Silent and Deadly

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBoatWillis

Reaction score
I've been teaching my dog hand signals so if there comes a time where I cant talk he will know what to do. I've always preferred to be silent, knives over a gun. The hard thing though is teaching my wife. She says she wants to learn but she wont ever make time for me to teach her. Its always something she puts off. I have tried to tell her that it will be a useful skill to learn, even right now it would be useful. My dad taught me and my siblings and we loved it. I learned military hand sings from him and it was one of the best tools I learned. It is better to be seen than heard. It was simple to learn and easy to teach. You use the basics and add on to that. You pretty much make your own language, something only you and those you teach would know. It is fun and free to learn. Knife skills are great to learn. I am taking another training coarse this coming Summer and there are so many things you can do.

SIGNS.jpg like these??

and other things can be added to hand signals/movements.like a certain face expresion.that way,if someone else knows the hand signal,will think something else is being said.

Just out of curiosity how hard is it to teach a dog hand sines
That all depends on the dog! To my knowledge any good training includes hand signals. Dogs don't have a language as advanced as ours, so they read visual cues more intently than we do.

it shouldn't be to hard to teach a dog hand signals.but it's gotta have the needed smarts,and willingness to learn thoe.i had a dog once,that was part husky,and part something else.in which i taught it basic hand signals when i was 17 and 18 years old.he was a real good dog.

not any more? those guys sure could have some nice tips to teach to us in how to handle a dog.

not any more? those guys sure could have some nice tips to teach to us in how to handle a dog.
It used to be not common but fairly well known once over . IIRC it was 1 click for stop/ down, 2 for left , 3 for right, 4 for circle, 5 for fetch etc. Wife says she remembers them using little hand operated clickers as well as their tongues. Most UK shepherds appear to use a combination of whistling and words these days.

Oh man this could come in handy the first one that would come to me is a silent command for attack say if the day ever come that someone got the drop on you they probably I not going to be watched the dog could give you a way out

I teach my lab both hand signals and verbal commands. They need CONSTANT reinforcement...or at least my dog does. And it's far from 100%, but he's gotten better.

About the only thing I can't do, is keep him from wanting to run and bark at the horses on the other side of the fence. Nothing seems to work after he takes off and wants to do it.

Typically, "come!" will bring him running up to me...but not when this happens. Same with the hand signal for come...no dice when this one event happens. It's like he just went stupid when he sees the horses.

I taught my dog a few hand signs like, come, stop, down and stay. While having a few beers one day, which he fetched from a snow bank, I taught him to lay down, roll over and show his uh...dog parts, all with hand signs.

I inadvertently learned a hand signal for that (it's making a claw, because he wants you to rub his belly)....

Gazroks Lab guess which one it is ? :)

Well, it is Plant City, so the Meth Lab would be a good guess, but it's the black one in the upper right. That's my "Domino". (I didn't name him).....

Latest posts

Back