetric
  • ▢2 cups plain flour (all purpose flour) (level cups, unsifted, not packed), + keep 1/4 cup extra for dusting & adjusting dough
  • ▢1/2 tsp salt
  • ▢3 1/2 tbsp / 50g unsalted butter (1.75 oz)
  • ▢3/4 cup milk
Instructions
  • Melt butter in milk: Combine butter and milk and heat until butter is just melted – on stove or in microwave.
  • Combine Dry: Combine 2 cups flour, salt, butter and milk in a bowl.
  • Knead 2 minutes: Sprinkle work surface with flour then knead for a few minutes until it is smooth – it doesn't need much kneading. Add extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
  • Rest 30 minutes: Wrap with cling wrap and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.
  • Roll into rounds: Dust bench top with flour, cut dough into 6 pieces, roll into balls, then roll out into 20cm / 8" rounds, 2 – 3 mm thick.
  • Heat oil: Heat a non stick pan over high heat (no oil). (Note 1)
  • Cook: Place one flatbread in the pan, cook for around 1- 1 1/2 minutes – it should puff up dramatically. Once the underside has nice golden patches on it, flip and cook the other side for 45 seconds to 1 minute until the underside has golden spots and it puffs up again.
  • Keep wrapped in tea towel: Stack the cooked bread and keep wrapped with a tea towel – the moisture helps soften the surface, making them even more pliable. Continue to cook with remaining pieces.
  • Brush with butter or oil (optional): Brush or spray bread with olive oil or melted butter, for a more luxurious finish. Or even with melted butter mixed with minced garlic for a garlic butter version!
Recipe Notes:
1. Higher heat and the thinner the dough = crispier crust, though still pliable inside, the thin crispy crust on the outside might crack when you roll it. This is how I make naan. The larger darker brown spots on the bread (see image in post) make it look like authentic naan, just like what you get at Indian restaurants! (If you got the time, here’s my proper naan recipemade with yeast. It’s just like you get at Indian restaurants – super soft and fluffy!)

2. STORING:Dough keeps in the refrigerator for around 3 days. Tip: Roll out the rounds, ready to cook. Just make sure you use baking paper or cling wrap to keep the pieces separated, flour will not suffice.

Cooked breads keep really well in the freezer!

3. Wholemeal flour –Works great with WHOLE WHEAT flour, does not work with almond flour. See note 4 for Gluten Free.

4. Dairy free / vegan substitutions:A reader tried the original recipe then reported back that it also worked just as great substituting the butter with olive oil and almond milk for the dairy milk to make it a vegan / dairy free version. Brilliant! Another reader has also made this with coconut oil and reported it works great.

5. Gluten free option – This works pretty well with Gluten Free flour. You may need a bit of extra flour to roll it out – just add more as required. The texture is a bit different – a bit chewy, and you may not be able to roll them out into neat rounds.

My husband adores Indian Chapatis when we have Indian curry. Since I have both white and red wheat berries in my prepping pantry, this whole wheat recipe will will come in handy when SHTF. This is the recipe I have been using:

Chapati (Indian Flat Bread) Recipe

Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons wheat flour, for rolling and dusting

Instructions
  1. Sieve the flour, add salt to it and mix well. Place the flour in a large bowl and add 3/4 cup of the water. Stir gently with fingers in a circular motion until the flour starts to gather. Add 1-2 tablespoons more flour if the dough looks too sticky. Add more water if it looks too dry and firm.
  2. Knead the flour until it becomes soft and pliable and doesn't stick to your fingers. You can put a little oil on your hand while kneading the dough to help with kneading. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour, at room temperature. You may store the dough in refrigerator. Just thaw to room temperature before using it.
  3. Once ready to make chapatis, heat the griddle over medium-high heat. Divide the dough into 10-12 equal-sized dough balls. Working on one dough ball at a time. Roll a dough ball in the flour and flatten it a bit with your hands. Transfer the flatten ball to a clean flat surface, roll it with a rolling pin into a 6-7 inch disc. If the dough sticks to the surface, dust the surface with more flour.
  4. Place the chapati on the hot griddle and cook for 30 seconds or until tiny golden dots appear on the surface, flip over and cook the other side. Flip over again and soon the chapati will start to puff up. Use a folded kitchen towel and press gently on the puffy chapati to push the air to the flatten part of of the chapati. The whole bread should puff up into a round ball.
  5. Transfer the cooked chapatis to a serving platter. You may baste it with a little butter or ghee. Serve immediately.

