similar catastrophe

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
getnready asked Are all preparing for similar catastrophe? in the hello from Texas topic that dave58 started in new members welcome & introduction..that got me to thinking..what if there were a topic for each state in the u.s. and the same for the other country's as well..this way each person of each state/region/country can post what their prepping for when it comes to their area..this way.someone might get a good/great idea from someone else..

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Not prepping for any one particular threat, just the idea of being more self-sustainable, and less reliant on the grid, because there are a whole host of threats that could take it down, and send us back to the pioneer days. So, I'd rather already have the pioneer tech level tools in place, rather than have to find/make them after.

Also, here in FL, getting power outages in the country isn't exactly rare, so nice to not have to worry during them. Simply fire up the oil lamps, take out a board game, and cycle the generator now and then for the fridge/freezer. Plus, currently if we lose power, we lose water (until we install a manual pump), so we like to have stored water for us and all the animals also.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
exactly gaz..but yet..here you are in fl,and here i am in tx.some things will work for both of us.like oil lamp for light hand pumps for water,solar panel for electric,etc etc.but yet just because one thing works for you.dont mean it'll work for me.and same thing applys when it comes to one item that works for me,dont mean it works for you as well.what im hoping for here.is that the diff topic's will help give everyone better idea(s) to what they need and dont need in the way of preps...

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
think it's how you fine tune your prepping,getting good ideas from here helps,but as we live in different climates not everything is ok to you as it's ok to me,for me living here shelter is a number 1 priority,after that is done I have a possibility

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Gotcha. For example, "heat" simply isn't an issue here, but we do have to worry about keeping cool, which is actually a more difficult challenge....just not as lethal. So, our preps also consider ways to keep cool without power once it fails. One example is changing windows to be a kind that allows for ventilation. Another is the use of fans, with backup power options for those. Finally, the problem of refrigeration. In a cold climate during winter, this isn't an issue (all of outside is an icebox).

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
heat can be as leathal as cold,so enviroment will be one of ours greatest threats to us.
that's why I like this forum,one gets good advice from you friends and then you need to apply it to your special needs,
right now we have it damp,windy and cold and no heating,the calender says it's summer so the heating's off

Graynomad

Reaction score
That's why I like it where I am, it's almost the middle of winter now and today I was out working in shorts and no shirt. In six months I'll still be out working in, you guessed it, shorts and no shirt. So far we haven't used the heater and we've never felt the need for AC and you can't really run them on solar anyway.

How you guys live in the upper northern hemisphere I have no idea.

One example is changing windows to be a kind that allows for ventilation.
Ventilation is THE key to keeping cool in hot weather, windows that open 100% and on opposite sides of a room to catch any breeze. Two windows in every room if possible, one does nothing to encourage a cross breeze. And in the bedroom have them down at bed level, not 2 feet above the bed as most houses seem to do. Also walls should not go all the way to the ceiling, leave a gap of at least a foot to allow air flow. In other words exactly how modern western houses are NOT built.

Here's a pic or our bedroom in the truck

Totally open on three sides and the roof opens as well to lose radiant heat to the sky. The only problem is we sometimes lose a pillow out the window :)

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
trple glasing in the windows,good insulation and,well call me old fashioned,but wool,that's the material I preffer when cold,don't like some of the high-tec stuff, so here in Fin the cold is an issue,if I loose heating in mid-winter I'm screwed,these "modern" houses don't have a fireplace,so it's a problem that I only can fix is if I get some propane/butane heaters

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
im sure we all can agree that shelter always comes first for everyone.no shelter means no surviveing.yeah heat can be as leathal as cold.mainly for those who cant handle the heat as well as others..so ventalation is a big plus when there's no AC to speak of.maybe a boxfan on oppisite side of home that the wind is blowing from to force the air on through and out...

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
trple glasing in the windows,good insulation and,well call me old fashioned,but wool,that's the material I preffer when cold,don't like some of the high-tec stuff, so here in Fin the cold is an issue,if I loose heating in mid-winter I'm screwed,these "modern" houses don't have a fireplace,so it's a problem that I only can fix is if I get some propane/butane heaters
arent there wood heater stoves where you live?

Graynomad

Reaction score
Jontte, are you allowed to have a wood fire/stove/heater? If so can you install one?

I always figured I should live some place where all you need for a house is four poles, a roof and some fly wire :), I know people that do live quite comfortably in such structures. I'm a few 100k to far south for that but we don't need much more. Certainly if my heater or fan break it's little more than a slight inconvenience.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
nope,not eve required for the new detached houses being built now a days,the old ones may have a fireplace, here our enviromentalparty,the greens, think that burning wood pollutes the air so they wanna ban it in the city altogether

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
as I rent my flat can't do and not allowed to install anything like that,so in an emergency those propane/butane heaters would be something of a life saver,as long as I don't do any structural work to my place it's ok,just keep prepping in silence

Latest posts