I usually make another 25-30 hardtack biscuits each month or so. But I do have another PDF full of bread recipes. I have so many biscuit, bread, tortilla, bannock and such receipes that I can do another one every 3 days for about 3 months and not repeat one. See if there is anything new for youself here. Not just receipes, also a study of house temperatures, types of flour and such from the Utah State University, I realised how many little mistakes I was making sometimes. Something small will change the outcome of your bread, even tho you followed the receipe exactly. Gary

Attachments

• Enjoy Yeast Breads - FN283.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
My favorite is bush bread. Not as simple but, oooh. The one I make has cocoa, instant coffee, brown sugar, honey and molasses...in a combo of wheat flour and white flour. I wish I could give you exact measurements but, I have been making it so long, I just do it by eye. I'm sure there plenty of recipes on the net for it.

Excellent quick meal/snack when you add a slice of cheese!

You don't necessarily need sourdough starter, depending on where you live. There are so many natural yeasts in the air, if you just let water and flour sit, it will ferment. Where we live, the natural yeasts give sourdough a pretty nasty flavor, so I use a starter usually. For those who live out west, it probably tastes pretty good, though.

You don't necessarily need sourdough starter, depending on where you live. There are so many natural yeasts in the air, if you just let water and flour sit, it will ferment. Where we live, the natural yeasts give sourdough a pretty nasty flavor, so I use a starter usually. For those who live out west, it probably tastes pretty good, though.

Juniper berries (what we call cedar here) have natural yeast on them. Gives the bread a little twang.

You also do not need to leaven the bread at all. When I was a kid at a survival camp, the sent us out with only flour and salt...we made some pretty tasty stone cooked flatbreads.

Bread machine recipe from Joseph's Kitchen.

Recommended ingredients
1 Tsp. unrefined natural sea salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil ,
1/3 cup organic dark honey, Raw & Unfiltered Honey
3 cups hard red wheat berries, freshly milled Saf-instant Yeast
1 cup hard white wheat berries, freshly milled
1 ½ cups plus 1 Tbsp. hot water (approximately 130°F)
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 Tbsp. powdered lecithin or 1 tsp. liquid lecithin.

Instructions
1. Pour hot water into the small beaker.
2. Pour in the salt; stir until dissolved and allow the excess pink salt to settle at the bottom.
3. Pour the salt water into the large beaker and discard the undissolved minerals.
4. Combine honey, oil, and eggs into a saucepan and mix well. Stir constantly over low-medium heat until the
mixture reaches 100°F - 120°F.
5. Pour the salt water and honey, oil, and egg mixture into the bread machine pan.
6. Pour the yeast on top of liquid mixture.
7. Gently pour the freshly milled flour into the Saki Bread Machine.
8. Add Lecithin and press “select 12” and press “start”.

For the first few times, until you get the recipe down, check the bread every so often to make sure everything looks
correct, and that the machine has not stopped. This isn’t required but recommended until you’ve mastered your recipe.
Once it has finished baking, remove from the machine and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

I make a killer bush bread...with ground wheat flour, instant coffee, molasses and cocoa.

This is kind of the recipe I follow but, I have tweaked it to taste, added molasses, brown sugar and omitted the food coloring.

https://www.food.com/recipe/outback-steakhouse-bushman-bread-25456
Right now, I am thinking, with this cold front hitting tomorrow, it is homemade bread time!!!

Last edited:

I keep a starter going most of the time. Not much effort is required and it really does a fantastic job! The taste is delicious!

Mom pulled out her bread machine today. The book with it is so old, it doesn't mention gluten free. Can I use my GF flours to make homemade bread. Looking for options when SHTF and Grace has to move home.

Do I have to use the machine or can I just put in a pan. I have never made any homemade bread except corn bread, biscuits and pancakes.

Do you
Mom pulled out her bread machine today. The book with it is so old, it doesn't mention gluten free. Can I use my GF flours to make homemade bread. Looking for options when SHTF and Grace has to move home.

Do I have to use the machine or can I just put in a pan. I have never made any homemade bread except corn bread, biscuits and pancakes.
I have no answer, but I am curious- do you make gluten free breads with baking powder to get it to rise?

Latest posts

Back